• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freezing problems 1.2GAthlon @ 1.46G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReTiCuLeX

Iam having freezing problems when Iam playing my online games such as Rogue Spear. I tried puting it at correct speed to see If it wouldn't freeze while I play and It still freezes up. When I play It either gives me a blue screen or gives me a black screen, while playing or reboots it self while in a game I haven't seen it do this while runing applications except when going to shut down I get blue screen sumtimes.I currently have it set up as follows the comp ASUS A7V133 Mobo 1.2Ghz TB AXIA @ 1.46GHZ (1466 Mhz) CL3 Ram 128 PC133 Offbrand no name ram , ATI RADEON 32MB DDR, SoundBlaster Live Value, Global win fop 38 fan , 300 wat powersuply Cdrom and CDRW drives 1 floopy , 2 chassis fans inside, 1 Gigantc fan on outside blowing air in and 1 door on comp open to take out hotair, 30 gig maxtor hardrive, All Drivers are up to date for everything everything is NON BETA I also have Bios version 1.04 the latest version my ASUS Mobo doesn't have in bios to set frequencys only dipswitches this is newer model of a7v133.

Is your agp port set to 4x? If so, try setting it at 2x or lower. It sounds like a video problem. I dont know what your FSB is set to but if it's higher than normal, that might be your problem. Also the AGP apeture (sp) should be set to half the amount of ram you have IE: 128 meg ram, 64 meg AGP apeture size.

I don't think your problem is overclocking related.

Firstly, which Operating System are you running? Second, which version of directx? (To find out your directx version, go to C:\program files\directx\dxdiag.exe, or go start->run->dxdiag) ..it says the version on the first screen, should be 8.0, if not upgrade it (www.microsoft.com/directx). If it _is_ 8.0, consider running the directx graphic tests (Directdraw, direct3d, agp texturing) and see if those work properly.

If those tests are successful, try a different Direct3d or OpenGL game and see if that locks up or not. If it doesn't, consider reinstalling your copy of Rogue Spear. If the games _do_ lockup, then there's a couple of things you could try..

1. Get a different set of drivers for your video card
2. Install the newest version of the VIA 4in1 drivers (4.29)

Hope it works out for ya..

ReTiCuLe

dude please...

you may have reached the limit of your chip at or around 1380-1420 ....

freezes' and other errors are occurring because you have reached the upper limit .......the only way you can go higher (maybe) would be with better cooling or high performance memory ..such as mushkin or crucial

200 to 250 mgz oc is considered very good ;D

Be nice Kat, he said in his post he tried it at the "correct speed" <one has to assume he means non overclocked at 1.2 ghz> also 1466 isnt really all that fast for an AXIA code, my AXIA 1ghz is running at 1470...sounds to me like a Power supply problem could be another possibility to look at, with a laid out computer im starting to think a cheap 300 watt supply amd certified or not may not cut it, i think my computer is getting pretty close to the edge

Well now iam geting an error kernal 32 im gona try switching videocards maybe that will help i did alrdy all those things u guys told me to do i doubt its my ram sis soft sandra says my ram is fine.

I think your Ram is the problem I HAD 320 mb of ram(2-128 SpekTek 1- 64mb of Kingston) Si Soft was 432 got me some Crucial 256mb Si Soft 608 so that tells me that RAM is the KEY to a GREAT system dump the no-named stuff for Crucial just my opinion

Big Mike (Apr 23, 2001 09:09 a.m.):
Be nice Kat, he said in his post he tried it at the "correct speed" <one has to assume he means non overclocked at 1.2 ghz> also 1466 isnt really all that fast for an AXIA code, my AXIA 1ghz is running at 1470...sounds to me like a Power supply problem could be another possibility to look at, with a laid out computer im starting to think a cheap 300 watt supply amd certified or not may not cut it, i think my computer is getting pretty close to the edge

sorry if that came acoss the wrong way.... but being a guy that beats the crap out of my "stuff" I recognize when a pc has been pushed hard to many times ..lock ups at default settings kernel error blue screen vid card dropping out (black screen)

ReTiCuLe

what os are you using?
do you have norton utilities
go to dos and type scanreg/restore this might help
if you have me then try system restore
and last but not least (my fav) over write windows im not sure if this works with 98 but it does with me

my last oc problem was interesting my modom would not connect to my server it would dial the number start to comunicate and would not finish connecting i installed fresh drivers and tryed three different modoms nothing i did would solve the problem finaly i overwrote windows every thing worked fine after that

Well I did all those things I had reformated 2 times and still nutting i installed 4 in 1 drivers latest 1s flashed my bios installed latest drivers for everything including directx 8.0a I cant even get the thing to work rite at the correct speed of 1200 i tried bring back motherboard replacing it same thing still dont work rite maybe its a bad cpu iam lost rite now im disscussed and runing everything fine on my pentium4 1.4ghz 128 rdram pc800 dell with sum custimized things gg.

ReTiCuLe (Apr 24, 2001 03:41 p.m.):
Well I did all those things I had reformated 2 times and still nutting i installed 4 in 1 drivers latest 1s flashed my bios installed latest drivers for everything including directx 8.0a I cant even get the thing to work rite at the correct speed of 1200 i tried bring back motherboard replacing it same thing still dont work rite maybe its a bad cpu iam lost rite now im disscussed and runing everything fine on my pentium4 1.4ghz 128 rdram pc800 dell with sum custimized things gg.

This is a last resort guess - but hey what can I loose?

Could it be that your heatsink does not make perfect contact with the chip? In some rare occasions the heatsink compound dries up or is squished away in an area where it is needed to make contact. Chip temp still seems ok, but the die may overheat in a certain area.

Solution: Remount heatsink after applying a new layer of heatsink compound.

Yo

HEAT HEAT HEAT.

Post temps I have the axia 1.2 run it at 1.46 and my Alpha pal 6035 cant handle the heat !!I get booted from games at about 54c LOL.

try running Norton memory test you might have a bad stick

my brother is having the same(similar) problem and i believe that we have narrowed it down to generic memory kt7a`s hate the "stuff" asus does as well?

what os are you using?

heres the "stuff"

I don't particularly like Norton ...bogs the system ... but I do run it off the cd all the time

in order to get this test you have to install (which i just did) ;D

Back