• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8150 Upgrade Questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I understand that the FX 8150 supports 1866. Any foreseen problems going from 8 to 16 gigs of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 2133?
Lastly my water cooling is a stock XSPC Rasa RS360 full kit, I just upgraded the fans before I left. Will my water kit even handle this CPU? If so any over clocking potential?
I just want to make sure I'm thinking about everything before I order. As I'm not home yet but will be pritty soon.

Frag

Hi Frag,

I know I'm new here, but I'm not a rookie to OC'ing... :D
I've had a few FX chips and your OC will depend alot on the VID of the chip you get (no way of knowing until intalled).
Low VID chips clock higher but run hot, higher VID chips will run cooler and generally clock a little better on ambient temps.
Reguardless, your cooling should get you stable in the 4.5-4.7 range with an average chip... :cool:

I can't speak for running 16gb, but if the RipJawX 2133 kit your talking about are these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231476
They run really well for me in a 2x4 kit, very stable @ 2230 9-11-10 with stock v's!

RipJawX_Stable.png

If you want to save a few $$$ don't be afraid to go with an 8120, my best FX is actually an 8120!
The only reason I'm running the 8150 is it runs a little cooler, but it only nets me ~50mhz in all reality... :p

BTW: Thanks for your service Bro! :thup:

Last edited:
Great to hear those Speeds. I will not need them all the time as I run Ubuntu for day to day tasks. Still Gaming in Windows (Unfortunately). But who doesn't love a great overclock if for nothing but bragging rights.
I can't speak for running 16gb, but if the RipJawX 2133 kit your talking about are these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231476
They run really well for me in a 2x4 kit, very stable @ 2230 9-11-10 with stock v's!
I will be running 16gb of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468

. . . I've had a few FX chips and your OC will depend alot on the VID of the chip you get (no way of knowing until intalled).
Low VID chips clock higher but run hot, higher VID chips will run cooler but may not clock quite as well on ambient temps . . .

So let me ask a question here for my own enlightenment because what you say here may be something I've been ignorant about but it occurs to me I may have read in another post recently that kind of went over my head at the time. Are you saying that the same model CPU, e.g. an FX 8150 or a Phenom II X4 955, may be assigned a different VID from one production one to the next? In other words, two C3 PII 955 Boxed retail CPUs may have different VIDs from the factory?

Last edited:
Yes and they have the same part number. Intel does it too since I have had E8400's that had different voltages on the outside of the box for the same part number. Catching such for real takes having multiple cpus laying around as I once did a few years ago.

I see! Well, I haven't had the occasion to use the same model CPU enough times over to be able to discover that I guess. I love this forum. Always something new to learn.

This variable VID raises other questions for me. I would have thought variations in VID would account for why the manufacturer markets for example, the CPU as an FX 8120 vs an FX 8150. Why does the VID vary so much within the same model? Quality of the silicone batch used from one run to the next? Variables in the manufacturing process? Are the CPUs individually tested before they leave the factory to determine whether they are given a VID of 1.325 vs. 1.425 for the same model or can they tell that before hand according to an assay of the quality of the silicone or something else?

I first noticed this a few years ago when my wife bought a new computer. She didn't want much and found a great sale at Bestbuy for a HP computer. We liked to so much that we got another and turned it in to a HTPC. Her old computer is now my CentOS box. Had to rebuild as both mobo's blew at the same time. While rebuilding I found this to be true, looked it up and actually confirmed it with that exact post :cool: The one we bought at the later date, I can always get a little higher of a OC out of. Of coarse they are locked CPU's so its not much but still.

I find it interesting that one poster said they change the VID to compensate for leakage to keep the TDP the same. Sounds plausible anyway.

^^ I believe this to be the case...

Sorry for going OT, but I made a correction to my original post.
In general, higher VID chips will clock better on ambient, not worse (due to heat).

My 8120 has a VID of 1.2375 and will hit 5.4 Ghz on cold air, but on ambient, temps become a problem (leaky ?) and the chip maxes stable ~4.7.

My 8150 otoh has a VID of 1.325 and runs stable @ 4.75 ambient (runs cooler).

Me thunk you might have it a little reversed, but you got us straight now. Thanks.

^^ I believe this to be the case...

Sorry for going OT, but I made a correction to my original post.
In general, higher VID chips will clock better on ambient, not worse (due to heat).

My 8120 has a VID of 1.2375 and will hit 5.4 Ghz on cold air, but on ambient, temps become a problem (leaky ?) and the chip maxes stable ~4.7.

My 8150 otoh has a VID of 1.325 and runs stable @ 4.75 ambient (runs cooler).

Back