• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh Install Of Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I'm coming to the point of installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 I made a few a month ago a disc with the lastest updates from April 2017 and since according to my Windows folder it was installed in 2009 (swear I installed again 2 years ago) anyway my worry is my stuff on my other drives I have it set up where Documents, Music, Photos are on one drive in this case my WD 1TB and also my games from STEAM and Origin. My Seagate 1TB is for back-up purposes for some large games and my music photos etc. When I install Windows 7 again will it still see all these drives as normal I won't have to format any of them will I to use I do have an iOmega 500GB USB drive that I will copy music, docs photos too because they are more important games I can re-download but I have a feeling it will just see the drives as normal but my feeling says BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP.

I was interested in Win 10 maybe give it a try but I am not sure if some of my STEAM games will work where as with 7 everything works but I don't think I can get the Win 10 upgrade or what I would like a fresh install disc.

Backups are always a good idea :)

Your other drives should be fine though. I have all of my User folders moved from the SSD where Windows 7 lives and put on a 1TB HDD. Whenever I do a fresh install all of the old User folders (Documents /Music/Pictures /Video etc) are just how I left them. Then I have to remap the new Windows install to know where they are. Done :)

But backups are a good idea still. Cant be too careful. Oh and be sure to unplug everything but the drive you are installing Windows on. That way you can guard against accidentally formatting the wrong drive (and apparently its a best practice for other reasons also)

You can get weird things like the bootloader installing to the slave instead of the os drive. The drive letters can also switch around and confuse you so its better to just unplug the drive. remapping is where its at like knoober said.

you can download the latest official full install for 10 and put it on a flash drive. Use your legit windows 7 key during or after a clean format/install and it will activate fine. They started allowing it a few months ago without having to "upgrade your key" by doing an upgrade prior.

Back