• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

find waterblock by dimensions for UV LED panel cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myearwood

Registered
Hi all

I'm no noob to IT or forums. I've built PCs with CPU cooling fans, but not with liquids to date. I'm building a new kind of 3D printer. It's a UV liquid resin, top down setup and every layer is like a color photograph. The UV lamp is to be mounted beside the inkjet heads. That leaves me a very little space. There is only 50 mm x 32 mm x 10 mm in total. The UV panel is 2-3 mm thick leaving 7 or 8 mm for the block. I'm in Toronto. I already have a pump, radiator, hoses and connectors. The connectors are M5 0.8 90 degree bends. I carved an opening in the inkjet head enclosure and have run hoses into the enclosure, passed the inkjet head and out the top.

Is there any existing cpu/gpu cooling block that might fit those dimensions? In the meantime, I'm designing and 3D printing a block and gasket to hold the uv panel, in case I end up having it machined. If anyone knows someone in my area that can make such a block, I'd appreciate a contact too.

Thanks!

Mike

Back in the day, zalman had some small blocks with side barbs that might fit. They weren't that good, and were aluminum iirc. I had one, but i pitched it recently.. Like in the last month or 2.

Edit: nope still to big. Looking like a custom job due to the thickness restriction.

Back in the day, zalman had some small blocks with side barbs that might fit. They weren't that good, and were aluminum iirc. I had one, but i pitched it recently.. Like in the last month or 2.

Edit: nope still to big. Looking like a custom job due to the thickness restriction.

Hey corpsejockey

Thanks for looking. I did get quite a ways on my custom jobby but it has a slow leak. I'll try again with an automotive gasket maker.

View attachment mold.zipView attachment custom uv.zip

I made some blocks years back. 2 part copper sandwich style with side barbs for a diy chiller loop. I tried a few different methods, but ended up sweating them together.

Hey corpsejockey

Are you interested in doing a custom one? What would you charge? I'd much rather pay someone that has done it before. It would be 50mm x 32mm x 7 mm. The hoses would come off of the 32mm side and bend 90 degrees.

I'm sorry, I would definitely like to but I no longer have access to a machine shop. All my personal machining equipment has been sold or in storage and I don't have access to the cnc I used back then (previous employer).

Ah. OK. I've not got a machine shop or cnc, but I can cut and sweat copper.

I think the side ports for the inlet/outlet is going to be the tricky part given the 7mm height restriction. If its not too much trouble, you mind posting a pic or 2 of what you're trying to cool and the space you're working with? I'm just interested is all.

Oops... Missed the 2nd one lol. Sorry about that.

I think I was able to find the old build log from oz2cpu I followed to make my blocks.
https://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/pcmod/water.htm

Gpu section should be helpful. It can be done by hand... I'm just lazy and happened to have equipment that would do all the work for me at the time.

I managed to get it to stop seeping and leaking! So, I can proceed with the plastic 3d printed block. I just need to see that it keeps the uv lamp cool enough.

Hi corpsejockey

I showed that the plastic block and gasket managed to keep the UV lamp running with a max temp of 98 degrees, then it settled to around 80. That's just a bit higher than recommended operating temp. The silicone gasket I made protected the plastic from the heat of the UV lamp. I'm heading on to installing the uv lamp under the inkjet printhead enclosure and then on to a printed object.

Good idea. Such a thing is used by some hotbed/hotends in FFM/FDM 3D printers. I'll add it.

Back