• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FAQ on programming languages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

U|tim4T3z

Registered
Hello to all the programming geeks. Well, I neither have any programming experience nor attend any programming classes. However, I would like to buy some books and learn from it. Sad that, I had encountered several of difficulties and confused me indeed! The bellows are my faced problems, so hopefully can be solved with satisfy of answer.

a)Is Visual C++ same as C++?
b) What is C#? Does it more advance than C++?
c) What is J++? Which compiler does it used?
(Is it worth to learn J++?)
d) What is the best compiler for C++?
e) Can C++ program a DOS environment application?
f) So what should I learn? C# or C++?
g) Is VB.NET and C#.NET a new programming language?
h) Can VB.NET compiler compile the VB6 codes?
(If it can’t, then what compiler does VB.NET use?)
i) As you see, I need to learn VB6 or VB.NET?
j) What kind of languages does Microsoft Visual Studio.NET can compile?
k) Overall, which languages are the most powerful and useful? C#, C++, VB6, VB.NET or others?

a)Is Visual C++ same as C++?

Not exactly. Visual C++ is Microsoft's IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing C/C++ programs.

b) What is C#? Does it more advance than C++?

C# is a new Java-like language that Microsoft came up with. Whether or not its outright better than C++ is debatable, but both languages are more suited to some tasks that the other isn't as good as. C++ programs should be faster all the time, all things being equal.

Its related to Java in the same way Visual C++ is related to C/C++. Its somewhat obsolete now, and learning normal Java is probably more beneficial than learning J++ specific Java, because Microsoft introduced Windows-only Java extensions with J++ and their JVM.

d) What is the best compiler for C++?

This is pretty opinionated I think, but I'd say gcc.

e) Can C++ program a DOS environment application?

Yes.

Depends. C++ is probably more directly sellable in the job market, but C# is a newer and cleaner language. Ideally, you'd have a good enough grasp of things that learning different languages wouldn't be a big deal.

Yes. VB.Net is a new version of VB, but I hear the language has been very heavily modified to fit into the .Net vision.

I don't think you can compile VB6 programs in VB.Net. See above.

If I had to pick one or the other, I'd hit the ground running with VB.Net since that is where things are going. On the other hand, VB6 might be more directly marketable if you're looking for a job since that are alot more VB6 and lesser programs out there.

j) What kind of languages does Microsoft Visual Studio.NET can compile?

I don't know all of them, you can probably look it up on their website, but most certaintly C/C++/C# and I guess Java/J++ and VB.Net if VS.Net comes with VJ++ and VB.Net. There's supposed to be .Net compilers for other languages like Cobol and Smalltalk, but I have no idea if Microsoft actually ships those.

k) Overall, which languages are the most powerful and useful? C#, C++, VB6, VB.NET or others?

Depends on what you plan to do. Ultimately, C/C++ are the most powerful. You're not gonna write something like Linux or Q3 or UT 2003 in Visual Basic. Visual Basic and C# are there for you to hammer out big, complex programs quickly and easily, at the expense of the control that C/C++ give you.

As usual, that's a terrific post and a very helpful set of answers, XWRed1. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It's great to have you on the forums! -- Paul

Oh, and if I might chime in here, I use gcc in the form of mingw32. It works quite well in Win XP Pro, among others, and it can be made to create both console-based and windows programs. (And recently, I've started making OpenGL programs with it.)

C++ would be an excellent language to start with. It's quite powerful and versatile, and once you know one language, you can learn most any other without too much trouble.

Good luck! (and welcome to the forums!!) :) -- Paul

Re: Re: FAQ on programming languages

XWRed1 said:

This is pretty opinionated I think, but I'd say gcc.

i would agree that it is the best compiler, although i haven't used it in a windows environment. if you are looking for books, i've found the books by deitel and deitel to be excellent( think C++ How to Program is their c++ book)

Last edited:
That sounds bout right. For more references, please see the sticky in this forum. I personally like "C++ in Plain English" :)

BTW, mingw32 / gcc works great in windows! :) I use it for all my C++ and openGL programming. ;) -- Paul

Actually, just windows notepad.

My personal fav. setup:
1) Install WindowsXP power toys, including the "open command window here" tweak

2) Install mingw32 with additions to the environmental variables, path, etc.

3) Browse to whatever folder my code is in, right-click, choose "open command window here", then open the folder and open whatever sorce code I'm working on. (I've associated .h and .cpp files with windows notepad.)

4) Whenever it's time to compile, "g++ -o output input.cpp", maybe with an -O2 flag for optimization, or just make "input.cpp". Sometimes, I'll add another action to my file association for .cpp files so that I can just right-click them and choose to "compile" by associating it with "make" in the proper folder.

Actually, though, I'm starting to like to associate windows wordpad instead of notepad with the .h and .cpp files. It does a better job of handling the varied handling of newlines by linux and windows. (I often am bringing code between school and home for work.) Also, it has a few more find and replace options that are nice. You could always use MS word to edit your code, but I find that it isn't worth the startup time for that.

-- Paul

Just lo elaborate on a few points:

Someone might be able to correct me or add to this, but as I understand J++ was discontinued due to legal issues with Sun Microsystems. As a result, J# has been born and might be more worth your while to look at. J# is predominatly billed as a language that will allow Java developers to easily transition into being .NET developers.

Never hurts to learn C++. Once you have that down as a foundation, transitioning to other languages might be easier (as a lot of language build on or are similar to C/C++). Of course this is a manner of opinion. Another concern is portability. Until the Mono project is more widespread, C++ seems to be a better choice.

VB .NET is essentially the new version of Visual Basic. It includes changes to leverage the .NET framework. C#, while it looks a lot like Java and C++, is a new language.

No. the VB .NET compiler compiles the code down to an Intermediate language that VB 6 was never meant to be translated into. VB .NET uses vbc.exe as a compiler or you can use VisualStudio .NET to handle the compiling behind the scenes. vbc.exe is distributed wit hthe .NET Framework.

If you are asking where to start it depends on the purpose. Are you looking for a job eventually in programming? If so look at the job boards and see what is more in demand. After that, determine what you feel is a realistic time frame to learn the language. At that point, you should determine if enough people appear to be adopting .NET to warrent leanring that as opposed to learning what may become obsolete.

To qoute Microsoft, language choice (in the .NET sense) is a life style choice. Meaning, it all compiles down to the same Intermediate language and thus should all perform the same.

Now in practice, thus far, I would say C# would be the best .NET language to learn. This is due to the fact that other languages are modified to fit the framework whereas C# is the onlt language (I am aware of) that was written from the ground up to completely utilize the framework. On top of that, it's similarities to J#, Java, and C++ will provide a nice migration path and minimize learning curve should be required to pick up and other languages.

just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Back