• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First-Time "Dream" System - Advice Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vontech

Registered
I just received some money unexpectedly and wish to build the BEST, FASTEST multimedia system I can, within "reasonable" bounds. I "may" wish to overclock, but not necessarily. I'm much happier with a stable system than an unstable one, especially at about $2200 for all this stuff!

Most of my applications are CD Ripping, encoding, decoding, Photoshop, music server, etc. Also video editing. But I'm really aiming at speed and high quality. Overclocking is still something I'm a total novice at, but I'd like to learn.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer, pro or con, on this system. In particular, am I overkilling with the PSU? I understand it's the best.

Also with this configuration and only the stock fan in the back of the P160, will I need additional cooling, and if so, what

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2C GHz 800MHz FSB
ZALMAN CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler (with stock fan)
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) Registered DDR PC-3200 w/ Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 ATX
Antec P-160 Case
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
2 - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive WD740GD
Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-PREMIUM/SW, Retail
Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW, Retail
Woet Tsern Internal 8-in-1 (Silver) Card Reader and USB 2.0 Drive Bay, Model ICR-A2 Silver color
Floppy Drive
Windows XP Professional

Also adding an existing WD 7200 250 gig hard disk.

So far, all I have ordered is the Asus motherboard. But I'm ready to order the rest.

Thanks for your help.

Looks good, but why not water cool that sucker? What case will you be using? if you stick with air, you might want to put on a few 120mm L1A panaflos to help keep your case cool.

jex

Hm, all the stuff looks good, but some of it might not be necessary...like the cdrw for example, the 8x burner can burn cds, course some ppl like to have 2 drives, I just don't have the room....:)

Oh and the registered DDR???? Registered......eeeewwwwwww

Ya why not water cool. Perhaps go with a Thermalright SLK or SP for an air system.

I would also grab some arctic silver 5. Get the vga silencer for a video card cooler and also buy or make some heatsinks for your 9800's ram. I don't know what comes with your case but some panaflos or sunon fans are nice.

I personally would go with a 450w Sparkle/fortron Power supply.

I could only imagine that an third party raid controller like a promise sata raid card would be better than the onboard stuff. But I am sure someone else can confirm or deny that.

NOW IS NOT THE TIME.

Wait a few weeks man, so much new stuff is coming out, and if you're buying a COMPLETELY new setup, might as well get the new stuff that's coming SO very shortly.

I **CAN'T** WAIT! I know that there will be lots of new stuff, but I've decided to put down my anchor now.

Thanks to all who have commented so far ...

. . . . . Anyone else ??? ..............

Pent4??

My vote is with an AMD Athlon 64 3400+

If ur gonna go all out, why stop with an Intel chip. When Winbloz 64 comes out, you will be ready to go!

As for the RAM, I suggest Mushkin's 222 Special. Or some good OCZ

He wants an intel chip for all the encoding. I also would suggest better air cooling like the SP-94 or water if you are ambitious. Maybe a 2.8C or 2.4C and O/C it?

he already has the Mobo, people. he's committed to Intel. ok, the chip you've got could most def benefit from faster ram. like some ddr400 speed or around there maybe. i'm not an expert or anything, but i'm pretty sure that if you did want to overclock, that ram would be what keeps you back.

gotta run, late for class, oops

OK, decisions over for now. Just ordered it all:

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2C GHz 800MHz FSB
Thermalright SP-94 Heat Sink
Panaflo L1A 92mm heat sink fan
Corsair (Twin Pack) 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-4000 with Platinum-Silver Heat Spreader
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 ATX
Antec P-160 Case
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum w/internal bay
ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
VGA Silencer
2 - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive WD740GD
Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, Model PX-PREMIUM/SW, Retail
Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW, Retail
Multi-slot PRO-9, 9 in 1 internal flash card reader
Panasonic Floppy Drive
Artic Cooling Paste 5
Logitech MX-Duo keyboard and mouse
Windows XP Professional

Now all I gotta do is wait to get it, then assemble it with care and precision. (hah!).

Thanks again for all your advice. I'm sure I'll hang out here for some time to come now .....

vontech

Back