• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First steps in AMD world

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So,since my fx6300 will be arriving only next week but my ram arrived today,i figured to dive into depths of gpus.
I'm not the person who lives 1080p at a time (my life goes by via 2 monitor setup (1-1440x900) (2-1280x1024-mainly used for facebook and different gadgets), I've come to the hard part of choosing between 3 gpus.
1- Asus gtx960 2gb OC strix edition.
2- ASUS gtx770 2gb
3- MSI gtx 970 4gb.

Desired settings- medium/high. Any thoughts? I know it should be wise to get 4gb version, but I dont know if it will do any good, especially if Im not worried about getting 60+ fps on every game. Spent all night digging trough youtube and different reviews,but they all praise high end cards, not really saying whats wrong(and if anything) with less performance cards like gtx960. Tests even show that theres no difference between memory speed between 2gb & 4gb versions so that left me thinking,that for sake of my nerves,maybe I should get 960 2gb? :/. I must confess I was even considering hd9570 for all its worth because that would be still a far better choice than hd6770 that I currently own (and cant wait to get rid of). However, that 6770 still plays Sniper Elite 3 on high without problems... I feel like ive been asleep for 4 years now.

Last edited:
Agreed. If you're not worried about 60+FPS @ 1080p constant, than the 970 will last you for longer than your 6770 did.

As i said before this 6770 came with the bundle. I would use at least 7950 for my everyday use. So the gtx960 is a no go,and i must grab a 970? i guess ill get it after 2 weeks,coz i have no spare time for shopping :)

As i said before this 6770 came with the bundle. I would use at least 7950 for my everyday use. So the gtx960 is a no go,and i must grab a 970? i guess ill get it after 2 weeks,coz i have no spare time for shopping :)

The 970 is in a class of it's own :)
Totally worth the extra $$.

O.k, its settled then.
Btw- Im having difficulties choosing budget ssd. Any insights about that?
Im trying to choose between these two:
: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/sandisk-128gb-ultra-plus-ssd-a64lu
: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compo...5-internal-ssd-120-gb-10071522-pdt.html#cat-0

As far as I know, the ultra plus was next model after ultra 2 (if I remember correctly), however, since my 1tb drive is failing (got couple of bad blocks, got them reallocated, so it will last untill i copy everything off),i figured to take 120gb of ssd. win7+1 game should leave enough space for it to run normally. I know that ssd arent like mech drives,so the free space is not an issue, however i want to leave headroom in case i download something on it by accident.
And no, no crucial, ocz or samsung drives are of interest, since I got them pretty often while working in pc service. As I said, sandisk is a budget option, and Id like to keep it that way. 50quid for at least 1year of service is acceptable anyway. Ill be getting my cpu quite soon now,so I want to prepare my system for a little boost :).
Thanks.

"budget ssd" and "AMD" do not go together.

Stay away from sandforce NAND's. Seriously here, spend the extra 20 quid and get a GOOD brand. Crucial, Toshiba, Samsung should be at the top of your list. Of those three, they are too close to matter in real world performance, so find the best deal you can on one.

edit: the sandisk ultra 2 looks fine to me honestly.

"budget ssd" and "AMD" do not go together.

Stay away from sandforce NAND's. Seriously here, spend the extra 20 quid and get a GOOD brand. Crucial, Toshiba, Samsung should be at the top of your list. Of those three, they are too close to matter in real world performance, so find the best deal you can on one.

edit: the sandisk ultra 2 looks fine to me honestly.

but it seems weird to me, that the speed of write/read are very high for a cheap tier ssd... I mean, they are on par with samsung and acz... Could it be?

but it seems weird to me, that the speed of write/read are very high for a cheap tier ssd... I mean, they are on par with samsung and acz... Could it be?

I did a quick peek around on them, they honestly seem great for their price range. Id wait for someone more knowledgeable on ssd's to chime in though.

Back