• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 upgrade to 990FX after the 890 fried!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thezfunk

Registered
Here is my plight. Today my Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 shut itself off. The monitor and keyboard and mouse all went dark for no reason. A reset and even hitting the power button did nothing. I turned the power switch on my PS off and opened up the case to see what I could find. I certainly found the issue.
2011-11-13%25252020.41.40.jpg

2011-11-13%25252020.41.24.jpg

2011-11-13%25252020.42.01.jpg

I have no idea what caused this and this motherboard has been operating flawlessly for me for quite some time. I was contemplating a video card upgrade but it looks like I will have quite a bit more ahead of me. I want to stick with my 1090T since I had a great and stable 4.0GHz overclock and BD seems to be less than what I had hoped.

I figure if I am going to buy a new MB it should be a 990 based board. My main concern is my RAID 0. If I get a 990 board, will I be able to plug in my drives and have the RAID 0 recognized? I know I was able to do this with Intel boards in the past.

I also would like some board suggestions. What are good 990 boards? I probably will buy that new EVGA dual 560TI card so SLI is something I want. I also won't buy an ASUS board. I see the ASROCK boards have good reviews but I haven't seen ASROCK as a viable high end board for years. Gigabyte? MSI?

1. Sudden failure could be cpu shorted.

2. Sudden failure could be VRM circuit shorted but should show signs under the VRM heat sink.

3. Sudden failure might be extended use of an underpowered power supply.

4. Sudden failure resulting from extended use of a loose and less conductive 8 pin socket which would have had evidence leading up to the failure of heat at the socket and connector.

IF it is a shorted cpu, it would be very wise to pay very very close attention when trying it in a brand new board of any brand.

I have Gigabyte's 890FX and 890GX mbs. They haven't posted bios updates or any other updates for almost a year. I think they are abandoning support for AMD mbs. It is my intention to go with another manufacture for the next round of upgrades. After spending good money and being happy with Gigabyte I feel they are letting loyal customers down. Newegg doesn't even carry the Gigabyte 890's any more; it's all 880's and 990's, aside from the lack of performance in the Gigabyte 990's. The price of Gigabyte 890 mbs at amazon has gone up $30 to $40 dollars.

I decided to get an Asus Sabertooth 990FX after all. So far, I can't really complain. Gigabyte has approved my RMA and we will see how they handle the board once they get it. My RAID 0 booted right up without issues. Windows 7 needed a reboot to straighten out the drivers but it's all good now!

Back