• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time computer build...RAID, SSDs, Dual-Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckE1

A few months ago, I built my first PC from scratch. I certainly didn't step in the shallow end and test the water first. I set my expectations pretty high for a novice. The built seemed to go well enough. The system will boot, and I was able to configure the BIOS. I ran into some setbacks here and there, and have yet to get the project finished.

My components are as follows:
Case - CORSAIR Special Edition White Graphite Series™ 600T Mid ATX
PSU - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series 1000W ATX
MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
CPU - INTEL Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
coolin - CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express(x2 SLI)
sound - CREATIVE SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe
SSD - OCZ Agility 3, 2.5" 90GB SATA III MLC (x2) - RAID0
HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM (x3) - RAID5
0pDD - Lite-On 12X Internal Blu-Ray Writer
disp - Viewsonic VG2436wm-LED 24" LED Monitor (x3)

I have yet to configure the 3 displays, as that will be a task for later. Anyway... I used the MoBo to set up both the RAID0 and RAID5 arrays. I was then able to install Windows 7 Pro on a partition which I created on the SSDs. I left room so as to also install Linux as well, either Fedora or Ubuntu (limited exp w/ fedora from a class, none w/ Ubuntu). The RAID5, data, array has not been particioned yet, and I haven't had any luck getting either flavor of linux to install alongside my Windows install.

I haven't touched the machine in a month due to a school semester ending, starting a new job, and other hectic life issues. I will post a better description of the "issues" soon. I basically just wanted to get a description of my system here, and see if anyone knows of any articles/posts that they could point me to that might help me to get it up and running. As I said my plan was for RAID0 SSDs dual booting Win7 & Linux, with 3TB of data storage in RAID5, with an external HDD backing up the system too. I would also like to know of any configuration recommendations for the SSDs, as I am new to them as well. oh, and given the forum--- perhaps some known OC settings for this set-up (have it running 4.1Ghz from just the MoBo's included "OC tool." Regardless, any help for a first timer would be appreciated. I hope to get a chance to post more details soon!

If needed, I suppose I can forgo the linux install for now, and just get the machine ready to play a little Diablo III =)

1KW PSU for 2 550ti's? I hope that GPU combo will play DIII well across 3 monitors...

As far as overclocking, there is a "beginners guide to 4.5Ghz" in the Intel CPU section that will give you the cookie cutter settings you are looking for.

Regarding the R0 and R5. Im not sure you can have both on the same PC in that your other controllers outside of the Intel ports (0-1) support Raid. You may need a card, but not too sure as I never set up Raid anything outside of the Intel ports.

Back