• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free Windows 10 upgrade grace period extension?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I have worked on two systems for customers lately after the July 29, 2016 free upgrade deadline that after installing Windows 10, surprisingly, activated with no problem. Has Microsoft quietly ignored that deadline or extended it?

Both were clean from scratch destructive installs of Windows 10 where I deleted the existing partitions, not in place upgrades. One was a Windows 7 machine and the other a Windows 8 machine. The second one never even asked me for a new a new product activation code. Both systems were laptops.

I have this feeling that Microsoft is wanting everybody to move to Windows 10 so bad that they're still giving it away for the time being.

Last edited:
Interesting. They are doing things to sour the user experience for win7/8 hoping people will just give in and update.

There is a way to update to Windows 10 for free by modifying the type of machine you have but it's nice to drop all pretense and just let people who want to switch to Windows 10 do so, thank you for posting this trents.

Hope to hear other people's experiences, if you updated *for the first time* in August of 2016 or later, please please post if your Win10 activation also went through.

i updated one of my pc's to windows 10 in august 2016, there is a thing you can do where you say you use the 'accessibility options', and they will give you a free update to windows 10, however, there is no supported drivers for the video card in that rig, and i need to adjust the overscan on that pc, so it will display the whole screen on my TV, and i can not do that without catalyst control center, so i had to roll back to windows 8

ATI 4890.. there was some registry hacks that apparently get the over scan options to work, but that was more hassle than I wanted to deal with. I also have a 5870 I was going to run in that pc, but it doesn't seem to want to work in any of my s775 PCs, works just fine in AM2 rig though.

It's been such a long time but I seem to recall using third party freeware to adjust overscan.
Your question is important.
Would you start a thread in the video card section and post back if they tell you what they use in 2016 made by a third-party to adjust overscan?

It seems to me, that with all of the tutorials on how to get around paying for a license through the handicap exploit, Microsoft woulda patched it, or done something to make you PROVE it. They're probably leaving the free upgrades for those who are on 7/8/8.1 that know about it, but the ones who don't, or are on vista or earlier, will be stuck buying a disc/license. I figure that at the very least, you'll still be able to use the handicap exploit for a loooooooong time.

Back