• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gears of War screwup makes PC version unplayable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

My first thought is WHY do they have a shut off time for PC users... what were they planning to do ?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-causes-title-to-shut-down-starting-today.ars

It seems that Gears of War came with a built-in shut off date: the digital certificate for the game was only good until January 28, 2009. Now that the game fails to work unless you adjust your system's clock, what's Epic's response? "We're working on it."

So what, they forgot they had implemeted it?

Gamers who tried to play Gears of War on the PC Thursday ran into a slight snag: it seems that the digital certificate that allows the game to run expired on January 28, 2009. Basically that means if you keep your PC's clock up to date, you can no longer play the game. The official Epic forum is ablaze with complaints about this issue, as the still-kicking community becomes enraged.

"I had this problem this evening, I had to change the date and time (from PM to AM) and I am able to get in just fine," one frustrated gamer posted. "I also changed it back to the current date and time and it didn't work. Change it back to yesterday AM and it works fine... EPIC games won't be on my list anytime soon...."

Ben Kuchera
EA sees losses, delays titles, shifts focus to Nintendo Wii
Dead Space is coming to the Nintendo Wii
Amazon moves into casual gaming in a very big way
EA gets rights to Bourne, gives Starbreeze the wheel
Epic Games is aware of the issue, but don't expect much hard news about what to do about the inability to play the game. "We have been notified of the issue and are working with Microsoft to get it resolved," a super moderator posted on the forum. "Sorry for any problems related to this. I'll post more once we have a resolution." (Microsoft is the publisher, and GoW is a Games for Windows release.)

Until then? You can either fiddle with your computer's clock or not play. Neither choice is much fun.

While it's not rare for games to ship with bugs every now and again, it's pretty shocking when one ships with an issue that causes the title to stop working.

Update Mark Rein has released a statement clarifying that GoW's anti-cheat technology is to blame for this issue, and not the game's DRM."

It happened to me too LOL!!! I'm not buying any Epic games anymore. The title is buggy as crap and barely works to begin with. And now this? I've never had this happen before in my life.

Wow I don't really play it anymore since the second game came out, but this is the typical foolishness that Epic has recently been involved in.

ya, seems like a very weird bug, whether it is DRM or anti-cheat, why would anti-cheat have a time bomb in it more or less...

Well, I have it, but i lost my activation key >.<

This is a very strange 'bug'... could nobody on the dev team have seen this coming? I bet somebody was lazy and didn't fix the anti-cheat system properly (if that is really where the problem lies)

If you see a game that says games for windows live then your best bet is to just avoid it because your going to get screwed eventually but that is a new definition for epic fail

My god its true!! i just tried it and it didn't work... set the clock back a few months and it works!!

What a piece of nonsense...

The question is whether you are violating the DMCA because you are bypassing the DRM.

lol games for windows lol.

I will admit when i see that on a pc game box. I usually avoid it or I debate till i drive myself mad deciding if i should take a chance on buying it.

What's the pc world coming to. Besides left 4 dead i been heading back to old games quake 3 era. When things were good. Guess that's one good thing i think pc will always have is two tons of mmorpgs, and tons of old games that still have plenty of players usually.

Because the way things are going i rarely trust buying anything for pc anymore lately nothing works right. Or has tons of bugs.

Interesting read folks thanks for posting this thread, i was considering buying a copy for the pc, and anticipating the 2nd installment for pc release. I already have it for the xbox, after your reviews I am not sure I will pick up a copy now haha.

I still need to get the 2nd gears of war for xbox, heck I still need to get an xbox 360 lol.

yes I have the collectors tin and hard cover book for gears of war and have yet to play it, I know cringe in my cubical haha. Its because of that dam world of warcraft, I blame them!!!

This is really inexcusable...I mean, come on. They forgot about this or what?

So sick of these shoddy PC ports. Either do it right or don't do it. I really don't understand the lack of give a damn it comes to porting these 360/PS3 games to PC.

ya it is lazyness, PC makers release games as finished, when in reality they are nothing more then beta's and we are the testers and we pay for this crap! and now consoles are becoming just as bad, why else would they give them all internet access, ya, for add-ons, no so they can patch rushed out games!

Back