• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good over ear headphones?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

Looking for some over ear headphones that are between 12+Hz-25+KHz. Lower than 45 ohms is possible and 97+dB.

From my understanding the higher the Hz the deeper/more "bass" the headset has, the higher the KHz the better the clarity, the lower the ohmz the more power and the higher the dB the higher the volume correct?

I currently have some MDR-V6's which I have had for almost 4 years. They are starting to sound a bit distorted (very mild crackling) due to the headset wearing. I have looked around but not all websites state headphones specs so some suggestions on brands would be nice. Looking at 100-120 tops including s&h +tax.

Last edited:
Looking for some over ear headphones that are between 12+Hz-25+KHz. Lower than 45 ohms is possible and 97+dB.

From my understanding the higher the Hz the deeper/more "bass" the headset has, the higher the KHz the better the clarity, the lower the ohmz the more power and the higher the dB the higher the volume correct?

I currently have some MDR-V6's which I have had for almost 4 years. They are starting to sound a bit distorted (very mild crackling) due to the headset wearing. I have looked around but not all websites state headphones specs so some suggestions on brands would be nice. Look at 100-120 tops including s&h +tax.

The average human hears about 20Hz to 20Khz.
You should look at Audio Technica ATH M50. It's an on-ear, not over ear, but it's widely regarded as the best affordable unit.

These? Those are like normal earbud specs. I can notice the difference between earbuds and headphones. What is the diff between the on/over ear? The V6's are on ear correct?

If you go by specs alone to buy speakers or headphones you will be spectacularly disappointed by the results. I have listened to the M50s and I like them better than my $300+ Denon headphones.

Sound is very subjective. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. A headphone may have a 8Hz to 25Khz range, but if the bass is particularly weak in the low end, it won't matter, and they'll sound like crapp.

$99 is a good price for M50s and I seriously doubt you can do better for the money.

I'm not familiar with V6 but on ear means they rest on the actual ear itself and over ear means they rest on your head around your ears.

These? Those are like normal earbud specs. I can notice the difference between earbuds and headphones. What is the diff between the on/over ear? The V6's are on ear correct?

ATH M50's are over ear, at least they are for me? :shock: I tried every headset I could get my hands on from 50-400$. The m50's are not the best, but for the cost they are extremely good. Pro's for these that I really enjoy
1) they are very comfortable
2) they sound great. Not the best, but again, for the money they sound amazing.
3) Decent bass response for heavier musical and gaming moments.
4) they have a great driver, so they dont distort. I can drive the absolute crap out of the signal without it distorting. Your ears will hurt before it breaks up.

99$ is an amazing price for those, go get em!
if you have a guitar center near by, they will price match and you can leave the store with them that day (thats how I got mine!).

And finally, Hz ratings really don't mean crap. Thats simply their audio range. Most decent headphones over 50$ have similar frequency ranges. (5-20ish to 35-45)

Found a review from an audiophile over on head-fi:

I've owned the V6's for several years.
Don't listen to them much anymore, but coincidentally did listen to them last night.

Owned the M50's twice; one curly cord and one straight cord.
Both have been sold.

The V6 is brighter than the M50 = more top; more treble.
It can wear on you after a while.
Bottom on the V6 is good, satisfying.
Bottom on the M50 is somewhat better = deeper.
M50 has more bass but not so much that it's a "basshead" headphone.

Midrange sounds more natural to me on the M50.

Both are made well and comfortable to wear.
Both fold for portability.
M50 is larger physically, and a bit heavier IIRC.
Your call on which is more comfortable.

M50 has overall a 'darker' presentation than the V6.
Soundstage? To me, about the same.
Perhaps a slight edge to the V6, but with closed headphones
you're not going to get a super soundstage in any event.

Both are easily driven.

I like the M50 more than the V6, but the V6 does have a unique and
sound signature that's attractive to many -
and that's been the case for a long time. They're still used in studios
all over, and they're probably one of the only headphones that's
received literally thousands of positive reviews.
They just sound "right" to a whole lot of people.

Sold my M50 straight cable about a year ago, and the
curly cable about two years ago.

I liked the straight cable version a lot, but picked up a couple
of new closed headphones that I like even more.

The V6's were a bit quiet and lacked a bit of bass when I first started using them, Very good for electronic music but not soo much for the metal genere and or even the bassy electronic music. I want that same clarity with some bass added to it and a bit higher volume.

The V6's were a bit quiet and lacked a bit of bass when I first started using them, Very good for electronic music but not soo much for the metal genere and or even the bassy electronic music. I want that same clarity with some bass added to it and a bit higher volume.

