• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First try of the pelt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

Got this little pelt ages ago and decided to give it a try out and see if it would get seb zero on its own, and to my surprise it got pretty cold pretty fast, I don't know what sort of load it will be able to cool but I'm sure it should knock a few degs of a 939 or even a liw power c2d if I'm lucky, pretty impressed with these little things, cost me about £1.50 from Japan, bargain :thup:

I put a finger print in the frost to make it easier to see lol

7ABA3E68-AF63-40DD-B642-4C95760FF229-1675-0000019BE0B03029_zps9573c2f3.jpg

I was told watercooling did a similar job, but i dont believe it when looking at that.

A quick look on ebay, i see that i may want to get one! or many!

I don't think you will get ice on a watercooling loop lol

I can only agree, i looking into this Peltier thing years ago, but like i said, people said not worth it. but this the price they are, why the hack not?

Hows the heat on the other side of it? Wouldnt mind trying this out on my HTPC, if its a huge success, then i would use it on my 3770K.

How does wiring need to be when running a pelier in a pc. Since it runs up to 15v and the PSU only gives off 12v then i presume outside source is needed?

I watched a video on youtube, and seems the condence from the peltier could become a problem. Maybe with watercooling, stick peltiers to a rad, that should cool well?

Last edited:
I can only agree, i looking into this Peltier thing years ago, but like i said, people said not worth it. but this the price they are, why the hack not?

Hows the heat on the other side of it? Wouldnt mind trying this out on my HTPC, if its a huge success, then i would use it on my 3770K.

EDIT:
How does wiring need to be when running a pelier in a pc. Since it runs up to 15v and the PSU only gives off 12v then i presume outside source is needed?

The hot side of the pelt gets pretty hot so you need a beefy cooler to make it viable as a cooler and I just plugged it into the pcie plug from the psu, I used a seperate psu just to test it, but I don't see why it would not work from you're rigs psu, I know it states that they need 15v but it seems to be working fine running from the pcie plug lol. I think a 3770k would just be far too much heat for a pelt to handle and it would end up just being a hindrance and not working.

12 V is fine on 15 V pelts, you just lose some wattage is all.

The hot side needs to be able to get rid of not only all the heat from the CPU but also all the heat from the pelt. For a 135w (at 12 V) pelt and a 65w CPU, you're looking at 200w you need to get rid of.
The pelt can only drop the temp of a decent load (like that ratio) by maybe 30-50c at best, so you need to keep the hot side pretty cool.

Of course when it goes subzero, you get ice. Given a hefty load it'll go positive and the ice will melt.
Waterproofing is key.

You need a pelt that is at least twice the wattage of what you're cooling, so for a 3770k or 3570k at stock you need a ~135w pelt. If you start OCing, you need a much beefier pelt, which of course means much more cooling.

The above assumes that you want subzero.

As a sidenote, don't plug a pelt in without something on the hot side to keep it cool. It'll die in seconds.

Careful when working with peltier cooling, you need to use some kind of non conductive tape to seal the area around the peltier block, unit you're cooling, and heatsink cooling the peltier, otherwise you will get condensation, which can damage your system

12 V is fine on 15 V pelts, you just lose some wattage is all.

The hot side needs to be able to get rid of not only all the heat from the CPU but also all the heat from the pelt. For a 135w (at 12 V) pelt and a 65w CPU, you're looking at 200w you need to get rid of.
The pelt can only drop the temp of a decent load (like that ratio) by maybe 30-50c at best, so you need to keep the hot side pretty cool.

Of course when it goes subzero, you get ice. Given a hefty load it'll go positive and the ice will melt.
Waterproofing is key.

You need a pelt that is at least twice the wattage of what you're cooling, so for a 3770k or 3570k at stock you need a ~135w pelt. If you start OCing, you need a much beefier pelt, which of course means much more cooling.

The above assumes that you want subzero.

As a sidenote, don't plug a pelt in without something on the hot side to keep it cool. It'll die in seconds.

Great info. I ordered 3, for the fun of it.

Since i got a free LGA 1366 motherboard, i thought i might find a cheap CPU and try out pelts on that. If i can get the motherboard to post ofcourse.

Careful when working with peltier cooling, you need to use some kind of non conductive tape to seal the area around the peltier block, unit you're cooling, and heatsink cooling the peltier, otherwise you will get condensation, which can damage your system

That is something i became aware of. With that said, how does one waterproof a motherboard? :shrug:

Back