• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time system builder needs advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kian525

Intel Core i5 3570
$219.00
Zalman Microphone ZM-MIC 1
$12.00
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
$59.00
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
$36.00
MSI Radeon HD7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
$255.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
$99.00
Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002 X 2
$138.00
LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM
$22.00
ASRock Z77 PRO3 Motherboard
$119.00
Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W Power Supply
$75.00
Arctic Silver Alumina Ceramic (14g)
$9.00
Aerocool Strike-X Advance White
$79.00

my friend wants to order these parts this weekend, but I need a few bits of advice.

first and foremost, are all the parts compatible, and if they aren't, which ones wont play nice.

secondly, the case is just a place holder, i need advice on a case.

thirdly the power supply may not be sufficient. I'm not sure. advice please :3

I have two hard drives as I need a second one to record game play using fraps.

anything and all advice is welcome, trust me, i need it.

Thanks

Looks fine to me. From Australia right? All those prices from an instant glance are PC case gear prices. Lol. The 3570 cannot be over clocked though? Any reason you picked that and still have an aftermarket cooler?

Also, the neo Eco is out of stock. The corsair cx v2 500 is available and 6 bucks less.

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

a good nice cheep case is a HAF 912, but I would get a couple extra 120mm fans to add, I just finished a build and added 2x 120mm fans to the case. It's a nice basic case but with great looks and wire management. If you can find the HAF 912 advanced id get that as it's got the USB 3.0 header for the front panel and the fans for the top and side panel.

God haf cases are ugly. Besides it costs 105 in aus. He'd be better off with a Bitfenix shinobi for 69. Or antec three hundred two (302).

What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
Mainly a gaming rig. we will be recording gameplay as well as editing footage of recorded videos, but gaming performance is priority #1

What is your budget? 1000 - 1200 AUD
Does this include a copy of Windows?
indeed it does
Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
my buddy needs a screen, mouse, keyboard and possibly a wifi card.
Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
PCCG is the site im using
Do you have any specific requests with the build?
a second hard drive for better recording performance
Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
no overclocking at all.
Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
indifferent
Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
indifferent
In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
a little wiggle room is all thats required
Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies?
no

Looks fine to me. From Australia right? All those prices from an instant glance are PC case gear prices. Lol. The 3570 cannot be over clocked though? Any reason you picked that and still have an aftermarket cooler?

Also, the neo Eco is out of stock. The corsair cx v2 500 is available and 6 bucks less.

would i be better off just using the stock cooler then? also is the corsair quite and is 500w enough?

It'll be quiet cos you'll never hit more than 50% load anyway; so the fan will never ramp up. I'll mock up a build in a moment. The fact you don't want to OC makes the board choice easier, as well as PSU choice. One moment..

Here tis. With Windows and peripherals + monitor and wi fi card. That Momentus you had in the original build won't help you for recording. Not anymore than a standard drive. You'd need a large-style SSD to help that... You can get an OCZ Octane 128GB Sata II SSD for 89 bucks off PCCG; but I haven't included any of this as it throws the price out. Hmm. Right; forgot about the Zalman mic and paste... Though you're sticking with the stock cooler anyway so meh. :p. And I always forget the DVD drive... Because I never use them anymore myself lol.

build.PNG

Cos the stock thermal paste is horrible and dries up quickly. Even on a stock cooler I'd use aftermarket thermal paste. He Only needed it in the assumption it'd improve fraps recording. But it won't. This budget doesn't allow an ssd. Not with the requirement of a monitor. Make your own build if you think you can do better.

Cos the stock thermal paste is horrible and dries up quickly. Even on a stock cooler I'd use aftermarket thermal paste. He Only needed it in the assumption it'd improve fraps recording. But it won't. This budget doesn't allow an ssd. Not with the requirement of a monitor. Make your own build if you think you can do better.

TIM is TIM when ya aint OCing:blah:
Dats what I used and my CPU stays @ 30 C, but if he wants to spend the extra $$$....
It would be wise to get a decent CPU cooler though.:thup:

No; it's not. I highly disagree. Stock tim dries out over time and temps rise even with a non-OC'd CPU. It takes a while; but why bother replacing it later when you could just do it straight out here and now and not worry about it?

If he wanted a cheap cooler; Cooler Master TX3 Evo is great. I generally use it on non-oc builds; just because I hate stock coolers >.>

my friend neglected to tell me that this price of 1200 doesn't include peripherals. if you could adjust the build to suit this i would be really grateful :D

Intel 3570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5V
120GB OCZ Agility 3 or 128GB OCZ Agility 4
However big of a hard drive he needs.
Case: NZXT, Bitfenix, Lian LI
Heatsink: Don't remember what PCCG carries, I'll let Mjolnir decide.

Spend the rest on the video card.

Well I opted for a cheaper motherboard/cpu and RAM because there was going to be no overclocking done.. I think I deleted my wishlist =(. Lol. Let's see how we go.. Gimme a bit.

build.PNG

Again; not oriented as an overclocking build.. But I threw in the CPU cooler for the sake of noise... If the budget allows I generally try to avoid stock coolers.. :p. Keeping the CPU cooler can only be a good thing right? =D

Last edited:
ok, could you mock up a build that has OC'ing suppport. my build will be similar to this and i want somewhere to start. thanks :D

EDIT: i also just noticed that the bitfenix shinobi case doesn't come with any fans. should I be worried?

Last edited:
Comes with 2 fans o.o.. I think lol. Ill do it later sure. Budget? On the phone at the moment.

Ah. Comes with one rear exhaust. Could always buy another fan. 9 dollar nexus real silent for an intake at the right. Done. All you need lol.

Ah. Comes with one rear exhaust. Could always buy another fan. 9 dollar nexus real silent for an intake at the right. Done. All you need lol.

if its going to cost $9 for the fan i might put that $9 towards a (possibly better) case. i have been eye-ing the Aerocool Strike-X Advance White. can i have your opinion on it?

Last edited:
Back