• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

games for my 6 year old. like doom original

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

My 6 year son has been playing bloons TD6, world of goo, and other puzzle and tower defense games for a while now. He watched me play Deep Rock Galactic and now he is playing Deep Rock with my guidance. Definitely having trouble reaching WASD and space bar plus all the other buttons. I am thinking a more simple shooter game like original doom would work well. But maybe find something a little less mother aneurism inducing.

I first started playing doom at about this age though.........

When I finally weened my girls off Roblox, I started them on Portal and the Hello Neighbor games, both have a really good mix of puzzle solving with platform hopping for brain development/reflexes. Was thinking about introducing them to Dungeons & Dragons and Magic the Gathering when they got a little bit older, but they found social media 1st and gave up almost all gaming 😡

Portal is a great choice.

I got vampire survivors on Steam for a few bucks and it is addictive and fun, I played it a good amount and unlocked/upgraded a lot of the stats and guys and my boys (5 and 8) can play through entire 30 minute runs [the run essentially ends at 30 minutes].

Pokemon games are good, they are a good intro for reading as well.

Tunic has an invincible setting that makes it not as punishing.

Going through my Steam library trying to think of things reasonably kid friendly.

Baba is You might work - fairly straight forward at first but can get tricky quick, could help with problem solving.

There are some DC-era older but still good Sega games, like Sonic Adventures.

Antichamber might work but it's been a while since I played it.

Just thought, what about the Lego games? Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel super heroes/villains, etc. Tons of choices and all pretty similar in the general gameplay.

One thing I've learned since getting my kids into gaming, kids today do not like games from when we were kids lol they are too simple and.... "OLD". I've resorted to playing Roblox with them on occasion and I get them to play Warzone and Fortnite with me on occasion (ages 6 9 and 14) they are all rocking gtx 970's but they get along in almost everything.

My oldest boy started off by playing my games while I was at work when he was about 4 or so.. he is 10 now. He really likes Roblox, he used to play hello neighbor, and then the MP version. Lets see.. He likes Minecraft, Garys Mod, GTAV, WatchDogs, he likes Parkour stuff.. and of course the Mario games we have on the Switch. We have a PS4 and Xbox One S full of games but no one plays them. I gotta dig into the PS4 and give its very first cleaning.

My youngest boy likes to play things like BeamNG, Forza 5, and of course.. Roblox. He also enjoys Minecraft as he looooves to build me houses :D

Such a good boy :)

I don't let him play GTA like his mother let his brother do :bang head

One thing I've learned since getting my kids into gaming, kids today do not like games from when we were kids lol they are too simple and.... "OLD". I've resorted to playing Roblox with them on occasion and I get them to play Warzone and Fortnite with me on occasion (ages 6 9 and 14) they are all rocking gtx 970's but they get along in almost everything.

"Old" I can understand, but simple?

I've watched Fortnite streams, and would love to see a side-by-side comparison of OG UT :D

"Old" I can understand, but simple?

I've watched Fortnite streams, and would love to see a side-by-side comparison of OG UT :D
Spoken like a true old person lol, Unreal Tournament is as simple as it gets all you do is run around in a box and point and shoot other players, there's nothing complex about it, not to mention the graphics are terrible, kids today are used to better graphics.

Fortnite has a lot of complexity in comparison, building obviously right out of the gate, but building and upgrading weapons on the fly, things to unlock, a sense of urgency from the poison cloud coming in, a goal to be the last person alive instead of just blasting everything that moves inside a square building.

Games today have a LOT more going on in them. There is no denying old games are.... simple.

Spoken like a true old person lol, Unreal Tournament is as simple as it gets all you do is run around in a box and point and shoot other players, there's nothing complex about it, not to mention the graphics are terrible, kids today are used to better graphics.

Fortnite has a lot of complexity in comparison, building obviously right out of the gate, but building and upgrading weapons on the fly, things to unlock, a sense of urgency from the poison cloud coming in, a goal to be the last person alive instead of just blasting everything that moves inside a square building.

Games today have a LOT more going on in them. There is no denying old games are.... simple.

Tell me you never played UT without telling me you never played UT. "All yo do is run around a box" can be said about pretty much any shooter in the past few decades, even Fortnite.

The difference between UT and Fortnite is the difference between chess and checkers. They may use the same board (running around in a box) though the difference between boxes is night and day), and the concept of 'building' that Fornite introduced was game-changing in the BRoyale, or frankly, any genre. You may be good at shooting in Fortnite, but unless you're playing in the new(ish) No-Build mode, if you can't 'crank 90s' and 'edit builds in a blur', you're at a tremendous disadvantage from an overwhelming majority of the player base. UT/Doom and other quick-twitch shooters (jump and shoot rocket?) it's 'just' shooting skills. There isn't another element to the game and they are 'simple' compared to modern FPS/BRs.

IMO, there's no comparison between the skills you need to 'be good' in Fortnite versus UT... and this is coming from someone who made Doom maps in mid-90s and played UT as well as modern FPS and BRs.

Have to admit that sniping spawns literally from the other side of the map in UT was a guilty pleasure :chair:

Does Fortnite have advanced movement techniques like strafe jump/bunny hopping and such? I've never played it.

I think of TFC/Quake/UT type games as being about map knowledge, advanced movement, and timer memory for when power ups/weapons/etc respawn. But that's pretty standard for a lot of the whole Arena-shootet genre.

I mean, you can jump, strafe/move left and right, etc. But no double jump/bunny hop. It's complexity versus the old FPS games lay in building and editing builds. There's also bloom (random pattern for shots) which the previous games don't have any recoil. Skill ceiling is WAY higher, IMO, Fortnite.

Back