• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte no longer posts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ksot

Registered
Hello all, I built my own PC 4 years ago.

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
G.Skill F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ 3 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
GeForce GTX 295 Video
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Corsair 1000HX Modular PSU
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366 RT

Everything went fine until recently. I noticed when I would restart it wouldn't load back up. I had to shut it down and restart it again, but it would always work the second time. Now it happened again and it isn't starting at all. I mean the power runs and the fans spin and the lights on the mobo and videocard both seem positive, but I cannot get anything on the screen. I have to shut it down by holding down the power button.

I have tried the clear bios button, I have tried using only 1 stick of RAM and swapping them around, and I put in a new CMOS battery. None of them did the trick, it still just turns on and hangs with no output. There are no beeps of any kind to clue me into the problem.

What can I do next?

Forgiveness but how do I flash a bios to it?

Thanks!

Forgiveness but how do I flash a bios to it?

Thanks!

Read how to do it at Gigabytes site, or your manual, flashing is no joke. If you don't understand how to do it, you can brick your board. Its not hard you just need to make sure you fully understand the steps.

Sounds like the board is dead. Could also be bad/failing power supply.
If the board is dead (no post, no nothing) ya really cant flash it. Need to be able to post to flash. Check with another GOOD (and strong, single 12 volt rail, PSU) to eliminate the power supply as the problem. We will go from there.

Ugh have to buy more things just to test it... I think I'm going to bite the bullet and bring it to the local PC shop tomorrow, he said he could diagnose it for $30. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Things like this happen with electronics. Using a multimeter is NOT enough to properly test a PSU. You need to find out how many AMPs the PSU is able to put out. If you do not have a PSU handy, you could ask a friend or family member I they have one you could borrow. But it sound to me like the board just died. Good luck with it. Hope it goes well for ya.

Result of the diagnosis, they said the motherboard is dead but they also said when they tested the PSU on another machine it didn't load about 3 out of 15 times and they were worried it may have been the cause of the dead motherboard, does that sound possible to you? It was my understanding that the corsair would just die on it's own when it eventually failed.

Anyway, can someone recommend me a new Mobo to go with my system? The old one is out of production.

Also a new PSU if you think it's necessary.

And I guess since I'm essentially making a new build here, I would like a new casing as well, I don't like my current one very much as my fan placements are awkward and in the way... can you recommend one that maybe already has the proper amount of fans built in so I won't have to ever worry about cooling other than the heatsink?

Thanks so much you guys!

Last edited:
Ive had a power supply go bad and it took out motherboard, cpu and video card. I wasnt amused so it can happen. This is why I NEVER go cheap on a power supply. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Im interested if anyone still makes boards for this cpu cause I have the same one.

Ugh you're saying I'm gonna need a new CPU as well? Sigh...

The PSU cost like $260 that's not cheap right?

ksot you need to get a cpu support list, I only checked 2 of the boards you listed and neither would support your cpu. You're probably going to have a tough time finding a new 1366 motherboard that is affordable because it's a bit outdated now. You would probably be better off looking for a used one or biting the bullet and upgrading the system and selling the i7 920.

Thanks for the tip Mandrake!

All of the ex-58 models seem to be out of stock but Newegg did have this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...33&Tpk=gigabyte g1 assassin&IsVirtualParent=1

Which is a little more than I wanted to pay but still far cheaper than new Mobo + CPU. There do seem to be a lot of complaints in the reviews though o_O

Then this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128551

Half the price but no warranty so it's probably risky. Will this work since it's Intel 1155 and not 1366? The list I got from gigabyte doesn't specify which models of the sniper would or wouldnt work.

I don't use my PC for high end gaming really, just videos, Civilization 5 and poker. I do use it all the time though. Which would you get?

Last edited:
Ok guys nevermind, I was able to contact the guy who helped me put my PC together and he convinced me to just tough it out until the new Haswell CPUs come out and upgrade to one of them. Thanks a lot for your help, best of luck with all your computing issues.

Ive had a power supply go bad and it took out motherboard, cpu and video card. I wasnt amused so it can happen. This is why I NEVER go cheap on a power supply. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Im interested if anyone still makes boards for this cpu cause I have the same one.

Never cheap out on the brand or spec's of a PSU, advice I follow now too

Ugh you're saying I'm gonna need a new CPU as well? Sigh...

The PSU cost like $260 that's not cheap right?

There are lots of great PSUs well under that price, plenty in the $100-$200 range, even smaller wattage ones under $100

For your rig a quality 500W would be plenty

Never cheap out on the brand or spec's of a PSU, advice I follow now too

There are lots of great PSUs well under that price, plenty in the $100-$200 range, even smaller wattage ones under $100

For your rig a quality 500W would be plenty

+1 don't cheep out on the PSU. I was just working on a PC that lightning struck it and the motherboard was fried and CPU, HDD, SSD, DVD, all because of a cheap power supply unit.:eek:

Back