• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte 880g vs asus m5a99xevo/990xaud3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rishidev

Registered
hello
i need help!
these are my basic specs....

phenomII 1090t
@ 3.4ghz (2cores) @ 1.075v cpu vid AND 1.175v cpu vcore.
gigabyte 880g usb 3 am3 socket(white) rev 1.0

gskill sniper 1600 mhz 9-9-9-24 default (1.25v version) 16 gb (4 slots) 4gbx4
running at 1333 mhz @ 7-7-7-21

gentoo linux
sabayon kde
ultimate edition 3.2
freebsd
quad boot in grub

now my problem is the ram doesnt work at default (1600mhz) after having tried a lot in the bios....
if someone has the same board 880 chipset and has been successful please help!

on the other hand will be buying the 990 chipset -- the above 2 models -- for future upgrades............can someone please tell me whether its worth it.

yes i am aware that the phenomII's imc will default to 1333 mhz once stressed but i know other beefier boards and chipset--990 series -- does pump the memory up.
whether or not this is accurate please help. any changes to NB etc.

On the other hand if someone has tried using 16gb 1600mhz or 32 gb 1600mhz on 990 chipsets with success please let me know. If unsuccessful please tell me whether its worth buying the 990 board with sata 6gbps (mine isnt) or if it will be better off if i buy a ssd for caching and just wait for piledriver and steamroller optimized stuff.

yes i need the extra ram...

My board is fantastic but just seems a bit old.

also my experience has concluded gigabyte quality is uncompromising. Their quality across all spectrum's stands to none. Their bios is old but thats no con.
where i stay power fluctuates and 4 asus boards blew up but nothing happened to gigabyte--after 4 years usage. Same with msi if it works it will complete the 10th year.
Asus boards longevity is not more than 5 for the high ends.
quality = longevity.

if im wrong and asus is worth the investment please do mention it.

If you don't care about running SLI then it could be worthwhile saving a few $ and getting a 970 based board instead. I don't EVER run more than 1x video card. My choice of PSU and mainboard reflects that.

I'd wait until your are ready to upgrade to BD before buying a new MB. There's nothing wrong with what you have now, even with the RAM not running at 1600. First, there really is no practical, noticeable speed difference. Second, AM3 (Thuban) HT transports are not design to run faster and won't benefit from a faster bus. Having said that, the additional RAM is always good.

Edit - I'm with you, I've always found Gigabyte to be great where as I haven't had a lot of luck with ASUS.

I'm running everything stock with my Thuban..... The only thing I got a performance increase with in overclocking was video encoding with Handbrake. Considering I don't do that very often there was no point to it.

I'm bypassing BD in favor of PD anyway.

Yes and PileDriver will come with a new 1XXX chipset for the later cpu. AMD brings a new chipset for the their new cpu while still claiming backwards compatibility, but we all seem fairly sure now that BD works better with 990 chipset even though the BD will work on some 890 boards. So if I had any real PD ambitions, I would wait for PD boards. There really seems no such thing as future-proofing.

Hmph, I was forced to replace my board when my old PSU died damaging my old mainboard and Corsair H100. I'm hoping my current board will run PD with just a BIOS update.

but should i or not???

thanks guys

so should i buy the 990 or not.....
yeah the 1090 chipsets i heard about too arent anything great
no pcie3
8 sata 3 ports
12 usb 2 ports
++ bonus stuff
yup thats it..

Im rooting for 990xa ud3 as im getting a decent deal. im lured but dont care for uefi bios.

i was thinking that i buy the ud3 board and upgrade to piledriver next and give the 880 board with 1090t to sis..

wat do u think guys...

You're wrong. Want IS need ;p

If you are running stock, an M5A97 should be enough. If you are pushing OCs, I would recommend the M5A97 EVO over the M5A97 (vanilla as I call it) as it lacks fine LLC controls.

Other than the LLC controls not having fine adjustment, the M5A97 is a solid board for single gfx setups and minimal overclocking. My vanilla is pretty much at its limits due to CPU voltage controls and heat (caused by lack of fine LLC adjustment).

As far as Asus board quality, I rocked an Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe for YEARS. That thing was a tank, standing up to a cat standing half on the on/off switch on my surge protector just enough to cause massive power flux and fry one stick of corsair ram back in the day... the Asus board took it like a champ, and kept running for like 4 years after that incident. Bought the board back in '06, and finally replaced it Dec '11...

