• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 6200 OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOnlyFool

Registered
Ok so here's the deal, I'm trying to OC my Fx6200 but 2 things are concerning me.

Simple, I have it running at 200mhz x 21.5 (4.3ghz), My Vcore fluctuates from 1.456v to 1.464v on load, but whats bugging me is, isn't that Vcore a little high for just 4.3ghz? I'm trying to get it up to around 4.5 ghz but I'm afraid of that high Vcore...

Any info would be nice

Thx

~TOF

Vcore needed varies from cpu to cpu and mobo to mobo really. If you think it is too high then lower it and see if it still passes 2 hours of Prime 95 running in blend mode. Running P95 blend mode should determine if the system is what may be considered stable. I certainly would monitor temps while under load to see that they do not get too high.

Fluctuation in vcore might be due to the Turbo technology and APM. You do not say if you still have these things enabled.

Fluctuation in vcore might be due to the Turbo technology and APM. You do not say if you still have these things enabled.

Well I'm not worried about the fluctuation, I'm just thinking that in general isn't that vcore quite high for just 4.3ghz when the stock is 3.8ghz? I noticed my stock vcore seems high too (1.4125v I think).

Or do FX cpu's just run at a higher vcore than the usual? Because I remember my old Athlon II x3 running at around 1.3v.

The answer is still the same, you can lower the Vcore and see if 'your' cpu will run with less. Some cpus no matter what we think the 'standard' voltage is can run with lower Vcore. We have seen a few in here that would not run at standard voltages, well not stable at least. Not many but a few.

I cannot say this for all Asus motherboards but for the one I own; as they have released a later bios since Oct of 2011, that the 'default' voltage the board applies to the cpu has GONE UP with each later bios. Why? Don't know. Maybe to take care of those 'few' cases where the cpu did not want to be stable at default voltage applied by the motherboard.

So the Vcore applied by a motherboard can be just about anything the bios writer for the motherboard company wants the default voltage to be. You as the end-user can of course adjust the voltage up/down if your testing shows that you can.

need to see your temp in hardware monitor, 4.3 with the stock cooler might be getting hot.

have you gone into the bios and disabled the cpu fan?
this disables control of the fan and runs it wide open.
you also might have the cpu fan header configured to run a dc fan and have a pwm fan, or vis versa.

Im pretty sure the fan is running off of a temp other than the cpu's, but I cant figure out which one or why...

Im pretty sure the fan is running off of a temp other than the cpu's, but I cant figure out which one or why...

Make sure you have the fan wire connected to the motherboard header that is specifically designated for the CPU.

The fans on AMD and intel stock coolers are temperature controlled with a thermistor regardless of voltage or PWM signal control.

Of course, you can force it to run slower with a controller though.

The fans on AMD and intel stock coolers are temperature controlled with a thermistor regardless of voltage or PWM signal control.

Of course, you can force it to run slower with a controller though.

What? that cant be right, because I can change the fans behavior in the bios, now when you say a thermistor do you mean something that's built into the fan or cpu?

What? that cant be right, because I can change the fans behavior in the bios, now when you say a thermistor do you mean something that's built into the fan or cpu?

A thermistor would typically be built into the fan and senses rising air temps and allows more juice to go to the fan motor. That would not necessarily preclude control from the bios as well if your motherboard has the ability to control 3 pin fans. Some motherboards will only control fans that have four wires through something called PWM.

Last edited:

Yes, just like trents stated above, there is a thermistor in the fan hub that controls the actual voltage of the motor based on temperature.

OK so that explains alot, it would make sense that the fan speed up would be late, because its pretty much running on the case temperature...

btw this cpu fan does have 4 pins.

So the only way out of that is an aftermarket heatsink/fan that's controlled by the Mobo alone I presume?

Even with the thermistor I think a four pin fan can be influenced by the motherboard bios fan profile it's just that it will be skewed from normal because of the thermistor latency. In other words, you would have two variables affecting fan speed instead of one or the other.

Back