• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Build - Please help w/ parts check and a few questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8dogg59

Registered
EDIT
I updated my build to the parts below based on the help and was hoping you guys wouldn't mind checking it out one more time just to make sure everything looks good and is compatible. Quick summary is that I changed to a locked processor, H97 motherboard instead of Z97, 550w PSU instead of 650. Everything is listed below and also the link is provided.

CPU – Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard – MSI H97 PC Mate ATX LGA 1150
Memory – Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage – Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5” 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card – Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Windforce
Case – Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply – Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive – Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System – Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM 64-bit
Will reuse mouse, keyboard, monitors, and speakers

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hBQCnQ

END OF EDIT

This is my first build so I’m pretty nervous. I’ve spent many hours reading this forum so thank you to all who are so helpful and thanks to any that help me here. I believe my current computer is on its last leg and I think building is definitely the way to go. Here’s a quick rundown of what I use it for. I am a futures trader, which I don’t think is as hard on a computer as gaming but it is somewhat similar. I run three monitors with multiple charts going and usually playing a movie/show during the slow periods. I wouldn’t mind doing some gaming in the future. I would like to keep the build around $800. A link to my build is below and I also listed everything out. Thanks so much again in advance for any help! The main questions I have are:

Is everything compatible?
Do I need any additional cooling?
Are these parts literally everything that I will I need any additional cables or anything else?
I could get the R9 270x for about $50 more. Is it worth it?

CPU – Intel Core i5-4690k 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard – MSI Z97 PC Mate ATX LGA 1150
Power Supply – Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tNswf7

Last edited:
Are you overclocking? If not (which is what I recommend if you use the system for trading), you could go with the locked version of the processor and an H97 board. It'll save you a couple of bucks, and you won't need to worry about additional cooling.

The GPU would do fine for trading, but won't be great for gaming. I'd get it for now, and if and when you decide to get into gaming, get a better card.

Everything else looks solid.

I've read a lot to try and understand overclocking and since I still can't understand how to do it I probably never will. Is the locked version the i5 4690 without the "k"? If I do stick with what I have above would I need to get additional cooling?

I've read a lot to try and understand overclocking and since I still can't understand how to do it I probably never will. Is the locked version the i5 4690 without the "k"? If I do stick with what I have above would I need to get additional cooling?
n8dogg59 welcome to the forum. Yes the I5 4690 without the K is the locked version and no you do not need anything but the stock heatsink for cooling. Being that the case you chose is 9" wide you could fit a Cooler Master 212 + heatsink, usually around $19.99 when on sale, and the cpu will run cooler but again it's not a necessity. You also do not need a 650w power sup[ply, that build even if you went with a GTX 980ti gpu would still be good with a 500w. Nothing wrong with the Psu you picked out, it's just a bit overkill. As far as trading the 4690 will work just fine, I also agree with Dlaw about the Gpu, it will be fine for trading. For mild gaming all depending on the, game, resolution you play at and how much eye candy you have turned up, it will be ok but depending on that will determine if it will be sufficient.

Thanks so much for the quick replies Dlaw and Mandrake. Just still thinking about the gpu. I might do a little searching around and wait for a better one to go on sale then get that. I'd rather spend an extra $100 now than buy one, decide to play some games, then have to buy another one in 6 months. This forum is the best. Just love how helpful you all are!

If you are willing to spend and extra $100, then this is what I would be looking at. It should be able to play any game with mid-high settings for the next few years.

EDIT
I updated my build to the parts below based on the help and was hoping you guys wouldn't mind checking it out one more time just to make sure everything looks good and is compatible. Quick summary is that I changed to a locked processor, H97 motherboard instead of Z97, 550w PSU instead of 650. Everything is listed below and also the link is provided.

Power Supply – Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

END OF EDIT

I would still go with a 960 over the 750Ti if you can swing it. If not, it is a solid build, and should be fine for trading.

Thanks so much for the quick reply and help TLAW. I'll watch some sales and see if I can get one for a decent price.

EDIT

END OF EDIT
I see nothing wrong with the build, if were really nit picking, get a faster set of Ram like these.

Just did some quick research and it looks like the H97 motherboards will only support memory up to 1600 and wouldn't work with the 1833. Does that sounds right?

Just did some quick research and it looks like the H97 motherboards will only support memory up to 1600 and wouldn't work with the 1833. Does that sounds right?
Well looking at the website for Msi yes you are correct, I'm actually surprised that it's only supported up to 1600mhz. It doesn't mean it will not run 2133 memory, heck I've run my 2500k at near 2200 Mhz on the ram. If you want to play it safe then get the DDR3 1600 sticks, in the real world you will notice little difference.

Back