• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P and Samsung Pro 840 256GIG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

Hi, so i just recently got a Samsung Pro 840, and occasionally it would freeze up for a good 30 to 50 secs depending on the tasks i attend to in my computer.

For example when i would let say quit BF4 real fast it would freeze for a good 30secs then resume as normal. It doesn't happen everytime but time to time it occurs. Or if i quit Google chrome real fast and jump into opening another program these freezes would occur.

This never happened to my Western Digital Black HDs which as 7200 rpms, but was wondering why this is happening to me?

My Gigabyte board all the Sata slots are Sata 3s, so i am sure i didn't connect my Sata CABLE from my Samsung pro into the wrong slot.

I read in another from that i am suppose to have AHCI mode enable? In bios mode?

So far the past 6 to 8 hours i haven't received any freezes from playing BF4 or any other games/programs. IMAG0112.jpg

It is better to have SSDs run in AHCI mode > yes. If O/S not installed with mode to AHCI, just swapping in bios will cause no bootup. Have to mod registry first and then reboot to bios and change to AHCI mode.

You might check windows event viewer and see if there is a code given at the time of the freezeup that might give better idea as to what is causing the issue.

RGone...

hi thanks for the quick response. So i did have AHCI enabled in bios and it did give me a boot error when i try to boot into my SSD which has windows installed already. So i had to repair/reboot it, and now everything is running fine. Am i okay if i leave it like this? Or is it best to re install windows 8.1 again into this SSD? But only this time now i have the AHCI enabled..

You should be fine with that simple reg edit. All it does is tell windows to use the AHCI drivers that are already included. Now if you have had a lot of crashing/blue screens then you may want to reinstall but other than that you're good to go.

The repair/reboot will have done the registry editing for him.
Should be good to go as-is.

Hi, thank you all for the quick response and for the info.

Now one thing i noticed when i enabled AHCI is that my temps went a bit up for my CPU? It increased about 2-5% i would say, is that something normal? Cause before my temps would run around 22c to 33c idle, now it is going around 35c close to 41c idle (i have a water cooling unit for my cpu, antec 920)

I know the weather is getting warm here in Toronto, Canada but even with the same weather type i was getting last week prior to me enabling AHCI my tems were still going around 22c to 33c.

Honestly, knowing AHCI is the preferred mode, I have never tried the IDE type mode so no idea of any temp increase experience. There is 'more' to be attended to with the AHCI driver, so maybe the cpu has more work to do even at idle. Seems logical on the surface.

RGone...

Also what if i disable AHCI just for testing purposes will that still mess up my Windows settings?

I don't think you do to switch back to IDE... but I could be mistaking. I remember when troubleshooting something be able to toggle back to IDE when AHCI was installed/enabled. But you cannot go 'forward' to AHCI without the registry entry.

Back