• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flight Sim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi
If starting brand new with Linux, where do I start loading to Hard drive and if Ubuntu is also required for flight simulator FS2004....( unsure if it will work )...what and where do I get the correct files?

In what order do I download the files to disc before booting up from DVD drive?

All good advice welcome,

Berne:cool:

You can download the iso from here, http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop . (You can also request a cd if you'd like).

Burn it to a cd, and then put it in your cd drive and reboot. Make sure your computer is set to boot off of the cd, then just let it boot. It'll walk ya through the set up. :)

As far as FS2004 is concerned you'll need to install wine and see the appdb entry here about FS2004.

Rephrase

Apologies,
I just formatted my hard drive using the free Ultimate Boot CD, on there is Part Magic which is all new to me. Anyhow, it allows internet access, using a submenu Chromium browser..this is all via the UBCD. Now I been trying to download files Linux and Ubuntu, but its not at all like XP . The file comes down and when I save it the file vanishes into the taskbar and from here ..well its lost? How do I bring up the file open it and install it....especially as Im in CD mode only...I mean can I use the Part Magic to prepare my formatted hard drive to accept Linux and Ubuntu?

Lasly the booting sequence is defautled to looking for the UBCD? Ive tried setting the BIOS boot first to Hard Drive but still the bootsys is looking for the USCD....Im thinking this is because I formatted my hard drive, just a thought? Anyhow, what can I do in this situation, to get my hard drive back up with Linux and Ubuntu correctly loaded?

Thanks for the advice so far,

Berne:confused:

Wow that was just confusingly written for some reason...

I'd install a partition with WinXP personally to run FS2004 or any other directx9 stuff. It'll just present less headaches overall.

XP

Yes XP or FSX is the way to go....Linux is looking too buggy at least at this time.

Any others got time on the Parted Magic software found on the Ultimate Boot CD?

Berne

FSX is a bit of a poorly coded program IMO. Not enough of a significant improvement in feel over 2004 and a massive performance hit unless you really have good hardware or you're willing to really cut back on the settings. That's just me. I do have it. I just feel it's too power hungry. I also assume you don't currently own it and feel it is a waste of money if you own 2004 and that said money is best spent on 'simulation' of flying a single engine over mountains with low visibility in snow while drunk-- using said money to buy the beer to accomplish this. All very scientific.

Ever tried landing the 747 in a heavy crosswind with poor visibility? Drunk? It's MUCH more difficult- and then when you finally get a fantastic landing out of it- the replay the next morning is good for kicks because you landed on a taxiway and were too drunk to notice.

Yes XP or FSX is the way to go....Linux is looking too buggy at least at this time.

Any others got time on the Parted Magic software found on the Ultimate Boot CD?

Berne

Linux isn't too buggy at all. The problem is you are trying to download the cd inside of UBCD. Since you aren't saving it to the hdd, there isn't enough space to download the ubuntu cd. Best and easiest bet would be to go to another computer and download ubuntu, or just order the cd's and they will be there in a week or two? You *might* be able to walk into bestbuy and buy an ubuntu cd. I know at my local bestbuy they sell the cd's for $1.

Hi,
To the Ocnoob, in part I tend to agree on the Linux Fs2004 issue I think at this stage Linux compatibility with FS2004 is too buggy, but time could well rectify that.

As for Linux and Ubuntu well just today I got to grips with Ubuntu from the CD at least and YEA..its a super software set OS initially quite user friendly, speed seems up too. Still unsure if Ubuntu is LINUX or I must also install LINUX after Ubuntu is installed, a little more reading required.

To Shelnutt2, Im all for your pro Linux stance and gaming with the OS will come good as more users wish for it. No, you got me wrong I have now got the CD and been browsing from the CD, but little help exists on installing one half windows one half Ubuntu ....and Im not talking Dual boot ( alot on that option ), good luck.

