• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Z290 Aorus Ultra how to get vcore to drop under idle CPU loads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPL Tech

SpeedStep is enabled and the processor downclocks under idle loads, but the voltage is fixed at 1.37v. I do I enable adaptive (MSI term) voltage control so that the CPU will drop in voltage under idle loads instead of always stays pegged at 1.37v? I called Gigabyte and they were completely useless.

potentially the power options, make sure not on high performance

If you have the voltage set manually/static, you need to set that back to auto and use the adaptive voltage instead. It is based on the stock voltage (+/-).

If you have the voltage on auto and it isn't dropping, set the power plan to balanced like dejo said.

If you have the voltage set manually/static, you need to set that back to auto and use the adaptive voltage instead. It is based on the stock voltage (+/-).

If you have the voltage on auto and it isn't dropping, set the power plan to balanced like dejo said.

Alright I tried the offset voltage mode and it is absolutely unstable. I tried an offset of -0.3v and the system wont even boot half the time. But the other half when I do get it to boot, CPUZ is telling me the vcore is like 1.45V which is waaay more than what I need at 4.8 Ghz. Still, half the time the computer wont even boot at that voltage. All other settings in the mobo are set to defaults which seems to imply the stepping tables are messed up. In the past, the voltage always dropped with the core multiplier. Meaning, the voltage only went down when the multiplier downclocked as well. With this Gigabyte board they are separate. The voltage is dropping as low as 0.9v while the multiplier is still at x48 if the CPU load is very low. I am not sure if that's causing the instability but I feel like dropping the voltage while the multiplier is at max clock is not a smart idea.

Overall I've been really disappointed in this Z390 platform. I bought an MSI board which had jacked audio drivers that I could never fix. So then I got this Gigabyte board and now have this issue with insane voltage requirements. Even with the computer set to manual mode, I still need a solid 1.38V just to get 4.8 Ghz and I am not even sure that's 100% stable. I might need 1.39v. That's absolutely absurd for 4.8 GHz. People are hitting 5.2 with that voltage on this chip. Of course both MSI and Gigabyte's tech support is pretty non-existent. Basically just some rando in another country reading off a card.

I feel like all motherboard manufacturers completely suck with regards to support with the exception of Evga which has 24/7 phone support from Americans who live in America and actually know what the various settings in the BIOS mean. Too bad their Z390 motherboards kind of suck for the cost otherwise I would have gone with them.

Back