• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fullscale addoption of DDR3 delayed to 2010?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimoneX

Closet Elitist Member
I haven't found anything to confirm this link posted on another thread but here it is, take it with a grain of salt:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090114PD221.html

It says:

CPU makers postpone DDR3 generation to 2010
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Thursday 15 January 2009]

Although both Intel and AMD were originally expected to fully transition to DDR3 across their product lines in 2009, with the two players now postponing their DDR3-only chipset schedules, the DDR3 generation is not expected to arrive until 2010, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Since DDR3 memory prices have not fallen as much as Intel expected, while demand for its Core i7 CPU and X58 chipsets also has not yet met expectations, Intel has decided to postpone its DDR3-only 5-series chipsets until September this year.

Meanwhile, AMD's is still struggling with technical difficulties to achieve stability and compatibly with the DDR3 controller built into its AM3-based CPUs, and so the company is also unlikely to transition to DDR3 until it is able to come out with a workable BIOS, added the sources.

Last edited:
I thought its underway now with AMD releasing AM3 which takes DDR3 and gigabyte just released a motherboard supporting it....

Implementing and full scale adoption are 2 differnet things.

AMD is working on getting DDR3 chipsets up and running, however the article is saying that they will not stop producing DDR2 chipsets for at least another year.

Good news for us.

This means we have another year of purchasing nice cheap DDR2 setups and just have to hold off for 6 months or so after full scale implementation is complete for DDR3 prices to drop to something more reasonable (4GB in the sub $100 range)

I saw that motherboard release. Looks promising. I too found the two events to be contradictory. The news release claims AMD is having difficulties with a working BIOS. Perhaps Gigabyte has this worked out to their satisfaction? Doesn't necessarily mean there will be any AM3 CPUs available to put in the board.

I'm not sure about AMDs schedule but I wouldn't call the Intel mainstream 5-series a delay yet, they were always supposed to come out in late 2009.

Agreed. I thought I'd read August previously, but either way it's not much of a delay at this point...if at all.

DDR3 is still too expensive for mainsteam users, most still use on board graphics. No surprise that it is still delayed, it just isn't much faster than ddr2 at this point in real world.

wow if you think DDR3 is $$ then we must be on different planets... many must not remember that good ocing DDR2-800 ca4 2gig kits use to cost $250. for that same price now i can get good DDR3-1600 cas8 4gig kits. where is this magical extra cost coming from? its not like DDR3 in 2gig kits cost more then what i paid, well they use to for a short time. Now is a different story though, while i know you can get DDR3 4gig kits for $49 like you can DDR2-800 cas 4 4gig kits. what do you expect when DDR3 is new tech, that hasnt been out that long.

This means we have another year of purchasing nice cheap DDR2 setups and just have to hold off for 6 months or so after full scale implementation is complete for DDR3 prices to drop to something more reasonable (4GB in the sub $100 range)

DDR2 wasnt even that cheap for years, 4G for sub $100, that really has only happened over the last year or so that DDR2 has dropped so much.

Yah, i know that DDR2 did not drop until 18 months after implemented by AMD..

However you are forgetting the reason for the massive price drop. Big lawsuit against the memory manufacturers for manipulating hte market.

Thats why DDR2 got so cheap, but, there was a DDR2 price drop shortly after AMD went to it.

So I exepct it to happen again. (not right away of course, as demand will increase, hence why I said 6 months)

it is not price that is driving the waiting period of DDR-III. it is the memory manufacuters not able to meet the demands of a full scale adoption of this type of memory. that is why intel had to delay the release of the new server platform because nobody could MFG ecc reg DDR-III modules good enough for the release.

Yeh. I hope DDR3 does drop as low as DDR2 has just recently. I might jsut hold off and upgrade onto that new hardware line up.

We are spoiled by the DDR2 prices not surprising nobody wants to move up and from the little DDR2 margins they do not want to convert fabs to DDR3 too fast and suffer the same fate again.

This is not good news if true for mem chip makers who are being crunched by DDR2's tiny margins and cutthroat competition.

Interesting.

Of course most markets being in a recession atm and peeps just not buying things to justify pushing the manufacturing to at this time also might figure in ya think :p

Not a real good market overall to be pushing mainstream to upgrade a whole computer system these days for gaming at least in my case atm, mine does just fine for about anything I want to.

I too will jump on the DDR3 is not that expensive bandwagon. Granted it's been a few years since I've been in the game, but I remember paying $170 or so for 1Gb of G.Skill GH. The 1600 Tri kit I just picked up was $145 after MIR.

Fullscale adpoption has nothing to do with the high performance segment, which is the only thing people on these forums care about.

The high performance segment will have fullscale DDR3 adpoption by the end of this year most likely. Intel will be pretty much 100% DDR3 at the end of 2009.

I too remember when DDR2 was too expensive and was willing to wait for the price drop.

I did in fact order 4GB of DDR3 today tho for $175

Back