• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-6OXET-C vs. Abit ST6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bonka, you’re right , I missunderstood what was writen there :( So I think I’ll buy Abit ST6 and keep the live value to see if I’ll be ok with the AC97. If I like AC97 then I’ll sell the live value.

You'll want to keep SB Live, I'm pretty sure of it. The AC97 ain't too good, even if you don't OC. I get ALOT of artifacts when I abruptly turn off my winamp or anything. Must be interference of sorts.

I'm not one to bash anyone or anything usually. I am very honest though. The GA6OXET-C does have an odd bug with the restart/reboot thing, that is for certain. That in itself is a reason not to get it. I don't know if the cause of the inability to overclock the 1.0A is the fault of a bad chip, the mobo or a combo of both. The reboot bug certainly did not help matters.

so basically what ive understood is that the ST6 offers about the same performance as the gigabyte, only much more stable. although it doesnt have the same funky dividers and o/c settings, they are both great overclockers.

but since ive heard nothing but good news from st6 owners, i think thats where im headed. not saying the gigabyte is not a good one, it just hasnt yeilded the right cheers from fellow overclockers as the st6 has.

PS- any leads on how much the tually 1.3 is going to be?:D

i think 1.30 will be around $270 margin, for 1.2 =259, 1.26=266 (oem). unless it comes with some new feature, i would say it is logically the same price of its little bro.

The 1.2 Cel-T around the Vancouver area is about $160 Cdn for the OEM. I'd expect the 1.3 to be under $200Cdn.

I'm looking at the 1.0a or 1.1a to go with my new Abit ST6-R but I'm having a hard time finding any around town. But it might be better for me to wait anyways, to find out the best one to get from other people's overclocking experiences.

I am very happy with my ST6-R though. I've been able to overclock my current PIII600e a tad bit better compared to my P3V4X, and get better memory scores with it. (even with the memory tweaks for the Via) It's been very stable for me as well.

Can't wait to put the Tualatin in!

I would say the Gigabyte board is every bit as stable as the St-6....However, if you find your chip dosen't like 'resetting' you need to bump the default vcore up using the vidpin method (which you need to do on the St-6 anyway!) as 815 chipsets seem to drop the vcore to default right on inital boot up (before the bios post screen)....Once at the bios post screen the board then sets the vcore to the value specified in the bios....

This is a problem that appears to be present in many 815 chipset mobos....Not just the Gigabyte. You don't notice it with the St-6 as you have to vidpin that board to up the vcore anyay....

And the Gigabyte mobo has 1/5th and 1/6th pci dividers....I've seen crazy japs with the board at 190 mhz FSB!!

No idea....Can't read japaneese and can't be bothered using translating options!

just got my board:) need at least 3 hours to restore everything, cannot wait to see how far this board go!! with my 800eb.. P1.26 will arrive on 9 or 10th...wa hahahahah.. oc like crazy

Flu!d said:
I would say the Gigabyte board is every bit as stable as the St-6....However, if you find your chip dosen't like 'resetting' you need to bump the default vcore up using the vidpin method (which you need to do on the St-6 anyway!) as 815 chipsets seem to drop the vcore to default right on inital boot up (before the bios post screen)....Once at the bios post screen the board then sets the vcore to the value specified in the bios....

This is a problem that appears to be present in many 815 chipset mobos....Not just the Gigabyte. You don't notice it with the St-6 as you have to vidpin that board to up the vcore anyay....

And the Gigabyte mobo has 1/5th and 1/6th pci dividers....I've seen crazy japs with the board at 190 mhz FSB!!

What is this that you are saying?

You can run a vcore to 1.6v in BIOS(actually 1.64v in reality) and it would never would have a problem. Alot of people don't need that extra voltage anyway with the cel 1.2 usually.

The ST6 keeps the vcore at what it was set at guarenteed. There was no way a default of 1.675v would boot my new cel 1.2 @ 1.6 like it did. I know these things and the ST6 does not do what you are saying. The TUSL2 doesn't either!

The following is quoted from the [H]OCP forums from an Asus TUSL2-C user asking fellow users why the TUSL2-C was such a poor board....

Well I think I have figured out the voltage thing that some people are talking about. The vcore is adjustable for Tualatin cores now with 1010 BIOS but it seems as if the same cold boot problem still exists with the TUSL2 series as was present in the CUSL2 series with the default voltage being applied on cold boot which will not allow some people to boot initially at their max overclock without entering the BIOS, making the change and then exiting and then booting. This was a known "feature/problem" with the CUSL2 boards.

And I heard of this problem 'many' times when the CUSL2 series mobos were first released and I have heard of people complaining of it many times with the TUSL2 series of mobo's....

I don't 'make stuff up'....

You won't recognise the fault on the St-6 due to the fact that you 'have' to vid pin on that mobo....The default voltage 'becomes' whatever you vid pin it to....

But if you don't like the mobo....Fine by me, i've never had any problems with the two i've had and neither has many others or the crazy Japaneese at 190mhz FSB....And I participate in many more forums than just this one.

