• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3] - change from AHCI to RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzieroadrunner

Hi there
I want to add additional storage to my rig and would like to add an E:\ as RAID-1. I bought 2x 2TB drives for this.
However my current BIOS setting is for AHCI.
If I change to RAID, will that affect my existing drives & windows installation?
Thanks

It shouldn't. It will read all 3 drives, just set up the two you want in raid and should be set.

Raid drivers must be installed during the initial installation of Windows as far as I know. I don't think you can change from AHCI to RAID and have a functional RAID without reinstalling the OS. I haven't built a RAID configuration in some years but that's how it used to be.

Raid drivers must be installed during the initial installation of Windows as far as I know. I don't think you can change from AHCI to RAID and have a functional RAID without reinstalling the OS. I haven't built a RAID configuration in some years but that's how it used to be.

I know it used to be this going from IDE to AHCI, but thought for the most part RAID mode treated individual drives as AHCI and didn't need an OS reinstall? And I think the drivers only need to be side loaded during the install if the RAID is the "boot drive", otherwise the indivudal drive just needs to be set as the 1st boot device and RAID drivers can be installed later.

I know it used to be this going from IDE to AHCI, but thought for the most part RAID mode treated individual drives as AHCI and didn't need an OS reinstall? And I think the drivers only need to be side loaded during the install if the RAID is the "boot drive", otherwise the indivudal drive just needs to be set as the 1st boot device and RAID drivers can be installed later.
This.

Raid has ahci in it. There isnt a need to reg hack ike ide to ahci without reinstall).

Since these are storage drives, it shouldn't matter.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've only used RAID for boot drives.

Back