Berne;)

Last edited:
<snip>

To Shelnutt2, Im all for your pro Linux stance and gaming with the OS will come good as more users wish for it. No, you got me wrong I have now got the CD and been browsing from the CD, but little help exists on installing one half windows one half Ubuntu ....and Im not talking Dual boot ( alot on that option ), good luck.

Berne;)

I'm confused, if you don't mean dual boot, then do you mind explaining what half windows half ubuntu means?

I'm confused, if you don't mean dual boot, then do you mind explaining what half windows half ubuntu means?

I'm confused now too as he just asked if he needs to install Ubuntu and Linux. Ubuntu IS linux.

There are various different GUI (graphical user interfaces) for Linux. These include Ubuntu, Mint, and others. They're all the same person in different clothing.

I'm confused now too as he just asked if he needs to install Ubuntu and Linux. Ubuntu IS linux.

There are various different GUI (graphical user interfaces) for Linux. These include Ubuntu, Mint, and others. They're all the same person in different clothing.

Ubuntu, Mint, etc., aren't "GUIs for Linux;" they're distros (or distributions), as in different "flavors" of Linux if you will. The actual GUI itself is provided by the desktop environment or window manager, such as Gnome or KDE.

I am also having trouble understanding what he means by having half Ubuntu, half windows; but not dual booting...

Hi,
Hope this helps:
1) I have a new hard drive 640GB

2) I want two 320GB partitions on that drive ONE for Windows the other for Linux/Ubuntu. As some of us have now learned the OS is Linux on which Ubuntu ( my chosen distribution ) is packed into.

3) I think terminology here needs clarified, Im relatively new to Partition tech, so if 2 above is Dual Boot then that is what I planned, the hard drive is now divided into two equal parts with Windows NTFS on one partition and Linux/Ubuntu ext.4 on the other.

The problem Im running into now is, having run from the CD to install Ubuntu progress is fine up to the part where I need to Edit the partition. Im assumming you are familiar with the bar chart showing all partitions on the drive. To activate the install this is what Im doing....I highlight the partition on which I want Ubuntu installed, then I choose the correct file system ext.4 in this case, then I leave the Format box empty, then Change and choose Mount Point, /, ( not sure what to choose here but / got the process running )? Advise if this is incorrect and supply correct parameter, then install . Now, we get to the 'Who Are You' page, Ok, we enter the relevant details and hit the correct button to install the files...the files bar then shows progress...But...after 90% the progress bar stops with the message...' Ready When You Are'...what should I do now, please advise? FYI there is a greyed bar at this point which if you click on it opens a black window with tech text about the install process...the text means nothing to me but I wonder if I should be entering some code here as there is a flashing curser which does accept text?

I can uninstall XP from the Windows created partition and format the whole drive again without any partitions , reinstall XP and install Ubuntu using the CD install alongside other OS ( XP ) option but is this a buggy road to travel?

We are all learning here,

Berne:chair:

O.K., here's what you do:

1. Install windows, but leave the part of the hard drive that you want to install Linux on RAW, unpartitioned, unformatted.

2. Install Ubuntu, choosing the raw, unpartitioned section of the hard drive as the install destination. Let the installer just set up the partition table it needs for Ubuntu.

3. I doubt if the Ubuntu installer will ask, but allow GRUB to be installed, it will handle your dual boot set-up just fine.

4. you're done.

Still unsure if Ubuntu is LINUX or I must also install LINUX after Ubuntu is installed, a little more reading required.

Linux is just one program. It is a kernel which in overly simplistic terms allows software to talk to hardware.

Ubuntu is NOT linux. Like I said before Linux is a kernel. Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distribution (which many people I believe incorrectly refer to as a "linux distribution") that uses linux as its kernel. Ubuntu is run by Canonical and Mark Shuttleworth. Linux is run Linus Torvalds et al. Saying they are the same thing is mixing up terms and will confuse the OP even more. Also Ubuntu, Mint, and others are not GUIs. That is also wrong. I think you mean to talk about desktop environments like KDE and GNOME which are different.

It's important to get your terms right because I get the feeling that the OP is confused and mixing up terms won't help.

