• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fluke 17B+ ... the multimeter I've always wanted? Thoughts wanted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Hey folks... long time no see. I've recently started a new job, I'm now a repair technician servicing standby generators... The permanent ones outside homes and businesses... And so, I need a SOLID, accurate meter. Gonna be testing AC and DC voltages... low and high. Checking impedance of windings, continuity, you name it. Also plenty of more, and less advanced things @ home :cool:

I was going to buy a newer model Fluke 87... but those suckers are almost $500! :eek:

So... theres a cheapie that I found from my favorite youtuber, AvE (check this guy out, AWESOME content) Fluke's 12E... That is one, of several, cheap DMMs that are only available in the chinese market.

Last night, I ordered one of the higher end "china" units... the 17E+... Super excited, it arrives tomorrow from amazon... Mini review to follow :) Going to compare it to my friends 87 IIII

Full specs here!! (BTW, buttons and on screen text are in ENGLISH but the printed manual it ships with & box are CHINESE!) No problem, because these are pretty easy to use! and I'm sure English version is available on-line, but these meters are NOT sold in north america... That's why its sub $150 instead of $300+!

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/inen/dig...-purpose-multimeters/fluke-17b+.htm?pid=78682

Amazon link I got mine from...

SSEYL FLUKE 17B+ Digital Multimeter

F_17b_plus_dmm_01a_328x220.jpg

ALSO... thinking of getting a clamp - to - probe ... AC current clamp transducer thing...

$14 delivered to my door... fleabay: 161933671756

Has settings for 1mv or 10mv per amp... looks like dirt cheap junk, but i've read reviews saying it holds up along /w a decent DMM...

So everybody, thoughts please, opinions welcome!! And like I said, I'll try and post a mini review, or at least my experiences with it. It'll be here TOMORROW, ordered it last night, damn that's cool :)

I specialized in electrical/electronic systems for years working on motorcycles and building race bikes and street customs. Fluke was the only meter I'd have in my tool box. Fuel injection and electronic engine management requires some precise measurements repeatibility is a must. I swear by Fluke meters.

Ehh...I own Fluke. Mostly use it for my benching activity.
For work my Mac EM710+ is more than adequate.

Joe Smith does a lot of multimeter testing:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsK99WXk9VhcghnAauTBsbg/videos
Summary: Fluke is pretty solid for reliability. The cheaper versions just don't have the extra features and certifications (e.g. NIST traceable calibration) that you probably don't need.

The cheap inductive current probes work for AC, but because of the nature of induction (voltage induced in coil is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux), they tend to be sensitive to noise unless there's an integrating circuit to compensate for that. Hall probes are better and also useful for DC. The absolute best are fluxgate magnetometers but they're also very expensive.

I'm not real clear on why you would go for the Chinese version. North American versions of the 17B go for around $150 and have the standard Fluke warranty. Safety parameters are very important if you plan to work on mains equipment. The CAT rating is something I would be concerned about and if the Chinese version actually meets the safety standards. Just something to think about since you did say you would be working on generators.

Good luck

Joe Smith's testing shows that the cheaper Flukes, as long as they are genuine, are at least as robust as the more expensive ones.

Dam wish I could afford a Fluke. Best i got is a Craftsman 82400 I got onsale years ago. Even came with a temp probe, but that broke :( It works as it should tho for my needs.

Fluke meters are the ones to have for precise balls to the wall accuracy reads.

Back