• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx4170 bottleneck on crossfire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Windows disk score benchmarks any drive with a swap file on it..

I thought it was something like that although I did not know it for sure. I move my swap file onto the hdd off my SSD and saw lower scores once, so I figured to have to disable or move swap file back to SSD just to test WEI. It was not that important to me. Thanks for the heads up for real on the swap file thing.

RGone...ster.

try pulling out the second card from your x4 slot, upgrade to 12.11 beta drivers and see where you stand!

ok during the Windows experience with crossfire enabled i got 6.0 and i then disabled crossfire in AMD vision engine control center and i got 7.9 with one card. I also ran
3dmark11 and i got like 11000 so i know both cards are working its just frustrating that they wont work on the windows experience. so now i just have to figure out why my ssd is only getting 5.9 on windows experience

Asus 990FX Sabortooth R2.0
fx-8350
g.skill 1600Hz 16 GB
2x 7870 crossfire
h100 push/pull
corsair tx850
sandisk 64GB SSD
1Tb backup

Last edited:
its because u have 1 of your cards in x4

it will cut your graphics in half even with having 2 cards

i thought the sabertooth supported 2 cards in x16

I have both cards in x16 slots on the sabortooth board itvwas the ga-970a-ud3 that had the x4 slot

I have both cards in x16 slots on the sabortooth board itvwas the ga-970a-ud3 that had the x4 slot

I csnnot see your signature right now and neither can anyone else in the post above. Sig will not show if posting from Cellphone or the like. And the forum App does not make note that user is posting from cellphone. So we have to go all the way back to look at a post not sent from cellphone to see what the heck is in case.

I knew you moved to FX chipset board and had this PCIe slot arrangement >> PCI Express 2.0 x16 >> 3 (dual x16 or x16, x8, x8). The slot the video cards are in since they make a difference in whether the second card is seen as x16 or x8.

Ok sorry I didn't know about the Sig not showing when posted from a phone. I verified that both cards are located in x16 slots and both cards show the same drivers, I have run both cards individually and both cards will get 7.9 in the Windows experience. I think I'm at the point where I am giving up on Windows experience. As far as graphics go, I'm now just worried about my ssd getting a 5.9. What kind of benchmark test are there for hard drives? The ssd is only 1.5 months old.

Asus 990FX Sabortooth R2.0
fx-8350
g.skill 1600Hz 16 GB
2x 7870 crossfire
h100 push/pull
corsair tx850
sandisk 64GB SSD
1Tb backup

anyways no matter the configuration. after reading online and seeing SEVERAL other posts like this one. its safe to say that WEI does not utilize crossfire. the best thing to do to see if you have a bottleneck is get 3dmark vantage and compare your scores with similar systems, mainly just same cpu / graphic configurations.

RGone suggested i do this, and i was very satisfied with the results!

as far as the score with the ssd... are you sure its your boot drive and not your storage? my normal drives score a 5.9, and i get about a 25-30 second boot time from completely off.

There are a couple of things to deal with about SSD's and Win 7.
1. Is the O/S set to run 'trim'?
2. Is the SSD setup using AHCI?
3. Are you running back to back runs of WEI?
4. Is there a swap file on the HDD?
5. Does the SSD in question have Trim and g00d garbage collection?

I updated the Firmware on a much older OCZ SSD and if I run back to back AS SSD runs the second slows and the third even slower. Pretty well known fact. If I leave the drive mostly alone or not doing anything for a while, then Garbage Collection and Trim speed thngs again.

I would test drive with ATTO and AS SSD and see if it is close to the speeds it should be and stuff WEI.

Back