• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G80 incredible but is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Immortal_Hero said:
G80 = NO OC!

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35244

I know this source is less than correct sometimes but thought we could dicuss? Anyone else heard this?

All that means is that NVidia is not allowing the companies (eVGA, BFG, Asus, etc) to overclock the cards and sell them that way as they have done previously. We'll still be able to overclock them on our own

In a way, i think it might be a good thing, I mean we all overclock them anyway, so getting one that's pre-overclocked really doesn't matter. BUT, since they can't market that their card is clocked higher, they will have to do other things to make them stand out. Perhaps a better cooler than everyone else, or some other feature (VIVO or something), etc.....so I think it'll be kinda good.

Also because of this nVidias partners cant partition off the good cores for the higher clocked cards like they do now. Meaning that now if you buy the cheapest 7900gt you less of a chance of getting as good of a core as a hand selected overclocked 7900gt.

With the g80 you can just buy the cheapest card and have as good of a chance of getting a good core as any other g80 card. This will make the market more focused on price which is always good for consumers.

god I hope I made sence there right now I am sick so I dont know how it turned out. If anyone wants me to reword it then its prob best that I do so.

No, it made sense, although I am sure companies like BFG and Gainward will be ****ed to high heaven when they cant make their extreme editions and super KO advanced super special elite force cherry bomb deluxe hyper spec kick butt versions that make their cards worth more.

My take on pre- oc'd cards is this: there's nothing wrong about a super whatever ko card, but the 'mid-oc'd' cards seem targeted at people who want something faster than stock, but aren't ready to dabble in oc'ing. I've had cards like that, and I've found that they don't oc too well past their in-box oc. I think that companies take a core that is nothing special, find an acceptable oc, and pitch it at buyers. But don't get me wrong, there are 'golden samples' that simply allow for an awesome OC, and if a manufacturer gets their hands on it and crank the core another 100mhz past stock, then super.

Back