• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE G.Skill Overclocks DDR5 to 10000MHz on Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Capture-Cropped-5.jpg
G.Skill is a company that is not afraid to flex its overclocking muscle. In fact, their DDR5-8000 memory kit was recently overclocked to a crazy 10,000Mhz. They paired the RAM with an ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX motherboard and Intel i9-13900K CPU to reach this insane accomplishment, and they did it on traditional air cooling. Trident Z5 memory is fitted with SK Hynix ICs which aid in providing maximum overclocking potential. What is also impressive about the Trident Z5 DDR5-8000 is it features a CAS Latency of only 40: The DDR5-7800 latency is also very low at just 38ms. For further details, please refer to G.Skill's press release below.
Click here to read more!

Makes you wonder how they are making 4000mhz leaps in about 1 month? .. holding back ?

Hard to argue 6000mhz being a sweet spot when 4000mhz is up for grabs at similar latency's.

I wonder is this is bench stable or 24/7 daily stable if its the latter AMD really needs to work on their MC's

O.M.G.

yeah, definitely waiting for a wee bit til CPU devs get their DDR5 act together... IF intel 14th gen or AMD 8000+ CPUs' MCs officially support 8000+, THEN i'll consider them.

^^ This. Think I'll wait for affordable doubling over DDR4 bandwidth with reasonable latencies and price. DDR5 in the 7200-8000 range in the mid-life cycle of the generation sounds about right.

I think the difference, performance-wise, is small (thinking current DDR5-6000 CL30 sweet spot vs. 72/8000) that jumping on now or later won't make a significant difference unless you're posting results at the 'bot (a couple of percent here and there). You will, however, save some money (although DDR5 is more reasonable now than ever before).

Isn't 6000 just the sweet spot for AM5 at present? Or is it a board limitation? Seems like the Intel CPUs have more headroom for ram OC on DDR5.

Isn't 6000 just the sweet spot for AM5 at present? Or is it a board limitation? Seems like the Intel CPUs have more headroom for ram OC on DDR5.
AMD literally said it, yes. I'd imagine we'll see increases in memory speed with AMD as the platform matures, but more with the next-gen CPU and 'refreshed' X670/B650 boards.

But for a sweet spot, I'm talking more about the price and performance of the kits. Intel seems to have more headroom in Raptor Lake and Z790, indeed.

Back