• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first gaming rig build. Advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardy94

Hey im building a gaming rig as soon as i get funds sorted. Was looking for some advice on what parts to get. This is what ive chosen for them moment but open to suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£136.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.96 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£56.34 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£63.99 @ Maplin Electronics)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.94 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£122.40 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£45.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£45.78 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.96 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor (£125.10 @ CCL Computers)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£14.99 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm Fan (£9.84 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £833.44

What do you lot think. No experience in this so its probably crap.

When will you... 'get the funds sorted'? A month? 3? 6?

If you are planning on overclocking, you would want "K" series processor and a Z87 based board. If not, lose the aftermarket cooler.

For the SSD, Get a Samsung 840 EVO instead of the vanilla model.

750ti is a decent card for 1080p gaming, but, you won't be able to run, say BF4, cranked out of the box. I would bump that up to at least a 760 or R9 280x.

(note you have the ability to edit your posts instead of double posting...I merged them. :))

It appears you aren't planning to overclock, so I would drop the CPU cooler.

Look at Memory that has some better timings/frequencies for the price.
I like G.SKILL Ares 1866 CL9.

Go for the 840 EVO over the plain 840, the performance difference is worth it.

What games are you playing?
The 750Ti is a great budget card, but its not a top-tier GPU by any means.

Go with Windows 8.1 as the new DirectX won't be supported by Windows 7.

I would try to avoid wireless internet if at all possible.

Thanks for all the tips. Ill most likey be playing things like ESO, battlefield 4 plus any new games that come out this year. Im not planning on overclocking as i wouldnt know where to start so i'll forget the cpu cooler and use the money for a better GPU and the 840 evo. And i cant avoid a wireless connection unfortunatly because my router is downstairs

Z97 and 5th gen i5's are coming out very soon. The boards are already available. I suggest waiting until the new parts "Haswell Refresh" come out. No sense in buying last year's stuff when this year's stuff is around the corner.

This is a good point. To play Devil's advocate though, the differences/improvements are not much at all really. About the only differences in the new chips, specifaclly the unlocked ones, are better TIM between the IHS and silicon. So for pushing HIGH overclocks, it may be worth the wait, otherwise, if you are ready, you wont be missing out on too much.

specifaclly the unlocked ones, are better TIM between the IHS and silicon. So for pushing HIGH overclocks, it may be worth the wait,

I read that the lids would be soldered on K sku chips. Is that wrong? Is it just better TIM? :screwy: ...sigh... Intel...

I agree that any performance improvements will be microscoping and ultimately undetectable to the average user, but nonetheless, I'd rather have this year's model than last year's.

I read that the lids would be soldered on K sku chips. Is that wrong? Is it just better TIM? :screwy: ...sigh... Intel...

I agree that any performance improvements will be microscoping and ultimately undetectable to the average user, but nonetheless, I'd rather have this year's model than last year's.

On the LGA2011 refresh they will be soldered (as they have been).
On the LGA1150 refresh its still TIM.

One tweak I suggest for your build right now is to not get an SSD, and maybe get a slightly cheaper monitor and instead put that money into upgrading from a 750Ti to an R9 280X or 7970 Gigahertz Edition. They're roughly twice the price of a 750Ti.

I usually advocate that, for gaming PCs where people want to play modern, demanding titles, they should forego the SSD at first if their budget is not terribly high.

You will not lose any gaming performance at all by foregoing the SSD for now. You will only notice increased loading times for windows, programs, and games. It's worth putting up with loading time for such a significant FPS increase in my opinion.

Once you have the money some time in the future, get an SSD. That's how I'd do it.

GeForce-GTX-750Ti-vs-GTX-480.png

You can see here that a 750Ti is +/- about on par with a GTX 480, which was Nvidia's flagship model about 5 years ago.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4_Beta-test-bf_4_1920_msaa.jpg

You can see here the difference in performance between the GTX 480 and the R9 280X (aka 7970 GE).
From 28 all the way up to 53 frames per second. Granted, this is for the BETA of BF4, but the spread between their performance levels remains true.

Back