• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans spin, then they go off, no power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squasher

I have just put together a new build
2400+
9600 powercolor
400w fsp n/p psu
NF7
512 stick of ch5

I hit the switch at the back of the psu and I get the red "ready" light from the mobo. Then I hit the powers switch. The cpu fan and the psu fan(I don't have any others in right now open case) spin for a second, but then they stop. The ready light remains on.
I have tried other ram and looked for shorts and I am at a loss of what to do. Any suggestions?

I tried to short my psu to see if it would go on, when I did the psu fan spun about once then stopped. Is this an RMA?
Its a 400w fortron N/P

squasher said:
I tried to short my psu to see if it would go on, when I did the psu fan spun about once then stopped. Is this an RMA?
Its a 400w fortron N/P

You need to adjust the ovp protection inside the psu :) That will of course void your warranty. It's the 2 in the middle if I remember correctly. Turn them counter clockwise so it would a lot of voltage for it to trip :)

squasher said:
The problem is, if it is broken I really want to rma it, I saw a powersuply tester at circuit city, would that help?

How old was this fortron anyways? Yeah your idea is much better, Just rma that pos and grab a stronger fortron. :p

Edit: Dont bother with psu tester. Those are also a pos equipment for testing a defective psu :p

squasher said:
Yeah, thats what I did, no go.
So its an RMA I guess, that ruins my weekend.
Ahhh the joys of yelling at computer parts

It's alright MrSuasher :) , At least your getting a new one in return from this P.O.S that's giving you a lot of hassles from using your rig :p

My friend had this same problem, what we did was unplug everything unnecessary and it booted up fine. His final solution, until he gets a new one, is to hit the power button and plug his x800pro in very quickly. While I would not have recomended this, it works for him.

i had the same problem for 6 or 7 ECS boards. it wasnt the PS for me, once i put in a gigabyte, it booted up no problem.

but mine would turn on, i just had to sit there turning on and off the PS and hitting the power button about 20 times and it would start.

the store had a bad batch of ECS boards i guess. or maybe all ECS boards are bad :p

Back