• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good 80x25mm 40-50CFM fan w/rpm monitoring?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

I'm looking for a 80x25mm fan to put on my SK-7 that moves about 40-50 cfm, also, I want to be able to monitor the RPM's, since its gonna be on my processor.

I know the power connector will probably be 4 pin molex, but I want a seperate RPM wire like on the Vantec Tornado.

Can anyone help me out here?

Btw, anyone ever changed the fan on their SK-7 while it was still on the mobo? since it uses clips I think it would be sort of difficult.

Hey gingo.

I'm using one of these variable units on my AX-7. Fits the specs your asking for perfectly,

Link below...

www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=127&manufactory=1564&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

I would not recommend changing fans on the cooler while it is mounted. The thermal interface takes a set after a little time and if you disturb it, it will not perform as well after. Best to do it off the MB and reapply some thermal paste.

I have bumped my Cooler while working in the case, and afterwards
temps went up some. I had to take it off and reapply HS Compound to get the best cooling back.

Last edited:
thanks for suggestion, but I'm not really looking for one with the variable speed thing on it. Just a plain fan with a seperate wire for rpm monitoring. I plan to use a Rheobus if it gets too loud.

gingo said:
thanks for suggestion, but I'm not really looking for one with the variable speed thing on it. Just a plain fan with a seperate wire for rpm monitoring. I plan to use a Rheobus if it gets too loud.

Hmmm, lets see. You want a fan with rpm monitoring, and if its too loud you wanna add a rheobus.

HardwareJedi suggested a fan for you (a good on I might add) that has rpm monitoring AND has a speed control that will allow you to quiet the fan down if its too loud. Why not just buy it like that rather than 'add' it later if you need it? Saves you the trouble. This is what you say you want, it just has the control on it already. No assembly required. :D

Because I do not want any extra wires comming off the fan, I dont want to have to mount the little controller somewhere, or leave it hanging there. And I already have a rheobus.

Just a simple, 80mm fan with rpm monitoring withing those specs is what I'm looking for....

What about the first YS-Tech fan on that page. Moves 48.5 cfm at 37dba. I would say it's even better if you already have rheobus because for only a 0.2 cfm loss you get a 2.5 dba loss (highest setting). Am I wrong here folks?

I've been playing with fans on my AX-478 (looks the same to a fan as an AX-7) and here's what I found. I was using a Thermatake 8025a fan (2900 rpm/37cfm, three wire header, rpm) and it works well. Knowing that the Everflow fan sold by Thermaltake is not a high tech device, I tried one of the YS Tech variable speed fans from newegg. Although I have had really good results from YS Tech fans in the past this one is a loser compared to the Thermaltake. At comparable noise levels the Thermaltake is spinning faster and cooling better. I can't stand the noise if I turn the YS Tech up even to a level that matches the temps posted by the Thermaltake. In addition the rpm wire on the YS Tech read 3850rpm regardless of the actual speed of operation.

I'm going back to the Thermaltake 8025a fan on my machine. It's very quiet and posts good temps. I've already scratched the YS Tech 48.5cfm fan (either adjustable or not) fans off my list of possible alternatives. The Panaflow or Sunon 35-50cfm fans are left to be tried, but the Thermaltake does a suprisingly good job.

BTW, people often mark the Thermaltake fans way up, I think I paid all of 3.50 or 5 bucks at the most wholesale for the 8025a I have. It's not an expensive device and runs easily off the mb header and reports rpm. It's always best to choose the best fan for the job rather than attenuate a noisy fan, as often times better cooling for a given noise level results.

-lol- It's sort of subjective and relative larva. I went from a delta 60 /SK-6 to the YS Tech 80/AX-7, so you can guess the YS tech wins hands down in that comparo of noise. I have no special attachment to the YS tech, and just offered up a suggestion to gingo as one alternative I knew of. As I sit here and type this, Folding client is running in the tray, and my CPU die temp is 41.5c . Under heavy load it goes up a few c. When I'm just surfing, I can turn down the Fan to where I can't hear it, and still get temps in the 46-48c range at idle, so for my useage, it's just fine. :) To each his own.

Good reasons then for not wanting that fan. Other than the fan Larva mentioned, the only other one I know Sunon and Speeze/Fanner Tech both have some that push about 36cfm, but most fans Ive seen between 40-50cfm dont have rpm monitoring.

thanks for all the replies, I guess its going to be harder than it seems to find exactley what I'm looking for (if one exists).

is the Thermaltake Smartfan II a posibility? it moves 75cfm, but is really loud at full speed... its got the rheostat as an option, but i'd suggest you just set it to a tolerable level and forget it inside ye case... just a thought.

the sunon KD1208PTBX-6A moves 50cfm at 40dB, runs on 3wire, and you can surely find 3-4pin converters that have rpm wires... hope it helps

better yet, buy the 83cfm sunon and change the wires to the 3 pin rpm for a 7v mod, it will be 80x38 but i bet it will perform much better than the fans stated with lower noise, for $10 you cant go wrong!!!

besides it can be fun :)

If you want something with a descent noise to CFM ratio look no further than the Panaflo line. I have 3 of them in my case and all you hear is the air moving, minimal bearing noise too!!!

Its a little pricey at $25 CAD, but you get what you pay for!

Here Panaflo 80mm Ultra

Back