• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Olliewott

Hey guys, i'm a newbie to the whole gaming computer thing, I am just about to go ahead and get my very first one built, i'd just like to get some opinions on my specs if possible?

BLUETOOTH: None
CAPTURECARD: None
CAS: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid Tower Gaming Case w/ front USB 3.0 [+36] (Gunmetal colour)
CASUPGRADE: NONE
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE. (BLACK Colour)
CD2: NONE
COOL: NONE
CPU: Intel® Core™ Quad Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***
CS_FAN: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case, and match the colour of the fans already in the case [+15]
DONGLES: NONE
EXPAN: NONE
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (Asetek CPU Water Cooling ***Overclockable XXX***)
FLASHMEDIA: None
GLASS3D: NONE
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: NONE
HOMEINSTALL: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
INSURANCE: NONE
KEYBOARD: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Logitech MK120 USB Keyboard & Mouse Combo [+12]
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)
MONITOR: NONE
MONITOR2: NONE
MONITOR3: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Intel Z77 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, SMART Digi+ Power Control, AI Suite II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCIe x1 & 3 PCI ***Overclockable XXX***
MOUSE: NONE
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+74] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts Power Supplies (CoolerMaster Elite 500watt Gaming Power Supply)
RUSH: NONE
SERVERUNIT: NONE
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: Logitech S120 2.0 Stereo Speaker Set [+9] (BLACK Colour)
TABLET: None
TEMP: NONE
UPS: None
USB1: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports [+0]
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
VIDEO3: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 1 Year Parts, 1 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support
WNC: PCI-E Wireless 802.11n 300Mbps Network Interface Card [+14]

I am paying £900.

Any tips or advice is really apprciated! :):thup:

If you're going to build a pc why not just build it yourself instead of letting someone else do it? What are your needs and wants for the pc?

Pick up and ssd, samsung or intel, at least 128gb they are cheap right now. Load operating system on your ssd and use hdd for your games. The performance increase is well worth it.

Welcome to OCF. Your list is silly confusing. Many junk stuff in there that we don't even consider.

Your CPU is good, possibly more than you need, but good stuff.

This makes me laugh:
CS_FAN: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case, and match the colour of the fans already in the case [+15] What the heck is this marketing gibberish?

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Intel Z77 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, SMART Digi+ Power Control, AI Suite II, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCIe x1 & 3 PCI ***Overclockable XXX*** LOL OMG.

Ohh. You spend a bit of time in our Intel CPU and the Mobo forum to READ, USE your BRAIN to decide if the magic marketers who get payed to write stuff for their boat payment matters.

And the magic PSU stuff.

Do I need to say more?

Ollie, wlcome to OCF. :welcome: You have found a place with knowledge and experience. We have MANY good forums here to begin your knowledge journey and by the right rig for you.

It's gonna take many hours of reading and understanding. Your time and ability will be your result. You want crap or success?

Agreed. That list is hard to go through. But anyhow I wasn't easy on my first build but it was easy and well worth it. Took my time and did a quality job. Tucked the wires where I wanted to. Put the fans and everything where I wanted to. All worked out well, and will be building my next system.

For computer gaming your better off with a 3570k and put the money you save toward a better graphics card and an ssd.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!
  • What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
(OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
  • Case
  • Hard Drive
  • Solid State Drive (optional)
  • Mouse (if necessary)
  • Keyboard (if necessary)
  • Monitor (if necessary)
  • Speakers/Headset (if necessary)
Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

thoughs are mainly what you need to think about^^
also pc part picker is a good place to collect everything.

Sorry man, but the title is kind of misleading. I thought YOU were building this. That would make you a first time builder.

On an actual builders stand point, I wasnt aware I could overclock my Motherboard or a liquid cooling system.

The build looks decent. But its heavily weighted towards processing power. The GPU seems pretty week and only 8 GBs of RAM doesn't fully help you with the power of the I7.

In all, I would suggest you find someone that actually knows what they are talking about, buy a better GPU and a couple more sticks of RAM.

I may be wrong, but this just looks weird.

HUH? what does the amount of ram have to do with the processing power of the I7?

I know, I don't know how I want to word it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, "If you're gonna go with the I7, you might as well go with 16Gigs!" or something like that.

Definitely didn't mean that it affected processing power in anyways :p

Got ya, 8gigs is overkill for most users, I get what you're saying though. Not knowing what the OP is intending for the system makes it hard to recommend anything. It looks like a Cyberpowerpc build to me. In most cases I'd go with an I5 3750k and a better GPU then the I7.

Got ya, 8gigs is overkill for most users, I get what you're saying though. Not knowing what the OP is intending for the system makes it hard to recommend anything. It looks like a Cyberpowerpc build to me. In most cases I'd go with an I5 3750k and a better GPU then the I7.

I agree completely. I do just fine with a 2500k even. But my RAM and GPU are a higher "tier" if you will.

Nice! I really need to get some liquid in my life, I just dont know if i want to make the jump. I'd like to run 5Ghz 24/7. (sorry if offtopic)

HUH? what does the amount of ram have to do with the processing power of the I7?

Multi frame / multi core rendering for HD in say, After Effects, needs at least 2GB memory allocated per cpu because each core is working independently on a different frame. So fewer cores can be utilized in that manner with less memory.

Multi frame / multi core rendering for HD in say, After Effects, needs at least 2GB memory allocated per cpu because each core is working independently on a different frame. So fewer cores can be utilized in that manner with less memory.
Good to know... but is the OP doing that?

Where did the OP go?
Anyway. Agreed with the others. Build your own PC. It's not as taxing as you may think. It's really easy and the plethora or knowlege from the community here will get you through it.
You'll save money, and get a better system by doing-it-yourself... And knowing what you put into will help to trouble shoot and issues you have down the road...

It not that hard to put together a working pc, after a week of reading information on internet, it took me around 3hr to build my first pc and install window vista and that was 5 year ago

Back