• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally, the one click install!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was thinking about this little project and decided that maybe I'm not making myself clear. If you download this program, extract the zip to a floppy, and change the username in the client.cfg, you can install EVERTYTHING you need for FAH with one click.

This also means that if you want a friend to run FAH for you, all you need to do is send them the zip file after you edit the client.cfg and tell them to "click the Set up.msi" file. That's it!

I have spent as much as an hour on the phone trying to talk friends of mine through the process of downloading the client, configuring the settings, installing the service, and changing the flags. It's quite daunting for the technically challenged. So this install makes the process much easier now.

Lastly, for Sys/Network admins, you can add the package to the software group policy under "Users and Computers" in the Active Directory. Which means the server will install the client automatically on each client machine the next time the client logs in.

Does anyone get this? Have I spun off into the void of uber geekdom? :D

Wedo

Wedo said:
Does anyone get this? Have I spun off into the void of uber geekdom? :D

Wedo

I understand how it works. You can borg around the world just using your e-mail and co-operative hosts who have w2k or XP. NT4 maybe?

Sure beats having to go to each and every house with your borg floppy.

Thanx Wedo

P.S. How would you uninstall it since it's a service and not listed in the 'Add/Remove Programs menu?

Last edited:
Nice job Wedo! I understand all too well what you mean I'm afraid - I'm in charge of making msi packages at our place for our XP network we're rolling out this summer. Did you use WISE for it? Was it a fairly simple package? It's a very cool thing anyway, certainly ubergeeky, I look forward to having a play with it at work next week!

Audioaficionado said:
P.S. How would you uninstall it since it's a service and not listed in the 'Add/Remove Programs menu?

just go to the services that run on the comp and disable it. It won't start with your comp if it is disabled. But why would you want to uninstall it if you are trying to borg?

Well thanks for the one click install , All I have to do is change the user ID to tread70 and save then run the setup and then start the service, correct? If so, its done and I am finally folding but will it get the good proteins or do I still need to add flags to a short cut properties?

portorock said:

just go to the services that run on the comp and disable it. It won't start with your comp if it is disabled. But why would you want to uninstall it if you are trying to borg?

Not me but maybe one of my assimulated hosts might decide to get rid of it inspite of my assurances. They also might want to know if it can be uninstalled prior to letting me install it on their machines.

It isn't installed in the normal fashion like a regular prog. It doesn't show up in the add/remove prog window. The only way to remove it from the comp is to manually delete all the files and reg entries. If someone doesn't know what they are doing or where to look for things, there will be rogue files sitting on the rig looking to perform something and possibly giving error messages or something like that

portorock said:
It isn't installed in the normal fashion like a regular prog. It doesn't show up in the add/remove prog window. The only way to remove it from the comp is to manually delete all the files and reg entries. If someone doesn't know what they are doing or where to look for things, there will be rogue files sitting on the rig looking to perform something and possibly giving error messages or something like that

I'll just have to be careful as to who I should borg. If they're too scared to do anything on their box, they're not a good canidate. Last thing I want is that FAH is a dangerous application getting posted on the net by ignorant people.

tread70 said:
All I have to do is change the user ID to tread70 and save then run the setup and then start the service, correct?

Yes, that's it. You only have to change the username once, then use that edited version from then on out.

If so, its done and I am finally folding but will it get the good proteins or do I still need to add flags to a short cut properties?

You are done. Flags are alread inserted.

About the Unistall. The software I used to create the package was Veritas and it added a slew of extras that were not necessary. While removing those files and reg entries I probably deleted the uninstall info as well. I'll work on getting that back in asap. It's just bad programming to not have a good uninstall (AOL, MSN, DoubleClick, RealPlayer, Gator).

Wedo

It's bad practise not to have an uninstall EXCEPT in a managed corporate environment, in which case you remove them from the package to prevent users clicking them by mistake/maliciously. Package uninstalls should be done by the IT dept in that case, but you don't need me to tell you that! :)

xsquared_uk said:
It's bad practise not to have an uninstall EXCEPT in a managed corporate environment, in which case you remove them from the package to prevent users clicking them by mistake/maliciously. Package uninstalls should be done by the IT dept in that case, but you don't need me to tell you that! :)

Excellent point... and sure, that's what I planned. :D

Wedo

Wedo I think I have beat you.

I made a .bat file that copies the files to a directory on the c: and then runs the setup for the service, with a USB Pendrive, from time the .bat is lanched I can get a machine in 10 seconds ;)

Nice work T, but no, Wedo wins - with an MSI package anyone on a managed 2k/XP network can send the package out to EVERY machine at once with a couple of clicks, all from the comfort of their office chair.... :)

Of course, in a NON managed network your pendrive might have the edge. You need admin rights to deploy the MSI too. It's all good stuff!

By the way - anyone looking to get permission from an IT dept to fold at work/college etc might well be advised to push the MSI to them - the point of MSI packages is that they conform to a lot of validity rules etc so they're 'safe' installs, not to mention the ease of installing them remotely. A lot of IT departments might say no to FAH because they don't want the hassle of installing it or they're worried about conflicts with other software - with the MSI you can say to them OK, here's the package, send it out to a bunch of machines and see what happens and if it's a problem you can remove it again in a couple of minutes without even having to leave the office - I know that would make a BIG difference at our place!

wedo, if possible could you keep a uninstall version and another version that the uninstall wont show up in the add/remove programs list? cause i have some people that i know might just be like woopsies i clicked uninstall

shoot... ok i installed this on my friend's comp and the console comes up after finishing installing. rebooting made the console go away, it doesnt show up at startup. but then i look at fahlog and there's only the -service tag, no -advmethods or -forceasm. weird thing again is that it instictively downloaded fahcore_78 ands tarted folding a gromac. is this normal?

Xevuhtess7 said:
wedo, if possible could you keep a uninstall version and another version that the uninstall wont show up in the add/remove programs list? cause i have some people that i know might just be like woopsies i clicked uninstall

I sure will Xervuhtess. I left all of my proggies at work so I'll get started on a version with an uninstall some time this week.

Mr. $T$,

Could you post your .bat file here? Just copy and paste it, if you don't mind, as I bet there are quite a few people that would like to see it.

The problem with a massive FAH deployment (besides finding the computers and getting permission) falls on two distinct networking issues. The first being the OS types of the client machines as to whether or not they are an NT based OS (XP, W2K) or "other" (98, ME).

The second issue, as xsquared_uk mentioned, is whether or not the network is managed. The ultimate goal I've been driving towards is a list that looks like:

1. If you have a managed network with XP or W2K clients, download this:

2. Non-managed XP and W2K clients download this:

3. For all win98 and ME auto deployment on a managed network, download this:

4. For all win98 and ME on an un-managed network download this:

So far we have #1 covered with my .msi file, #2 covered with the FAH Deployer from the Aussies (and possibly your .bat file) but we need some work on 98 and ME machines as I don't have any rigs running those OS'es anymore.

If anyone can point us in the right direction for 98/ME rigs, that would be helpful.

Wedo

Wedo said:

a list that looks like:

1. If you have a managed network with XP or W2K clients, download this:

<Lumberg Voice>
If you wouldn't mind whipping up one of those....I got 70 GHz+ of school computers running a mixture of WinXP and Win2000 Pro clients and uh.....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh.......
</Lumberg Voice>

:)

Back