• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fanless watercooling setup for above average overclocking of 8core chips.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arlekiin

Registered
Hi,

So if I wanted to create a waterloop which is fanless but would still like to OC my 5960x (or anything else similar or above) then how would I do it?
Is it viable these days? Could it be done using off the shelf radiators and pumps?

Thanks,

You'll need some sort of airflow to remove the heat away from the radiator(s) if you plan on using more than one. How will you accomplish that without fans? You'll be at the mercy of ambient temps. Best bet is to just use a top-o-the-line air cooler. Save money and you'll get the same temps.

Well I suppose ~500rpm counts as silent.
I am not completely new to watercooling and do grasp the concept of the heat having to removed from the radiators. However there are few rads out there which are meant for passive use so I am looking for experiences with such experiments and if it could be maybe that ~20% more effective compared to aircooler especially considering I wouldn't want that aircooler having a fan that would make it more than silent. Also where I live ambients do not get that high even at summer its ~25 at worst and mostly ~20 at "worst".

I have used "Scythe" to OC the crap out of my 920 and could get quite good OC results without running a cooler on it. Lets just say i'm looking into loops/solutions that can keep the whole system clocked while whisper silent under load and "dead" at idle/casual use.
Thanks for the input though.

Last edited:
Your best answer for this is simply more rad space. Either multiple rads or look into the monster MORA3 type rads. As Nebulous eluded though, in a long enough time line even a monster loop like that will become saturated and you'll need some form of air flow. Just find the quietest fans you can find and that will do the trick.

Oooooorrrrrr, if you wanted to go the extreme route read up on this. hehehehe.

Hah, that extreme route is bonkers but cool in a way if I was doing earth-cooling/heating anyways it wouldn't be impossible to connect your pc to it I guess :p

As for more rads I was quite impressed with the video that seemed to demonstrate "monsta" type rads being basically not that effective in pc setup so it would seem that it makes sense to go with thin/light rads but with more surface area in total.

You can also go with an outdoors radiator route. A cast iron radiator like this one and a good strong pond pump. Plenty of tubing and bury the radiator in your yard like 3 feet deep.

It'll be dead silent and you'll get really cool temps. Depending where you're located you'll have to deal with condensation during the winter months. A friend and long time member here did just that. The rad he used was twice the size I linked, and he used an Iwaki pump. He had 5 rigs running off that one loop and under heavy loads his cpu temps with in the mid teens.

Unfortunately burying radiators into my yard is not viable as I live in the city and my yard is a tad too far away but if it was behind my window/wall i'd consider it, seems quite efficient really. However in this case I was wondering in more traditional terms or at least apartment friendly. Very cool though.

In my cooling system I still have to turn the fans on after a while.
even with the mora, 4x180 and the supernova 9 x120 in the loop it still would get heat saturated.
with a very low wattage setup you can do it but, at some point it's going to warm up.

Several members here hung their rads out the window which worked quite well, but then again during the summer you might run into issues temp wise. You're pretty limited unless you use multiple large rads like monster MORA3 type rads as Blay stated.

So if I wanted to create a waterloop which is fanless...

Fanless? Sure, it can be done and has been done in the past. As others have already said, radiator capacity is the key. Nowadays though, motherboards are hotter, CPUs have multiple cores and are hotter, and just about every component inn your computer case generates heat. What about the video card? Is that in the loop too or you plan to run passive heat sink? Don't forget the power supply, most have at least one fan. To be truly fanless without case ventilation or radiator fans, that will take some work and trial and error too I'm guessing. There are several fans available nowadays that are so quiet that they are essentially silent. If I were in your shoes, I'd get about four 120mm super quiet fans (2 for the case and 2 for the rad). Might still need more radiator capacity. I would try it with what you got first and check temps. If too hot, you need more rad.

EDIT: Ok, I got carried away with "fanless". After rereading it, you said fanless waterloop . Forget the vid card and PS part of my response, the end result is the same, find some super quiet nearly silent fans. Hey, isn't there a way to run lower voltage to a fan to make it quieter?

Hi,

So if I wanted to create a waterloop which is fanless but would still like to OC my 5960x (or anything else similar or above) then how would I do it?
Is it viable these days? Could it be done using off the shelf radiators and pumps?

Thanks,

Ok admirable goal, couple things to think about what have you bought or already have? The issue with silence is that the further down range you go the more issues will start. First most pumps aren't silent and tend to wine, that whine is normally masked by airflow. Second if you manage to get a low flow pump you'll then have to deal with coil-whine. To have a truly silent PC you're going to have to think and search hard to make that possible. It's not impossible it just wont be easy but the cooling is the easiest part.

The first place I'd start is looking at a case with heavy sound deadening or start buying dynamat, second I would start looking for radiators or passive air cooled setups. http://www.silentpcreview.com/ Has always been a valuable resource in that regard.

Sentential beat me to it but if you get to the point where the fans are making no noise then you will hear the wine of the pump.

Back