• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Filters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zenos

So I wasn't sure if this would go in general hardware or here, I decided here since it is a cooling problem for me. Right now I have the stock fan filters that my friend gave me when he handed me my Thermaltake Chaser MK. They are very loud and when I stick my hand above my fan with filter and without filter it's night and day. I was wondering what I should be looking for in fan filters, or if anybody knew of any good ones that are not very restrictive but still allow exceptional flow. I do have a high static pressure fan with 110+ Cfm and it just isn't pumping any air on to my g card. Just to be clear I need a very good filter as I live near farms and a mine. Therefore quite dusty.

Last edited:
Well you have a problem with 100 CFM. Number one you have a TON of airflow but twice the airflow of a NORMAL PC fan. So your gonna get twice the dust.

Your filters block a ton of airflow, do you still get dust in the case? If not I have a solution.

You need better filters,too many choices to pick from and there are MANY MANY sources to try. It's not something can point to, this is the one for you. So do your best you can.

Your solution is fan shrouds. Take an old fan, cut the inside out till you have just the outside, no blade or motor. Put that between the fan and filter it will help a lot. Maybe.

Your stuck between silly high CFM and a dusty environment and needing filters. Your an unusual case and I can only think try the shroud to cut the noise down.

Demci Flex are magnetic and come with a thin frame to stick to nonmetal surfaces to mount the filter to. Have a look here. The Air flow is surprisingly high,
they're washable, and they catch just about everything. I have no dust inside my external rad because of these.
+1 to Conumdrum's idea for a shroud. It's worth a shot.

Well you have a problem with 100 CFM. Number one you have a TON of airflow but twice the airflow of a NORMAL PC fan. So your gonna get twice the dust.

Your filters block a ton of airflow, do you still get dust in the case? If not I have a solution.

You need better filters,too many choices to pick from and there are MANY MANY sources to try. It's not something can point to, this is the one for you. So do your best you can.

Your solution is fan shrouds. Take an old fan, cut the inside out till you have just the outside, no blade or motor. Put that between the fan and filter it will help a lot. Maybe.

Your stuck between silly high CFM and a dusty environment and needing filters. Your an unusual case and I can only think try the shroud to cut the noise down.

The only problem with that is this is an odd shaped fan that I found, don't even know the name of it. It's really powerful and I could never for the life of me find another for the rear of my case. Thanks for the input, definetely something I'm going to keep in the back of my head when I have some old fans to chop up, at the moment I am pretty new to computers and haven't gathered many supplies to play around with.:rain:

Back