• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA MA770-UD3 on a 300w PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cogman

This is for my friend because he is thinking of getting the same mobo as me but he only has a 300w psu, is this sufficient enough to run it? Thanks, pls reply asap.. he needs to know this by tomorrow.

What kind of 300w is also important power supplies are not assumed as equal just because the sticker says 300w.

If he's not changing anything else in the system then, yes, that's probably enough to give him the same performance he's getting now. I don't think the 770 chipset sucks down any more power than earlier chipsets, though there might be some extra power draw from other on-board components - you'll have to watch for that. If he's using standard audio now and starts using HD audio on the new board, that could be a problem. If he starts using more USB slots or adds another HDD, that could be a problem. Even adding a fan could be enough of a draw to make a difference. 300 watts is pretty low for any modern system but with few extras and no OC it might be enough.

That being said, everyone else's comments are very pertinent. Power supply quality is more important than the published wattage. Other components and their use will also dictate how much power is required. In my opinion (and I run everything from s939 through an AM2+ 940BE) a 300W PSU is really pushing the lower limit ...

i own the motherboard in question and from personal experiance i would not use a 300 wat psu for example if u go here >

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

even with some of the lowest components selected for a modest low budget system the power draw at 100% load is 241 watts, you also have to consider that over time your power supply will start to wear down and u wouldnt be leaving the system with any head room for any decent graphics cards of today or quad cores etc.

i would recommend getting at least a 500-650 watt power supply to be safe when up grading and future proofing. heck from the sound of it depending on the components used u could easily get away with a 450watt power supply and all those are dirt cheap these days i picked up my BFG 550watt at newegg.com for $54.00 if money is a problem its defiantly worth saving a few extra bucks and get something that will last awhile. dont want to be the guy at the lan party with sparks flowing from the power supply lol just my 2 cents man :)

gonna add this just in case u didnt know, but u can also stop by this site for some very good PS advice

http://www.jonnyguru.com

Back