• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free file copy/backup software solutions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

We're previewing Delta Copy (based on rsync) and having intermittent issues. The goal is to do simple xcopy style, scheduled file transfers across the network to a locally attached storage device (likely an external hard drive). Are there any, non-rsync based solutions anyone could recommend? A GUI would be nice but it's not required.

The list is handy, but I was hoping for first hand experience/recommendations. It will take a long time to properly test all of them (as we learned with rsync)...

Yup, windows environment.

I use freefilesync which works excellent and was just updated to v3.18. I noticed capivara is not in the 'list'. It's java and i have not used it just yet.

"Capivara is a two pane file manager with support for SFTP and FTP servers. Capivara is not an ordinary file manager because it adds synchronization features like comparing timestamps or SHA-1 hash values. The synchronization of Capivara has a preview mode to shows which files are going to be deleted or copied. The basic look and most key bindings are inspired by two file managers I really like to work with: mc and worker."
http://capivara.sourceforge.net/
FreeFileSync (open source) is also not in the 'list'.
http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried syncback (random first try of the suggestions) and it seems to be perfect for our needs. Doing some testing now, but so far so good. GUI is really good too, much better than Delta Copy.

if your on windows vista or 7 use the built in robocopy ... look up how to use it... i personlly have a lil batch file that i have made, excluding w/e directories i dont want to backup, useing the /mir switch to make a mirror copy of everything within the specified directory.... works wonders, and is VERY quick (as it will look at time stamps and see which file is newer etc etc)

you can also add it in to win xp / server 2003 VERY easily via a download from MS.

I would look for somthing along the lines of a HDD replicating/cloning program rather than a backup program IMHO.

Backup programs are catchy, a cloned and unhooked HDD is like a Cadillac!

I would look for somthing along the lines of a HDD replicating/cloning program rather than a backup program IMHO.

Backup programs are catchy, a cloned and unhooked HDD is like a Cadillac!

If the OP just wants to run hourly/nightly/weekly backups of a certain set of files, imaging the whole hard drive is just plain silly.

I'd suggest a batch file with robocopy. Robocopy replaces xcopy and is included in Vista and greater (you can download it for XP too). You can use the /MOT argument to basically have it monitor the source location for any changes. You can make a script containing:

Code:
robocopy /mir /copyall /m /r:0 /mot:1 source: destination:

/MIR - mirrors the file structure: copies all files as well as purges **read: deletes** files at the destination that no longer exist at source.
/COPYALL - copies all file attributes, security descriptors, ownership, etc.
/M - Only copies files with the archive bit set and clears the archive bit once copied; this ensures subsequent copies are differential. Windows sets the archive by default on all files created and altered.
/R:0 - instructs tool to not retry copying files that are either locked or otherwise unable to copy; prevents tool from hanging seemingly indefinite on a system file that cannot be copied.
/MOT:1 - launches robocopy in monitor mode. The Robocopy process will run indefinitely, monitoring the source directory for any changes and executing again every minute (you can change the 1 to 60 to have it execute each hour)

Then create a batch file and add it to your startup scripts.

The intent is to load the software on a client machine and have them perform scheduled backups off a networked drive to a local storage attached to the computer. Their server(s) already get backed up online, but we want a cheap and easy way to have immediate backups and to use the online backups as a secondary/off site only solution. While scripting is fine, it adds an element of uncertanty until we test it on their network. At least most of that uncertanty is removed using a prefab software solution.

If things don't work out we can revisit robocopy. It was on the radar but we've had mixed success utilizing it in the past.

Back