• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firing it up tomorrow....quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

M4A89GTD PRO, Win 7 Home 64, 1090T, 8GB Dominator...this is my first fresh build since my XP that I have installed many times.

When I first fire it up, do I check the BIOS settings before the OS install?

Like the RAM voltage etc?

Just want to know what I need to check first..prolly the same as an XP build but for some reason I have sweaty palms already..:shrug:

OC nub here, but I'd leave everything at stock in the BIOS for your OS install.

Once you get an OS on there (...XP? Get W7 man :p) then I'd start to tinker with BIOS settings. ;)

I would set the ram timing/freq/voltage, If there is any onboard hardware that you do not intend to use now would be the time to disable it. Also check your temps and voltage make sure nothing it out of spec. then install the OS and go from there.

The timings of the RAM are 7-7-7-20, hopefully it recognizes that. The onboard video is what I will be using for now, honestly I cannot think of anything else that would need to be disabled, any ideas?

Most machines have a serial and parallel port that almost no one uses. Floppy drive controller? If your HDDs are all SATA then the IDE controller. Legacy USB - maybe even USB 1.1? I mean, I don't know your system or what you use or don't use but this is stuff I disable in BIOS because I don't use any of it. If you have similar on-board hardware that's not going to be used then disable it and save the resources. :)

It also wouldn't hurt to make sure CoolNQuiet, C1E, and SMartFan are disabled while you're there. You don't want any of that stuff running when you're trying to overclock. Once you have the system OC'ed and stable you can go back and try those out if you want ...

I would simply leave everything at default except for disabling that coolNquiet crap & C1E....

I fired it up but need to download latest BIOS revision.

I noticed that the RAM was at 1333 but the timings were 9-9-9-24 instead of 7-7-7-20. Could be that the voltage was at 1.49 and should be 1.60..could this be the issue?

I didn't want to change anything yet until I update the BIOS...currently working on that.

I checked Dolk's guide and noticed there are two BIOS revisions...a 1605 and 1003, not sure which one to use.

Should I just use the CD first and update later?

Last edited:
Whats the new bios offer that the current one doesn't?

I don't know exactly how you bios is setup you may have to set the freq/timing/voltage to get to what ever specs the ram offers that you want.

For example:
DRAM Freq-1333 (666)
CAS-7
RAS to CAS (tRCD)-7
RAS Precharge (tRP)-7
tRAS-20
Dram Voltage-1.6
Command Rate-2T

Last edited:
Not sure what it offers but as of now all is working except for the timings.

OS is installed and PC is working. I will change the BIOS settings and see what happens.

If there is a reason to flash the bios then I can understand that, I wont flash a bios if there is no need to (gain) and the system is working fine.

All is good, timings are 7-7-7-20 @ 1.5 volts.

I appreciate everyones help

Back