• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Found a picture of my old water cooled rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gungeek

I thought some of you might be interested in water cooling from a decade ago.

AMD XP2500 cpu and 9700 Pro gpu with swiftech waterblocks. The rad is an '86 chevette heatercore (fin area is 140x140mm) with a 1.5" deep tupperware dish shroud. The fan on the shroud (and back of case) is a 120x38mm Nidec Beta V screamer (100+ cfm at 12V) undervolted to 5V. The pump is a Hydor L30 aquarium pump. It vibrated some which is why it was sitting on a gel-pad in the case. Power for the pump was simply a 120Vac plug into the power strip. I always used a T-line and distilled water with 25% all-metal anti-freeze coolant.

With the cpu and gpu overclocked nicely, max temps were in the mid 40's C. It was a quiet rig with the slow fans and ran 24/7 for about 6 years before something on the motherboard (Abit NF7-S) failed.

EDIT: I found this post describing the multiple tubing sizes and arrangement: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3177167&postcount=4

Attachments

• IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Wow, I remember those days! In fact my loop was almost exactly that around the NF7 days except I used a Danner pump. You got to love the old heater core builds that started it all. I have no pictures of my old stuff but I sure wish I did, nice find!

I haven't seen an NF7-S in quite some time, when I had mine I wasn't into water cooling yet but I also had an Athlon XP 2500 over clocked to XP 3200 speed 2.2GHz I believe, with a Thermalright copper heatsink with a 92mm fan and a 6800GT on stock cooling that wouldn't over clock at all. That system was also the first time I bought an LCD monitor 17" for $600.

Back