• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming in Tight Spaces: Mini-ITX (featuring Gigabyte, Silverstone, and Prolimatech)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mmmMM, I like the idea of two video cards in that small of a form factor. Yus. /cheer

Wish there was an ITX board that would fit 2x larger GPUs like 2x 460/470/480. That'd be awesome.

mmmMM, I like the idea of two video cards in that small of a form factor. Yus. /cheer

Wish there was an ITX board that would fit 2x larger GPUs like 2x 460/470/480. That'd be awesome.

That will never happen. ITX only supports 1 slot, with the possibility of the cases support an exhaust slot. So realistically micro-atx is your only option. What you're describing in fact is micro-atx.

That will never happen. ITX only supports 1 slot, with the possibility of the cases support an exhaust slot. So realistically micro-atx is your only option. What you're describing in fact is micro-atx.

Unless of course you got a dual GPU video card and a case that would fit it :thup:

Well go and burst my bubble. :p

Micro ATX is still plenty small. It's a good compromise. I personally wish we'd get a motherboard with a good layout and a case with 5 slots.

slot 1 -> PCI-E Sound card
slot 2 -> gpu 1
slot 3 -> gpu 1 heatsink
slot 4 -> gpu 2
slot 5 -> gpu 2 heatsink

I mean the only real way to make most boards these days work in any way similar is to go water cooled in a micro atx box.

Getting ready for the next upgrade. Playing around with some modling to verify my measurements. Looks like everything is going to fit perfect :)

My mini-ITX v2.0 parts list:
case - Silverstone SUGO SG05 (interior will be painted)
PSU - Silverstone 450W SFX (cables will be recut for fit and sleeved)
mobo - Gigabyte H55N-USB3
CPU - Intel i5 750 (aiming for 4.2GHz or more)
CPU cooling - Corsair H70 (with one 120x38mm 118CFM San-Ace)
memory - 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX3
graphics card - Gigabyte 5870 SOC (undervolted to 1.1V)
OS storage - 80GB Intel X25M SSD
games/media storage - 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive

Just waiting for the last few parts to arrive :)

front01.jpg

top01.jpg

right02.jpg

right01.jpg

rear01.jpg

left01.jpg

Great article and well worth the wait :clap:

Me too...

Is there a powerhouse mini ITX club?

Yeah, but the leader of the club is going to stick a mini-ITX board into an Antec mini-P180. :screwy:

Kirstie Allie is then going to be the spokesperson for Weight Watchers, and then Ron Wood is going to be the spokesperson for Botox injections.

Nice article miahallen

I used to have a love affair with Shuttle's SFF builds. I swung back to HUGE because of all the hard drive arrays I built and the much easier cooling of a CM full tower case.

I've been looking at the Shuttle SX58J3 but I don't know if it could handle a Gulftown and 2 GTX 460 cards though.
13.11" x 8.46" x 8.03"

Silverstone SUGO SG05 is over 2" shorter and 1" flatter and looks great. :thup:
10.87" x 8.74" x 6.93"

BTW: i5-750 vs i7-875K unlocked Processor

Would this unlocked processor have the same problems on your Gigabyte board?

Last edited:
Oh...NO NO NO....that was a Zotac issue....the Gigabyte board is fantastic. My 655K worked just fine in it :thup:

Back when I was in school in '99 for industrial design I got a student copy of Rhinocerous 3D....it's v1.0 :thup: http://www.rhino3d.com/

Still works well, but the rendering engine is single threaded so these renders took like 10 minutes each :( Still better than the Pentium 166 machines we used at school though :p

Read this a while back and never got around to commenting on it. I really like what was shown here I've always wanted a nice little gaming system but small and compact it's awesome to see that it can be made a reality.

Getting ready for the next upgrade. Playing around with some modling to verify my measurements. Looks like everything is going to fit perfect :)

My mini-ITX v2.0 parts list:
case - Silverstone SUGO SG05 (interior will be painted)
PSU - Silverstone 450W SFX (cables will be recut for fit and sleeved)
mobo - Gigabyte H55N-USB3
CPU - Intel i5 750 (aiming for 4.2GHz or more)
CPU cooling - Corsair H70 (with one 120x38mm 150CFM Delta)
memory - 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX3
graphics card - Gigabyte 5870 SOC (undervolted to 1.1V)
OS storage - 80GB Intel X25M SSD
games/media storage - 500GB Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive

OK, Almost all the parts have arrived, and I've done the cutting mods on the case today for a test fitting.......EVERYTHING FIT :D

:cool: teaser :cool:
P1010830.jpg

I ordered the wrong molex connectors and I'm waiting on the correct ones to arrive....then I'll strip down again and paint, and sleeve, and post my article....so it'll still be a couple more weeks. H70 testing under-way :thup:

Last edited:
Micro ATX is still plenty small. It's a good compromise. I personally wish we'd get a motherboard with a good layout and a case with 5 slots.

slot 1 -> PCI-E Sound card
slot 2 -> gpu 1
slot 3 -> gpu 1 heatsink
slot 4 -> gpu 2
slot 5 -> gpu 2 heatsink

I mean the only real way to make most boards these days work in any way similar is to go water cooled in a micro atx box.

Micro ATX motherboards are slightly smaller, in one dimension only. Micro-ATX cases however, are often not that much smaller than ATX. They still follow a traditional case design. The real space saving size of a mini-ITX comes with the design of the case like mounting the power supply on its end.

Back