• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First R420 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, this is going to be a close race. I guess which card is more popular will be based on features and IQ, not speed this time around.

Crap said:
Wow, this is going to be a close race. I guess which card is more popular will be based on features and IQ, not speed this time around.

nVidia may have speed on its side this time.... but Temporal AA is mighty tempting

wow that was a deep find....:clap:

all 6800u tests seem good as compared to other sites.

looks like the x800xt wins most things...I will not even look at the 3dmark03 tests as you know damb well that there are far too many cheats in the latest drivers.

now did you see the CoD tests....:eek:
how did the x800xt beat the Nbeast????
edit: vsync is dumb.

mica

Last edited:
Because it was V-synced...
I dunno. Just because it has more FPS, you want a card that supports PS 3 for future games, and you have to buy the top-o-line ATI to get all 16 pipelines...
Personally I think it will turn into a price war, whoever is cheaper.

Personally I think it will turn into a price war, whoever is cheaper.

I will have to agree with this. But at the same time, its hard to say whats real and whats not until ATI officially releases its full line, as for Nvidia.

Thanks for the heads up Cowboy-X!!

It looks like the X800-XT wins a good majority of the benches. I don't need ps3.0 cause when the R500 comes out I'll be getting it and the X800-xt is going in my shuttle sff in my office. Yes the 6800-u is doing very good but man...I dont' trust NV. They might be palyin' us with thier funky drivers again. THey got me with the 5900-u but they are really gonna have to prove them selves before they get anymore of kraggy's cash.
:rolleyes:

seems like the r420 doesn't have vertex shader 3.0 either, which is a pretty big deal imo, the most important part of SM 3.0.

i should be sleepin, but ima stay up a bit and read these ;) maybe more will come after midnight haha ;) "sleeping cause i got work tomorrow early".

also notice a single molex for the x800, plus no ramsinks. this could mean not having to upgrade your psu LOL

Yay.

Didn't bother translating it, and I'll wait for more reviews, but it looks like a close race. Depends on the game, but nice card.

Winner: whichever is easiest on the pocketbook for fps/$ in the games I play (HALO!)

There are some interesting errors in the article. First it calls the high end X800 an 'ULTRA'. 'Ultra' has never been used by ATI (as far as I can tell). And second it calls SM3.0 part of DX10 (I am taking this from the bablefish translation "synthesizing we could say that Shader 1 corresponds to DirectX 8, Shader 2 to the 9 DirectX and Shader 3 to DirectX 10"). The big problem with that is SM3.0 is part of DX9.x. From what I have read we should expect to see SM4.x as part of DX10/DXnext.

Back