Sounds like m50's are a good choice! :attn:

For 99$ you really aren't going to do better in my opinion. Build quality, sound reproduction, bass response... the only thing "lacking" (and this is me being picky) is noise isolation. Its not as good as some other headphones.

Picking em up then :D

wait wait wait. You have some time to look around man. these are merely 2 suggestions. headphones are so subjective, I'd be remiss if I didnt suggest you spend a couple hours reading reviews and youtube videos.

Haha I'm really really picky with headphones and I had already saw these on reddit earlier so was looking to see if I could find similar headphones for a cheaper price. Unless you guys can suggest some V6's with slight be more bass and at a cheaper price than this I'm going with these. Have no problem returning them if I don't like them either.

Haha I'm really really picky with headphones and I had already saw these on reddit earlier so was looking to see if I could find similar headphones for a cheaper price. Unless you guys can suggest some V6's with slight be more bass and at a cheaper price than this I'm going with these. Have no problem returning them if I don't like them either.

I cant complain about em :attn:

the only headphone I can honestly recommend beneath the m50, are pioneer hdj-500.

I haven't listened to em in a while, gimme 5 minutes to go find em, and I'll A/B for you.

Picking em up then :D

Do you have a Hi-Fi shop near you? There's a place in Toronto called Bay Bloor Radio and they have about 60 different headphones you can try there hooked up to a high quality amp with a splitter. That way you can listen to the same music on different headphones and pick the ones that sound best to you. That's how I've always bought headphones.

They didn't have the M50s to try at that store, but if they'd had them, I would have bought them, as they sounded better than my Denon's which were 3x the price (at least to my ears).

Ah these bad boys. My 500's are pretty old and beat up

Here are the songs Im using to A/B. No country, sorry... Im not sorry but hey :p. Ill report back in 10 minutes for you.

Starting at ~1:45

(my favorite rush song :D)

Do you have a Hi-Fi shop near you? There's a place in Toronto called Bay Bloor Radio and they have about 60 different headphones you can try there hooked up to a high quality amp with a splitter. That way you can listen to the same music on different headphones and pick the ones that sound best to you. That's how I've always bought headphones.

This is the best advice any one can give honestly.

Eh, if these were like 50 bucks, Id say jump all over em. They are a bit cheaper than the m50's but not enough to not warrant the jump. M50's just have a great balanced sound honestly. Not too much of anything, but not flat like my AKG's are either.

On a side note :
If you can make em fit your ears, these are legit the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. They literally make my head rattle. The only problem they are NOT COMFORTABLE. It really broke my heart, because they sound incredible. They have huge drivers, and the bass and treble response is so amazing. I don't mean "they sounded the best for the price", they legit sounded the best from any headphone I've heard, and I've heard some good ones :D

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HDJ-1...=UTF8&qid=1399234832&sr=1-1&keywords=hdj-1500

Skull crushing and or neck aching uncomfortable? Found em here for that exact price. No s&h or tax vs the 112.xx plus a few more days wait due to the massdrop.

Skull crushing and or neck aching uncomfortable? Found em here for that exact price. No s&h or tax vs the 112.xx plus a few more days wait due to the massdrop.

No, the housing is made from magnesium, so its a bit heavy at first. The noise isolation is OUTSTANDING. I can BLAST the speakers, put my hand over the foam, and you cant hear anything. If I have em on, my wife can literally scream at me, and I cant hear... and thats without music on haha.

The problem comes around the 45 minute mark. The foam heats up and gets soft, so the magnesium housing starts putting pressure on the top of your ears. Its fine for like 5 minutes, but then it starts to actually hurt. If you can find a replacement foam (I've been looking :shock:) theyd probably be ok.

These literally clamp on your head. I love that feeling of "its never coming off", and the isolation makes me happy, others HATE that feeling, I dunno. Edit: if they were super comfortable, ATH m50's would never be recommended. M50's are just the "total package" for not too much money.

They 100% sound better than the m50, but its a bit more "niche".

Seeing in reviews it lacks in the lows and the specs are 5Hz-30KHz. Appears the might lack in bass a bit like the V6's but may sound better due to the clamping feel/noise cancelling lol.

Last edited:
Seeing in reviews it lack in the lows and the specs are 5Hz-30KHz. Appears the might lack in bass a bit like the V6's but may sound better due to the clamping feel/noise cancelling lol.

Lacking in lows??? What reviews are you seeing? haha these have the best bass I've ever heard on any headphone :shock:

Seriously, lemme see a link. HDJ 1500 right? The 500 is lacking bass response for sure, but not the 1500s lol.

Back