• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G3258 + MSI Z97 SLI KRAIT failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Probably because it worked fine for them...

While there are shill reviewers out there, most have integrity and would report on trouble. Particularly with major trouble like this. Being a reviewer myself this was disconcerting to read.

Sowderman, try rolling back a bios version. As far as idle temps, that sounds fine, but seeing as how we have no idea of your cooler, ambient temps, case airflow, we can only.guess. if your troubles continue, you will likely want to start your own thread for the best help. :)

Hah, I was just trolling you a bit, I noticed that processor run warmer then what I expected but they have a much higher threshold it seemed, I noticed a large temp difference between cores as well, seems normal for that cpu.. ^^ I agree try different version of bios and use manual changes in bios before the auto tune, I used mine only to trouble shoot sounds like you did the same?

That's not appreciated... most of us work hard at what we do to bring you guys facts regardless of the outcome.

There is always a temp difference between cores. It's not only this cpu though. I've seen bigger differences on other cpus. :)

Hey,

Well I just changed from a AMD FX6300 and ASUS board on water to a MSI Z97 SLI KRAIT and G3258 20th edition because I picked up some GPU's I planned to run in SLI and my AMD boards chipset wouldn't fire two cards in SLI so after hearing so much about Intel's G3258 running with the FX6300 and essentially Intels only CPU offering that isn't a complete ripoff in my opinion. I decided to switch from AMD all together (which I am kicking myself majorly now for doing) And I am having major problems I am hoping someone can help with before I try to return the MOBO and I guess use the CPU as a paper weight. My problem is in the over clocking, basically a simple break down of what is going on, If I use OC Genie it will boot and throw a BSOD before I see the windows start bar (I tried OC Genie after messing with manual OC settings) and the other problem is simple, if I manually adjust the CPU ratio, ring, voltages or anything and reboot it will fail to boot, and I have to pull the GPU's and clear the CMOS often I have to clear the CMOS several times before it even gets me back to get into the bios, THE ONLY overclock I was able to boot windows in was a CPU ratio of 43 and Vcore voltage set to auto, when it finally booted I pulled up CPUID and my Vcore was at nearly 1.4v OMFG, so I shut down and loaded defaults does anyone know wtf is wrong here? I am very up set at this point, I have basically sworn off MSI as garbage and plan to sell both of my GPU's in spite at this point once I get rid of this board, I don't know what I am doing here, I was running my FX6300 at 4.8ghz no problem and I cant even get .1ghz out of this board? I dont think the chip is the problem either??

Setup
Corsair AX760i
SP SSD 128's X2
WD 1TB HDD
Intel G3258
MSI Z97 SLI KRAIT
MSI GTX670 X2
Win 7 if that makes any difference
Corsair Vengeance 16 gig 4*4sticks

Corsair H100i on the CPU

I have this setup and it's doing the same thing. When I update the Bios from A.20 to A.30 it started working again. Then started acting up again. Kinda odd. Customer Service isn't open until tomorrow so that's who I will be calling. At least I'm not the only one.

I have this setup and it's doing the same thing. When I update the Bios from A.20 to A.30 it started working again. Then started acting up again. Kinda odd. Customer Service isn't open until tomorrow so that's who I will be calling. At least I'm not the only one.

Good luck, my experience with them wasn't great, I hope yours goes better. I went back to ASUS ch-z and fx 6300 running 4.9ghz on 6 cores so I am a happy camper again, I am planning on getting a i7-5820k here shortly and it will be on a ASUS board. I listed my MSI cards up for sale too, I still have them, but hoping to see them gone as well, With the CH-Z I can run SLI of course and its actually comical how bad MSi is as a whole, at first I thought it was my bad experience, but just a little searching and you find SOOO many complaints. For my other MSi experience, I got a set of GTX 670's to replace my single R9 280 as the GTX 670's are supposed to be pretty much the same in performance sometimes leaning in game to the nvidia part, any ways I picked up 2 MSi GTX 670 PE OC's right before I got the for-mentioned MSi board, now that I have them running in SLI its a let down to say the least, and I am certain this is a MSi fault and nothing more. There are simply too many reviews and bench's that state the 670 - r9 280 as comparable, But I went from (BF4 game) 60-80fps on high settings with a single r9 280 to getting 30-70 on medium with some settings turned to low with the MSi's in SLI with both GPU's at 99% utilization (not to mention the insane heat these put out with zero overclock), Ive pretty much came to the thought that the people that think these guys (MSi) are good have simply not used others, I mean yeah if those two 670's were my first GPU's Id be like "MSi is the greatest" yada yada, but that's just simply not the case, and there are a lot of people saying the same. Sounds like you found out first hand, I just imagine the reviewers are getting pretested superb samples, its just funny a huge percent of end users have problems and reviewers never do... I am sure some will say its user error or lack of experience, but that's just simply not the case..

I just imagine the reviewers are getting pretested superb samples, its just funny a huge percent of end users have problems and reviewers never do... I am sure some will say its user error or lack of experience, but that's just simply not the case..
We can only report what we experienced when we have the board in our hands...

I'm not sure about these low end Krait's, but my experience with MSI has been fine on the midrange and higher end overclocking boards.

Outside of that, I surely would not have bought 670's and SLI'd them with their 'meager' 2GB of vram that will choke on some titles at 1080p...

Part of the reason for your SLI woes is the AMD CPU driving them. They just don't allow multiple cards to stretch their legs like an Intel CPU can.