Last edited:
Linux is just one program. It is a kernel which in overly simplistic terms allows software to talk to hardware.

Ubuntu is NOT linux. Like I said before Linux is a kernel. Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux distribution (which many people I believe incorrectly refer to as a "linux distribution") that uses linux as its kernel. Ubuntu is run by Canonical and Mark Shuttleworth. Linux is run Linus Torvalds et al. Saying they are the same thing is mixing up terms and will confuse the OP even more. Also Ubuntu, Mint, and others are not GUIs. That is also wrong. I think you mean to talk about desktop environments like KDE and GNOME which are different.

It's important to get your terms right because I get the feeling that the OP is confused and mixing up terms won't help.

I know it's the kernel.

Explaining it as a GUI over an OS vs an OS over a kernel is simpler. Now we have to explain what a kernel is. That's another five posts. :bday:

I know it's the kernel.

Explaining it as a GUI over an OS vs an OS over a kernel is simpler. Now we have to explain what a kernel is. That's another five posts. :bday:

I don't know what you are talking about. Most of these concepts (at least at the level he needs to know them can be boiled down to one sentance). Like I said kernel allows the software applications a user runs to talk to the hardware. Then all you have to do is link the wikipedia articles if he wants to know more (Kernel (computing) and Linux kernel). It doesn't take 5 posts. However oversimplifying things to the point where the information is incorrect (e.g. Ubuntu and Linux are the exact same thing and Ubuntu is just a GUI) does a disservice. When he goes somewhere to ask for help he may say one thing but mean a totally different thing (i.e. because he can't clearly explain the difference between a desktop environment, a distro, and a kernel) but can't help it because he was taught wrong. He is lucky he posted here where people are friendly and help new people. Some places will laugh your <expletive> out of town for that.

Either way enough thread derailment. To the OP let me try to help.

2) I want two 320GB partitions on that drive ONE for Windows the other for Linux/Ubuntu. As some of us have now learned the OS is Linux on which Ubuntu ( my chosen distribution ) is packed into.

Again (see my above posts) just to clarify your terminology. Ubuntu is not packed into linux. Ubuntu is a collection of software that uses Linux as the kernel. Windows also has a kernel. For their latest version Windows 7 it uses the NT kernel (I don't use windows so this may be wrong, correct me if I am) but you would not say windows is packed into NT.

3) The problem Im running into now is, having run from the CD to install Ubuntu progress is fine up to the part where I need to Edit the partition. <snipped for length>

I can uninstall XP from the Windows created partition and format the whole drive again without any partitions , reinstall XP and install Ubuntu using the CD install alongside other OS ( XP ) option but is this a buggy road to travel?

We are all learning here,

Berne

I would suggest you try the Windows "wubi" installer. (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/windows-installer). It basically lets you do what I think you want to do. You select what drive you want to install to and how big you want it to be.

Last edited:
Geting Started

Hi,
Terminology is I see important. Linux is the Kernal and Ubuntu is my chosen Distribution / Software USED by Linux. ihrsetrdr , prior to your reply I found the 'wubi' installer and that has worked for me thanks.

Safe to say we got this project started, thank you.

Berne:)

Hi,
Terminology is I see important. Linux is the Kernal and Ubuntu is my chosen Distribution / Software USED by Linux. ihrsetrdr , prior to your reply I found the 'wubi' installer and that has worked for me thanks.

Safe to say we got this project started, thank you.

Berne:)

You got the basic idea. Obviously there is a TON more to learn but you got the general concept. Post up if you need more help. Cheers. :soda:

There is a lot of history here if you want more info you can check out the movie Revolution OS. You can watch the trailer here (http://www.revolution-os.com/musicvideo.html)

After all these years,......hi there , its been many years since I was at the above stage , time and my IT has moved on for the better,....my sim time has vanished , Im now a taxi driver ten years. I wanted to stop by to thank all contributers to my past dilemas, I am greatful still for all your contributions.

Anytime in Belfast....call Valuecabs , bye for now. Berne

Back