• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GALAX GeForce RTX 4060 EX White

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

2023-07-11 14_03_55-guru3d.com.png

I'm honestly not knocking on the product, seems to be inline or better than the other 4060s, but am I the only one that looks at it and the 1st thing that comes to mind is "toy", or "Chinese/Waifu knockoff" :facepalm:

I'm honestly not knocking on the product, seems to be inline or better than the other 4060s, but am I the only one that looks at it and the 1st thing that comes to mind is "toy", or "Chinese/Waifu knockoff" :facepalm:

I guess it's because most cards in white with RGB look like this. Check ASUS or anything else. It's really not much better with pinkish LEDs. I like how Intel graphics cards look, or Nvidia FE. Simple and not toyish.
This Galax shroud is similar to what some other brands have. MSI looks similar but has its dragon logo here and there.
Btw. everything is Chinese. It's either made in China or designed somewhere else and still made in China ;) Like all those German engineering labels, and made in China next to it :)

I was expecting that with 115W TDP, we would see many more ITX-size and good-looking cards. Somehow, we see cheap-looking 240-250mm coolers installed on a 170mm PCB.

I don't get why manufacturers are making all these white products these days. Yes white builds were a big thing but that was years ago. Better late than never?

Also if you're going to make white then make it white, not half white and half black.

It's still a thing... especially overseas/asia. CES still had a lot of white builds this year. White builds aren't my thing, but there are some seshy ones out there.

Not even the white build thing, I've seen plenty white GPUs that look fine, as good or almost as good as the standard (not really a white motif fan), but for some reason this particular model just screams "fake", the lighting is very good, but looks like something you would pick up on eBay/Amazon pretending to be a Nvidia card 😅

I don't get why manufacturers are making all these white products these days. Yes white builds were a big thing but that was years ago. Better late than never?

Also if you're going to make white then make it white, not half white and half black.

I wouldn't say that white builds were a thing years ago, simply because years ago you could barely buy any other motherboard than black with various other additions. Graphics cards were almost impossible to get in white. White RAM was also hard to get. The same most other components. You could buy a white PC case, but inside was a mix of whatever was available.

Right now there are people who wish to build a white PC and I agree with one thing ... white, not half white and half whatever is available (usually black). I wanted to build SSUPD PC with all white components (more like a review thing than a daily driver), but I won't spend $500 on a graphics card only so it match other things inside, especially when the case has no windows. What I noticed then is that barely any watercooling manufacturer has white CPU or GPU blocks, barely anyone has white tubes or fittings. In the end you have to buy black or silver cooling components as there are no other options. Alphacool recently released white Core 1 CPU block. They also have white soft tubes, but brands like EK don't have white fittings or tubes and they just now add white CPU blocks to their offer.

If you dig some more on the Asian market then white is nothing unusual. There are pink, purple or special edition cards with some anime characters. The same some PC cases released for Asian market are available in some other versions. I can't find anything better than Colorful bilibili edition right now, so here it is - https://en.colorful.cn/en/home/product?mid=102&id=1875
Even ADATA Mera Edition that I reviewed a white ago isn't available in the US/EU (in the same price is a regular version, which has the same under the heatsinks). I asked for this specific memory kit for Overclockers review mainly because of the design as I already knew what was under heatsinks :)

The white was around. I admit I had one a few years back but now its just ugly to me. To get the pieces it took some time and extra money but they were out there. For the most part they weren't top end stuff, it was more for aesthetics. Geil had the white ram (dragon I think) and Asus had a version of the Sabertooth motherboard which looked fantastic. For cooling I just used barbs and painted my radiators to match. You are right about the GPU though, I could never find one to match everything which was very annoying.

Once RGB started it killed off the color game though. I kind of wish RGB never became a thing because companies just jumped into that and stopped customizing their products.