For the record, I can google any board/card/etc and find bad things about them. Terribly sorry you had issues regardless. But I highly doubt dozens of reviewers are getting cherry picked parts...seriously.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about these low end Krait's, but my experience with MSI has been fine on the midrange and higher end overclocking boards.

I know some people hate, this, but +1, and this is from a non-reviewer who has used products from a wide number of manufacturers, so MSI was never my "first" anything. The MSI boards in both my desktop and lanbox have been going strong for years. I've had two MSI graphics cards that worked well. I've had to RMA an old MSI netbook once, and it was my best RMA experience (even better than my Gigabyte RMA, which some claim has the Holy Grail of customer service), and is one of the reasons I've picked up another MSI laptop.

If you go looking for problems with a manufacturer, you will always find them. But defects do happen, and comparing graphics cards several generations old to a new one with more RAM doesn't prove a thing.

plenty of AMD CPUs running mutli GPU setups out there, besides if CPU is running at 70% usage and both GPU's are at 99% I don't see where you are coming from here.

We can only report what we experienced when we have the board in our hands...

Outside of that, I surely would not have bought 670's and SLI'd them with their 'meager' 2GB of vram that will choke on some titles at 1080p...

Part of the reason for your SLI woes is the AMD CPU driving them. They just don't allow multiple cards to stretch their legs like an Intel CPU can.

For the record, I can google any board/card/etc and find bad things about them. Terribly sorry you had issues regardless. But I highly doubt dozens of reviewers are getting cherry picked parts...seriously.

Totally not my intent. Apologies if it came out that way. :)

You were questioning performance, and there is a difference, in the case I linked, some 20-30% worth at the same clockspeed...so I thought that may be part of the issue. The last thing I want is a pissing match, but those results do tell a story nonetheless.

EDIT: One more thing... that 2GB of vram on the 670. At 1080p default Ultra settings, it will use over 2.5GB ( I know you mentioned you turned it down). So perhaps that is also a part of the problem? Can you check your vram use in MSI AB and see if you are hitting 2GB?

Last edited:
Really? I guess it

Good luck, my experience with them wasn't great, I hope yours goes better. I went back to ASUS ch-z and fx 6300 running 4.9ghz on 6 cores so I am a happy camper again, I am planning on getting a i7-5820k here shortly and it will be on a ASUS board. I listed my MSI cards up for sale too, I still have them, but hoping to see them gone as well, With the CH-Z I can run SLI of course and its actually comical how bad MSi is as a whole, at first I thought it was my bad experience, but just a little searching and you find SOOO many complaints. For my other MSi experience, I got a set of GTX 670's to replace my single R9 280 as the GTX 670's are supposed to be pretty much the same in performance sometimes leaning in game to the nvidia part, any ways I picked up 2 MSi GTX 670 PE OC's right before I got the for-mentioned MSi board, now that I have them running in SLI its a let down to say the least, and I am certain this is a MSi fault and nothing more. There are simply too many reviews and bench's that state the 670 - r9 280 as comparable, But I went from (BF4 game) 60-80fps on high settings with a single r9 280 to getting 30-70 on medium with some settings turned to low with the MSi's in SLI with both GPU's at 99% utilization (not to mention the insane heat these put out with zero overclock), Ive pretty much came to the thought that the people that think these guys (MSi) are good have simply not used others, I mean yeah if those two 670's were my first GPU's Id be like "MSi is the greatest" yada yada, but that's just simply not the case, and there are a lot of people saying the same. Sounds like you found out first hand, I just imagine the reviewers are getting pretested superb samples, its just funny a huge percent of end users have problems and reviewers never do... I am sure some will say its user error or lack of experience, but that's just simply not the case..

I'll admit that the MSI quality is not at the Asus level in workmanship. (I hear very terrible things about Asus Customer Support and MSI's is Awesome) But Intel kills AMD in performance. I had the Sabertooth 990fx with the FX-6350 and had multiple issues with freezing. After replacing every product except the CPU and Mobo I switched to Intel and stopped seeing all of the issues I had before. Now of course you will see major performance differences with the 6 core processor you had to the 2 core processor you switched to.
PS-They fixed the reboot problems with the Bios, no more issues with it overclocking, saving and rebooting like it did.

I'll admit that the MSI quality is not at the Asus level in workmanship. (I hear very terrible things about Asus Customer Support and MSI's is Awesome) But Intel kills AMD in performance. I had the Sabertooth 990fx with the FX-6350 and had multiple issues with freezing. After replacing every product except the CPU and Mobo I switched to Intel and stopped seeing all of the issues I had before. Now of course you will see major performance differences with the 6 core processor you had to the 2 core processor you switched to.
PS-They fixed the reboot problems with the Bios, no more issues with it overclocking, saving and rebooting like it did.

Glad you had a better experience then me, I cant speak for Asus Ive never had any problems with any of their products.. I know Intel is better in performance in most if not all fields except price. That doesn't mean AMD is crap or not capable, many happy users myself included, I plan to move to Intel simply because they have something to offer in performance beyond AMD's current offerings. But that of course comes at a price quite literally. AMD is ahead and behind the times its seems... I think as time goes by their current multi core processors will be better when more programs utilize several cores its just like they put all their "eggs" in the multi core basket and forgot about single thread performance entirely, I hope AMD gets it together again as I will always be a customer when they have offerings for me, I will certainly switch to a Intel for the 2011v3 socket and z99 chipset withing the next month, possibly two. But that is simply the lack of AMD's offerings at the moment, I don't like Intel's method of business (their products are superb) at all which is why I wont ever be a die hard Intel guy regardless of product offerings

Back