• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First big change to my rig since 2005!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got the parts installed, already performance is better. the most taxing game I had previously tried on the Opteron was wolfenstein the new order, which now runs smoothly with ultra settings!

Hopefully I can get some spare time tomorrow to reload my system drive, Windows and all.

Now an os question.... Windows 8 with the start menu mod/fix, or remain on Windows 7?

I got the parts installed, already performance is better. the most taxing game I had previously tried on the Opteron was wolfenstein the new order, which now runs smoothly with ultra settings!

Hopefully I can get some spare time tomorrow to reload my system drive, Windows and all.

Now an os question.... Windows 8 with the start menu mod/fix, or remain on Windows 7?

My vote would be windows 7.. Haven't searched much Windows 8 though..

windows 8.1 with shell and windows 7 are incredibly similar, I dunno why people freak out about it...

windows 8.1 with shell and windows 7 are incredibly similar, I dunno why people freak out about it...

Yup. Win 8.1 is a better OS once you get used to it. You also get DX12 support (whenever MS decides to release it) with 8.1 but not with 7.
Wish Classic Shell installed, there is literally nothing new you need to learn to use Win 8.1. It runs just like Win 7.

Exactly.... Go W8 and if the interface is too much, install classic shell.

I am more than sure there are NUMEROUS threads here that mention how to do that (search) too! :)

http://www.classicshell.net/

When you install it, do not install anything other than "Classic Start Menu". Set the other options to "This feature will not be available". You also have the option to choose your own start button (download one or make your own) or keep using the Win 8 start button. Install it, then the first time you click the start menu you will be brought to "Setup part deux" in which you can further tweak options. I like to set it to show Metro apps as a menu in the start folder, so I never ever have to look at the Metro screen, which I find utterly useless (just my opinion) and a terrible design choice on M$'s part.

Once you get used to it you will like Win 8.1/Classic Shell better than Win 7.

Back