RGB pushed sales in some way as there were no better ideas to refresh products, and they have to sell something. Users are still divided, but I see that most overclockers and enthusiasts like simple, clean and professional looking products. Sadly, they're like 1% users, so who cares about them when manufacturers can make something cheaper with a higher margin. Manufacturers could still make it much better, not call it a gaming product because there is RGB on everything. Most brands are using pretty cheap plastic covers with holes where are single RGB LEDs, or use transparent plastic. Even top ASUS motherboards on pictures look well, but when you get the product, then you see how cheap they made it. I could say that the RGB often covers a cheap design.
I like how Gigabyte designs some motherboards with large heatsinks covering most PCB, and maybe RGB, but not too flashy and still well-looking. ASUS went the wrong way in the last generation. I also have no idea what MSI is doing as some of their motherboards look well, some look like toys. They didn't release any OC series products with the latest chipsets. ASRock with each generation looks worse. I dislike their motherboard and graphics card designs. I used to like them, but not anymore. They made changes in some departments and it looks like not for better. EVGA had some nice motherboards and graphics cards, but hard to say if they stay on the market. Their motherboards were nearly impossible to get in the EU, so I won't really cry if they disappear, especially now when they don't even have graphics cards.

I made one white/Intel PC and one black/AMD PC for tests/reviews. Even though it was in the last few months, I had a hard time finding white fittings and tubes, or even other components that would be available like radiators (sounds easy to get, but in every online store it was sold-out). Also CPU blocks were unavailable, but I wanted to reuse what I had. I posted the white one in another thread and it will be in some future RAM reviews (two white DDR5 will be reviewed soon, hopefully) - https://www.overclockers.com/forums...your-leet-system.592619/page-175#post-8194265 Once I finished it, Alphacool released white CPU block, and white tubes back in stock in their store (all other brands discontinued a while ago). It's too much work to drain the loop and replace tubes. Black look well, so I won't change it for now.
You can see that almost every brand which is releasing white motherboards is using silver heatsinks, and never white. White are plastic covers/shrouds. Most brands are not even using white PCB, but try to cover everything with plastic or heatsinks. Even if the motherboard is white, then most of connectors are black anyway. The same most PSU cables, even if white, then have black connectors. You could say that with so many brands and available components everything is easy now, but in reality it's hard to build a PC with everything white.
A few months ago I reviewed Hyte Y40 case. In the comments to previously released Y60 were a lot of requests to make everything white, as people dislike white/black or almost whole black with white stripes (called the white version). So the new case was released and it's white/black, but mainly black. It's like people who design that, don't even use PC or hear the community or they wouldn't make mistakes like that. These products are for a narrow group of enthusiasts and gamers, so I don't get how they can make so many mistakes in already corrected products. Instead of the whole white, red or whatever case, Hyte released the same "old" cases with anime stickers on windows, called special edition. Exactly the same is with SSUPD and their last products. Corrected multiple times and still wrong.

A lot of text, so I doubt anyone will read everything ;)

Last edited:
I read it. :) I 100% agree with your comments on the newer motherboards. I've been an Asus loyalist for years but their boards are getting too gimmicky with all the plastic "armor" and leds/rgb. Plus its starting to get in the way on some of my builds. Maybe next round I'll try gigabyte again but after my last software fiasco with them they've got some work to do.

I would really like to see some of these manufacturers release stripped style boards that allow users to design their own. Almost like a custom style with the good internals but none of the rgb/armor/etc. I'm sure they would find a way to charge more for less stuff but it would be nice. They could then sell many colors of the heatsinks and all that or let people buy their own.

I guess it's too high cost to sell separated heatsinks and other things. Most brands replace mobo revisions or discontinue some models in 6-8 months, so they would lose a lot of money selling components for their components. It's just how I see it. I wish they released something like you said, but I can't see it happening just because of how fast chipsets and sockets are changing. In this year will be 14th Intel gen (lucky for us the same socket), but expected are new motherboards, even though everything should still work on 600 series chipsets. The same with AMD, but I guess that AM5 will live longer and there won't be so many new motherboards. There are fewer motherboard models with 700 series chipsets than with 600. Brands like ASRock or MSI are not releasing their OC/enthusiast series, with maybe one exception, MSI Godlike, but I'm not sure if I should count it as OC series, enthusiast for sure. New MSI Tomahawk and Carbon look good. Simple and black and nothing really flashy. There were no MSI Unify, ASRock Aqua, OC Formula or anything similar. ASUS released Apex, Gigabyte has Tachyon and EVGA has Dark KP. That will be all. Apex wasn't available for 3 months, Tachyon is hard to get anywhere and Dark KP is not available outside of US (and I think not even in the US right now).
Btw. I have no idea why but I had that weird impulse and I got Ryzen delidding tool. Now I wonder if I have any cooler that will work with delidded AMD 7k. We will find out soon, but maybe not today.

Back