• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on Linux and Shellshock vulnerability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker_927

I currently fold on multiple machine and have found the images here (http://www.linuxforge.net/docs/crunching/fah-virtualbox.php) very useful for setting up a Linux folding box. One of the reasons I find them so useful is that I know very little about how to use the Linux command line. This has presented very little issue until the new shellshock bash vulnerability surfaced.

Using the typical apt-get or yum commands I find around the net don't appear to be supported in the image.

Does anyone know of a way to update my bash version?

Thanks

This issue is hilariously overblown. There is no "remotely exploitable" unless the remote system that you trust was exploited first. Your home systems are not at risk unless your router is running bash as part of its DHCP process, and even then your ISP must be compromised first.

Unlike "heartbleed", this exploit requires target systems to have rather amazingly bad configurations to be effective.

This issue is hilariously overblown. There is no "remotely exploitable" unless the remote system that you trust was exploited first. Your home systems are not at risk unless your router is running bash as part of its DHCP process, and even then your ISP must be compromised first.

Unlike "heartbleed", this exploit requires target systems to have rather amazingly bad configurations to be effective.

None the less, I need to update bash on several versions of Ubuntu. Is it possible to do this update manually for each machine and how do I do it. I need really specific instructions because I know little about Ubuntu and even less about manual updates. This is the update page, I think.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2362-1/

What should I do with it?

In order to find what version of bash that your system has type "bash --version". The following Ubuntu should have the listed version of bash, to be secure:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS:
bash 4.3-7ubuntu1.1
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:
bash 4.2-2ubuntu2.2
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:
bash 4.1-2ubuntu3.1

Just doing "sudo apt-get update" should yield the appropriate updated bash version from the ubuntu repos.

Back