• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games Stopping w/High Heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JBRONCFAN

Registered
Seems my system is locking up, games shutting down and returning to Windows after playing for 15 minutes. Temps go from 50 C at idle to 60 C. Specs are below. Have my AMDXP 2100 running at 2.17, shows up as a 2700. Had to bump the core and ddr voltage up to keep it stable. Is there anything I can do before I have to kick back my overclocking?

Maybe apply some fresh artic silver 5 or maybe make sure all your cables are organized and not restricting airflow. Get a can of air and make sure your HS isnt full of dust....

thats all i can think of that wont cost you anything...

You can pick up a new HS.

Usually the problem is an improperly mounted heatsink/fan; just isopropyl all the gunk off, and reapply paste and the hs/fan. Make sure you don't get dust/fingerprints on the contact surfaces, lift-then-put-back-on, or put too much paste.

Lap your heatsink if you're hardcore :)

If you have a case from a prebuilt computer, it could be strangling airflow through the case.

I built my rig from scratch. Been running solid now for 2 years.

Vcore stock voltage is I believe 1.625, I have it at 1.725. DDR is stock, 2.5, I have it at 2.6. Didn't touch AGP voltage.

What about my aperature size? It's at stock 64mb but someone here recommended making it 1/4 of your system's total ram. So they recommend an aperature size of 256. Would it help changing my aperature size from the stock 64mb to 256mb?

I just had that kind of problem, I upped the critical temp in the bios and took .04 Mhz off the CPU. Now it doesn't lock up or restart from heating problems.

60c is pushing it in the overclocking world. Have you tested your overclock overnight or so with prime95 to see if it causes errors? Because right now you don't know whether it's a cpu or gpu problem. If your cpu is getting that hot, it's possible the gpu is getting too hot also and causing the problem. Is your case flow ok?

What heat sink and fan are you using? Unless you have REALLY poor airflow in your case, 50c idle is pretty bad.

JBRONCFAN said:
I built my rig from scratch. Been running solid now for 2 years.

Vcore stock voltage is I believe 1.625, I have it at 1.725. DDR is stock, 2.5, I have it at 2.6. Didn't touch AGP voltage.

What about my aperature size? It's at stock 64mb but someone here recommended making it 1/4 of your system's total ram. So they recommend an aperature size of 256. Would it help changing my aperature size from the stock 64mb to 256mb?

isnt aperature size related to your videocard ???!?!

GM1010 said:
...Unless you have REALLY poor airflow in your case, 50c idle is pretty bad.

Agreed. And 60c probably isn't enough to crash your comp to desktop, but it is too hot. Your Vcore should be plenty for 2.17, same w/ your PSU.

What's your current FSB?

Set your AGP aperture to 128. That should be fine. It is possible that your GPU is getting too hot. Run the comp w/ the cover off for a bit. Monitor your CPU temps. If they come down and you're still having the problem, could be the vid card.

I think program crashes around 75-80C.

i was playing a game last night and it keep crashing. I was wondering why it keep crashing. Then i look to my right, look like i forgot to plug heatsink fan in and i restarted and go bios to look at temp it said it was at 84C!@!

"I just had that kind of problem, I upped the critical temp in the bios and took .04 Mhz off the CPU. Now it doesn't lock up or restart from heating problems."

Took it down from 166 to 150 fsb, knocked vcore voltage down from 1.750 to 1.7 and all is well. Instead of AMDXP 2700, shows up now as a 2400 but, windows isn't showing it's operating speed. You know when you right click My Computer>Properties it'll give system info??? Right after it lists the 1gig system ram, it doesn't list anything else. Usually, it would list the actual operating speed.

Anyway, I ran cpuz.exe and it showed my cpu now running at 1.950 which has me a little depressed since I o'c'd it over 2gigs. Believe it or not, seems like I slam around the internet almost as fast and after intense playing, no more crashes.

Is 50c at idle REALLY that bad?!?!?! Since 85c is the anti-burn cut off, didn't think it was THAT bad.

Is it possible since most of the system now is running at around the same exact speed i.e., there is no bottlenect now, that would actually help the system run faster? Even though I tuned it DOWN some?

My idle with a xp 3200+ with a well mounted SP-97 running a thermaltake Volcano fan is round 36c. Playing one game, Empire at War, it'll reboot randomly. BIOS will place the temp at like, 70c. Don't even have my board in a case right now (another story all together). I think it's tied to the graphics card really. That's prolly your issue as well.

Related story kinda. I had a trusty XP 2500+ barton that I bought once they hit store shelves in Japan with one of the first Coolermaster cooper heatpipe HSF's. Over the years it migrated to my wifes rig which she doesnt do anything but surf the net on. One day out of the blue I went to take a look at it and it was idling @ 60C!!! when the rig used to idle in the 45-49c range.

I modded 2 120mm 1200rpm fans into the case and cleaned and reapplied AS5 to the HSF (it had AS3 from the first time I installed it). The idle temps went down to 51c initially but a month later it was back up to the 60's.

I wasn't overclocking the chip at all after it went to be my wifes rig so it seemed really strange. A couple months later I got sick of seeing 60c idle and swapped out the mobo/cpu with my old P4 2.8 northwood. My wife immediately noticed her surfing area was definately cooler now.

Anyways, I was thinking there was a problem with the chip degrading over the years or something but didnt really care to research it. The mobo and CPU are collecting dust in my closet now.

Last edited:
Back