• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from a triple to a double

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Alright, I think I want to have all of my stuff internally. All I can handle in my CM690 on top is a 2x120 or a 2x140 radiator. Now my question is, how much perofrmance will I loose doing this.
I plan on using this rad

i wouldn't get that rad, i would go with a Swiftech MCR220 at least.

they are thin and single pass and thus are no good.

Too bad you have an invalid email addy for Classified Access, Dapman02. There are some PA160 rads for sale there for $60 + shipping, which is a damn good price. And a PA160 will cool the PII very well too; it's what I'm using in the loop on mine and temps run in the low 40's while running Seti.

With a CPU-only loop you shouldn't have any trouble dissipating heat with a 2x 140mm radiator. And if it would look better or be more convenient, I'd say to go for it. We're not trying to overclock P4 920's or anything anymore. But your dual 4870's, like you've realized, are out of the question. :) You could get some idea of how much you need to dissipate by playing with fan speeds on your current setup. If you crank them way up and things don't cool down, you might be able to get away with less and keep temps the same.

i wouldn't get that rad, i would go with a Swiftech MCR220 at least.

they are thin and single pass and thus are no good.

Hey! I've GOT that Rad and I'm averaging about 35c!

Granted, I'm using high speed fans... but my pump is so damned loud I can't even hear them. :)

Last edited:
With a CPU-only loop you shouldn't have any trouble dissipating heat with a 2x 140mm radiator. And if it would look better or be more convenient, I'd say to go for it. We're not trying to overclock P4 920's or anything anymore. But your dual 4870's, like you've realized, are out of the question. :) You could get some idea of how much you need to dissipate by playing with fan speeds on your current setup. If you crank them way up and things don't cool down, you might be able to get away with less and keep temps the same.

hmmm....where would I find this mystical 2x140mm radiator.

I remember that the Black Ice Pro radiators used to be decent, and they say it's better than those - at $70 it looks like an alright deal. I've actually never used a standard radiator - I went from heatercores to voigt's old MG Metro radiator, so I'm not the one to ask. I didn't have a particular radiator in mind, but I saw that in the first post you mentioned 2x140mm as a possibility, so I figured you had some idea. :)

Pair that with some Yate Loon 140mm fans and it would be nice and quiet. The Yate Loon 140mm's use the sleeve bearing motor from the 120mm models, so it's a relatively small hub and a very popular motor for its noise profile.

Hey! I've GOT that Rad and I'm averaging about 35c!

Granted, I'm using high speed fans... but my pump is so damned loud I can't even hear them. :)

sorry to hear that... lol

unless i see some proof the only black ice series i would personally buy would be the thick GTX series.

i'm very happy with my swiftech rads though.

What do you guys think of the
Black Ice® GTS

A 2x140mm radiator would be perfect for my CM690.

since your board, mod your case to fit a MCR320. its cheaper and will no doubt cool a tad bit better then the one you linked to.

but of the 2 choices you linked to dapman i would get the 140mm GTS

Back