On a side note, pre-maxtor seagates are amazing... had two 80Gs in a RAID 0 for the life of that M2N32SLI-Deluxe and they are still kicking!

Last edited:
great

i couldnt agree more bluefalcon about those pre-maxtor seagates.

im an avid and radical overclocker doing funny things besides taking my phenom over 4.5 ghz........

now dropped voltage to 1.125 on cpu vcore @2.8ghz x2
and cpu vid to 1.025 --- stable.

m5a970 evo has and is a troublemaker ................ still pondering

my question remains....... will 16gb @1600 mhz @ 9-9-9-24 run on the 970 or 990 chipset.

it does not on the 880g AND WHY DONT THE MANUFACTURERS CLEARLY STATE IT---:bang head:argue::mad::mad::temper:
only upto 12gb

i couldnt agree more bluefalcon about those pre-maxtor seagates.

im an avid and radical overclocker doing funny things besides taking my phenom over 4.5 ghz........

now dropped voltage to 1.125 on cpu vcore @2.8ghz x2
and cpu vid to 1.025 --- stable.

m5a970 evo has and is a troublemaker ................ still pondering

my question remains....... will 16gb @1600 mhz @ 9-9-9-24 run on the 970 or 990 chipset.

it does not on the 880g AND WHY DONT THE MANUFACTURERS CLEARLY STATE IT---:bang head:argue::mad::mad::temper:
only upto 12gb

Asus has a Ram Compatibility list for a boatload of ram, and how many slots can be populated. I know my Ram is rocking at the 1600, but its only 2 sticks... when you load up 4 sticks is where the IMC gets touchy from what I understand.

my judgement

so as i see fit and will declare the following........

@16 gb 1600 Mhz ram "WILL NOT RUN" on any board except "maybe" ---
crosshair V
990fxa-ud7
and maybe the sabertooth fx

@ 32 gb it may drop down to 1333 MHz on these high end boards....or even less.

as i have clearly seen with other manufacturers that you will get the quality but will have trouble with re-clocking....

which i further conclude on other versions and boards that the ram will DROP down to-----
1333 MHz @ 7-7-7-21 OR 7-7-6-22 with 16gb 1600MHz

On these lower end boards it may even further drop down to 1066 MHz with
32 GB of memory so as to fail-safe decent operation and longevity of the IMC.

If someone with real experience can prove me otherwise and is technically adept please do not hesitate any further and jot down what you think is right or even unsure about.

Another food for thought may be--
how will 1866 Mhz default stack up.................it might actually just work....and drop down to 1600 Mhz..........like i said ...a guestimate..

same for 2133 mhz default.

well someone will have to actually purchase and try whether this is true or not...

:attn:
:welcome:
:comp:

so as i see fit and will declare the following........

@16 gb 1600 Mhz ram "WILL NOT RUN" on any board except "maybe" ---
crosshair V
990fxa-ud7
and maybe the sabertooth fx

@ 32 gb it may drop down to 1333 MHz on these high end boards....or even less.

as i have clearly seen with other manufacturers that you will get the quality but will have trouble with re-clocking....

which i further conclude on other versions and boards that the ram will DROP down to-----
1333 MHz @ 7-7-7-21 OR 7-7-6-22 with 16gb 1600MHz

On these lower end boards it may even further drop down to 1066 MHz with
:)32 GB of memory so as to fail-safe decent operation and longevity of the IMC.

If someone with real experience can prove me otherwise and is technically adept please do not hesitate any further and jot down what you think is right or even unsure about.

Another food for thought may be--
how will 1866 Mhz default stack up.................it might actually just work....and drop down to 1600 Mhz..........like i said ...a guestimate..

same for 2133 mhz default.

well someone will have to actually purchase and try whether this is true or not...

:attn:
:welcome:
:comp:

Technically, I am running 1866, but only dozer supports 1866 from the factory.... I just let my ram run at defaults, and cause I don't want to deal with the IMC :)

MAJOR ERROR ON MY PART

The results and ideas i have posted are inaccurate.
anybody reading the above must know that it is inaccurate...

Got a tip from gskill that most probably my dimm sticks are bad.
i checked and ran memtest........figures 4gb x2 sticks were bad.:bang head
gskill tech confirmed that these ran full 1600mhz with 16gb on my mobo.

Got them rma'ed.
slotted them in............
now running at 9-8-8-22 16gb @ 1600mhz with 1.175volts to NB-CPU.:popcorn::popcorn:

all problems solved.:salute:

Back