• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

form / fit / fuction question for noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadieWarrior

Registered
hey ya'll...
i'm building a new server for a home business and i am considering using a closed loop water system.
MOTHERBOARD:
ASRock EP2C612D16C-4L
PROCESSORS:
Intel Xeon E5-2640 V3
CASE (S):
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
OR
Rosewill RISE
COOLING SYSTEMS?
Fractal Design Celsius S36

my budget is $2K+ and i believe that gives me enough to not have to compromise too much. my main goal is easy minimal service. this server will be placed in a closet and probably not touched for years! lol. it will be on 24/7 and i highly doubt anyone will ever clean it. i do understand dust will still accumulate in the tower, but the last PC i built for them they never cleaned the heat sink on the cpu.
here are some of my concerns:
if i use the first tower, will 2 each Fractal 3 fan assemblies be usable? it looks to me only a 2 fan version can go on the front and i don't think it would be good to have one of the assemblies on the bottom.
will the second tower be able to fit 2 each Fractal 3 fan assemblies, one in the front and one on top?
i'm really open to ideas and different components.
here is the link to all the proposed components:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ssBCHB
honestly, the goal is to build a way overkill system because it has to be able to handle 5-6 computers and also be able to remote in with little to no lag.
i'm really just thinking using the closed loop water system for a quite smooth system.
thanks in advance!

Seems like its a retro build or something. Id go Intel too... :p

As far as fitment, the case website lists clearances so you should be able to see it from there.

The motherboard form factor is SSI EEB which is 12"x13". An ATX motherboard is 12"x9.6" so there's a good chance a SSI EEB board wont properly fit in a Full ATX case.

no, no specific reason i didn't go with AMD. anything i found on server builds all suggested Xenon processors.

Fractal Design Define 7 XL
this might be a better case. slightly overkill, since i won't be using a bleeding edge GPX, nor will i have 18 HDs. for a server, i honestly only need 1TB because it's just holding files and pics. either way, i'm installing 2 each 1TB drives. at $110 each, i'm thinking of getting 4 of them and trying out that Raid 1+0 set up.
good call on the SSI EEB form factor. i really didn't even notice how much bigger that MB is. this case will definitely hold those 2 AOI systems. i'm thinking of getting the Enermax LIQTECH II 360 over the Fractal.
again, still in the planning stage, i want to make sure i get it right the first time.

If this is going to sit uncleaned (and probably unchecked) for long periods, then watercooling might not be the best choice. But those AIO units have come a long way recently, so I guess that it could be alright. At bare minimum I would be looking at a case that comes with dust filters installed, or buying some to install. This will help to keep dust infiltration to a minimum.

Back