• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gear Down Mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
OK so from reading disabling Gear Down Mode is beneficial, trying to get a CL15 setting on my ram. However every time I have disabled it on reboot my rig will not post requiring a bios reset to get it up and running again. am I missing something?

Last edited:
Maybe Pm Johan, BN. I've heard him mention gear down mode before. I really am no help, I haven't spent much time tinkering with my 1800x, since I bought it. I only put it in my main rig about 3 weeks ago. Then I fought with it for about a week, to get it running. It hated the Win 10 version, I was installing and it took me a while to figure that out. :D

From What I have read Gear down is an in between of CR1 and CR2 which cause the bios to load only even numbers for the ram timings. Also prevents you from getting the benefits of CR1 if your ram can run it. But I can't figure out why it is causing me to hang on reboot. I remember him mentioning it somewhere but I can't find it.

You didn't need to do that ..... there's no rush on this.

Have you tried just setting GD to disabled from default? Could be something with the previous mem settings that doesn't like the change. You're right for odd CL above 2933 it has to be disabled.

Yes I have set GD to disabled ….. it just reboots and sits there requiring a CMOS reset. This has done this on both my ASUS TUFF and now the Tiachi. I have to be missing something.

Not the first time I have heard of this. Could be BIOS version or that RAM just won't do it. Personally never had that problem but I would start with a different BIOS and not necessarily the latest. I've had a good run on my CHVI and a 2600 with the very first official ZEN+ BIOS. You have a first Gen so might work better with an older one. IMO there haven't been enough gains in memory over the last couple of AGESA releases to make an update worthwhile.

Yes was gonna upgrade my board but didn't see the point with RYZEN 2 coming out in a few months. Both sets of ram are Trident Z RGB 1st 3000 CL15 …. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232475 and 2nd 3600 CL18 AMD Series …. https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232728. Both of these are Hynix IC. With Latest Bios they will run at JDEC 3600 CL18 without an OC but once I up my CPU multi not, kinda expected that. Im down at 3200 now maybe I'll try to up it to 3400 and see if I can get it stable.

OK so 3400 ran ...... not long, 15min as it is bed time. Maybe this is a better option then fidliing with 3200 on these sticks.

3400.png

Last edited:
Oh god no .... just saying I had the same issue with both.

@ bassnut have you try raising Ram voltage. to like 1.37 or 1.39. Had the same happen to me and this work for my G-skill.

I've raised the ram volts though not sure how high though. I will check when I get home.

Last edited:
Setting 1.4v on my DRAM solved the problem. I can now disable Power Down ode on my Asrock 370 iachi

bassnut which MB and Bios. On my X370 Beta 4.81, X470 1.35A. Maybe Agesa Timings. Great to hear your up and running.

I had this happen on both …. Asus TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING with the Trident 3000 ram linked above and also on my X370 Tiachi with Bios 5.10 which was just released with new AGESA 1.0.0.6. Allowed the TridentX 3600 listed above to run 3600 at stock clocks which was a step up from the 4.80. Now I didn't spend much time tweaking my OC I have extra VCore in my OC and just came in tonight and set 1.4v on my ram. I'll have a bit of time tomorrow, I think. Work just hasn't let me do anything this year.

OK so in the end I just needed a small increase in RAM volts from 1.375v to 1.38v was able to come down a bit. Same on VCore down now to 1.362v. We have guests over so not much time to look into anything else. Back to work tomorrow ….. the posties union is till playing games in the background so who knows what will happen, my guess is the working on the weekend is not over just yet.

Cheers …. thanks for the help.

Back