I think this has all turned into some kind of crazy 'witch hunt'!:eek:

I cant comment on TUSL2 yet, I will in a few days. I could tell you that I NEVER had a cold/warm boot problem with a CUSL2 EVER. I had a PIII 550E @ 733, 700E @ 933, 1000EB @ 1125. All of them worked perfectly. The GA6OXET on the other hand, had terrible problems with this. The Exact same 1000EB @ 1125 that ran perfect in the CUSL2 @ stock 1.75 Vcore has warm boot problems on the Gigabyte board. On top of that, I had to go to 1.8 vcore to get it stable. Another flaw if you are a Coppermine user, 1.8 Vcore is max. That is on the light side if you are doing any serious overclocking. The 1/5 PCI divider @ 160 FSB did not work either. I tried it and got a BSOD every time. Sorry, way too buggy a board for me. I'll stick with ASUS or ABIT.

If you do a search on allmost any of the overclocking forums you will find 'many' instances of the CUSL2 series of mobo's having an issue with warm booting....It was a real problem when they were in their prime....

I also have in my posession a P3 1000EB which ran @ 151 mhz with 1.75 volts just fine (I didn't like going 'over' 1.75 volts as temps went out of control with the stock Intel cooler!)....Did that speed for months before I cranked it up to 155 and 160 mhz FSB for a while, and not once did I experience any problems resetting and firing up the system at all! And it was rock stable....

In all instances I was using 'generic' RAM @ CAS 2,3,2,7/9.

And the 1/5 pci divider worked wonders for me not to mention the Japaneese @ 190 mhz FSB (the first time I have ever seen that speed on a S370 mobo)

But, then again, I have the top of the line XET and not the XET-C....Mabye they're is a difference....I know I can run my FSB @ 166mhz with my RAM @ 125 mhz via the dip switches on the mobo....The XET-C dosen't even 'have' the dip switches!

Maybe the XET is better than the -C, maybe not. Looking at the board, BIOS and manual, they just leave off a few components to make it a -C. Maybe they have quality control problems and you have to be lucky to get a good one. I had 2 and neither worked well. I can read all kinds of stuff on the web. I can also compare a CUSL2 and a GA6OXET sitting side by side. One works great and one has warm boot problems, freezes, poor overclocking support. Features that don't work such as the 1/5 PCI. No comparison between the two. BTW, CUSL2 can run 133/100 FSB/Mem with just a BIOS setting.

Explain to me why I could run the GA6OXET 160 FSB 40 PCI 80 AGP and it worked fine. When I used the PLL/16 for a 160 FSB 30 PCI 60 AGP I would BSOD every time I tried to load Windows? I wouldn't call that a working feature. You say it worked for you. I can tell you for certain, it doesn't work on my board.

I sold the C1.0A already. I would have loved to see how it did in the TUSL2. It will be going in an MSI 815E board. I'll let you know how it works in that board early next week.

I won't get into a flame war on this. Its not my style. The board may (apparently does) work well in the right circumstance. With the Vid pin mod done, the C1.0A @ 1.4 GHz, 1.65 Vcore was working very well. The board has some flaws as far as I'm concerned.
1) 1.8 Vcore max is not enough for a Coppermine overclocker
2) Very prone to warm start problems
3) ???? C1.0A should have overclocked much better than it did. ****This is still an unknown until that CPU is run in a different board****EDIT. This is not the fault of the GA6OXET. I now see another person with similar results with an ST6.
4) PLL/16 (1/5 PCI) will not work. Causes a BSOD.
5) No BIOS support of 133/100 FSB/Ram timings
6) BIOS will not reset itself to a safe default value if overclocking settings cause a non boot condition. A CUSL2 will do this. You have to clear CMOS on the Gigabyte.
7) Requires higher Vcore than ASUS for same overclock, has warm boot problem when ASUS did not with identical CPU.
8) Others on this site seem to have issues getting past 148 FSB without Prime95 errors.
9) Only 2 rear USB ports (minor thing, but it matters to me).

I wouldn't be saying negative things about this product if I didn't think they were true. Those that followed the threads know that I really tried to get it to work well. I appreciate all the help I got from everyone including Fluid, but IMHO, there are better boards than this. If you are running < 133 FSB, the ABIT ST6 looks good. For > 133, ST6 or TUSL2 are good bets.

Last edited:
My board runs up to 1.825 volts vcore and you won't get any higher than that using a cumine processor on a Tualatin ready mobo....

1.825 volts is the highest the new VRM spec will allow....So the TUSL2 will be exactly the same in terms of maximum voltage....

If you want higher stick with your CUSL2....That's running the older VRM spec.

Others on this site are trying to get over 148mhz FSB using a Tualatin 1.26 gig server chip....These chips are notorious for not overclocking as high as the 256k varieties (with the exception, possibly, of a few lucky finds....But I have yet to see one) and 148 mhz FSB or about 1.45ghz seems to be their limit.

LIke I said....I ran 151mhz FSB for months at 1.75 volts CAS 2,3,2,7/9 on generic RAM with no probs at all and prime 95 is the program I use to test for stability.

My board always resets to defaults if the board will not boot....There is a jumper you have to set on the mobo to allow for this feature.

Back